Thread: The Aton BEAST!

RC Competitor

The Aton BEAST!

I love it! if your thinking of buying one stop thinking and go for it!!! Also im going to share my review of it along with the very first video of the oem camera mount that is included with your traxxas aton purchase!

Enjoy

My review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsb3WHr95Ng

Camera Mount Test
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9l-_rL-8lM

Awesome SummitSS.
    As more info trickles in my waiting gets harder, Lol!

RC Competitor
    LOL i was the same! Didnt even sleep last night just thinking of what to buy , one quick visit to my local hobby shop and it all happened. Any info you might want let me know

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSS View Post
    LOL i was the same! Didnt even sleep last night just thinking of what to buy , one quick visit to my local hobby shop and it all happened. Any info you might want let me know
    I have one quick question while I wait for mine to arrive at my LHS - how quickly do the air brakes take effect for the Aton to come to a stand still/hover if moving at close to full speed (in sport mode, won't even ask about expert yet)?

RC Qualifier
    Great reviews. Mine will be here in a couple days. Is it possible to switch between modes while flying or does it have to be stopped on the ground to switch? Are the motors easy to swap out if needed? Or other parts? Thanks for taking the time for the reviews. Think they hit a home run with design, features and price point. Glad I didn't spend the money on a P3.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by MiStro View Post
    I have one quick question while I wait for mine to arrive at my LHS - how quickly do the air brakes take effect for the Aton to come to a stand still/hover if moving at close to full speed (in sport mode, won't even ask about expert yet)?
    The air brakes are a great safety mechanism, but you can't get around the laws of physics. If you are spiraling towards the ground at 40 MPH, pushing the air brakes 8 feet before you hit is not going to save you. I love the air brake feature since I am basically a novice pilot, but I still love speed. My own experience is that the air brakes take maybe 20' to stop the quad. I wasn't going full speed, however. Leave yourself a safety margin. Remember that the Aton can do 50 MPH. Even high performance sports cars need a lot of room to stop from 50 MPH and they have way more grip.

Good points.
    I guess at least air is more of a constant than ground. Ground can be wet, or muddy, or icy, or nice and dry. Those will all give different results with the same brakes and tires.
    Although your local atmosphere may change a bit depending on weather or season, Aton air brakes and/or general performance should be relatively consistant. Therefore once you're used to how they work and what the limits are you should feel pretty safe.
    Except that we all make mistakes...
    :>p

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    The air brakes are a great safety mechanism, but you can't get around the laws of physics. If you are spiraling towards the ground at 40 MPH, pushing the air brakes 8 feet before you hit is not going to save you. I love the air brake feature since I am basically a novice pilot, but I still love speed. My own experience is that the air brakes take maybe 20' to stop the quad. I wasn't going full speed, however. Leave yourself a safety margin. Remember that the Aton can do 50 MPH. Even high performance sports cars need a lot of room to stop from 50 MPH and they have way more grip.
    Took the words out of my mouth , thanks for the fast reply bud. Uploading some more videos at the moment.

RC Competitor
    I had questions yesterday regarding props and control pads on the transmitter and these are my answers

RC Competitor
    Sport Mode Flight
    Im still a beginner lol but Traxxas makes it very easy to fly the Aton. Its amazing, the stock camera mount holds its own im very impressed.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome job with the videos. My question was can you switch between modes while in flight?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Awesome job with the videos. My question was can you switch between modes while in flight?
    according to the manual, you can do the switch while holding the air brake button... maybe someone with the quad can confirm, but I'm pretty sure you can...

Great vid! Thanks. Man I have to wait a whole week... Ugh

If Aton is armed (motor spinning) you must hold the Air Brakes button and click the right stick to change modes. This prevents accidental mode swaps mid-flight.

If you're disarmed on the ground then it'll swap by just pressing the right stick, no need to hold Air Brakes.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Competitor
    Awesome videos i got mine last night and did first flight little bit ago - love it!

RC Qualifier
    This is going to be my sport mode go to drone! Awesome.
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Competitor
    Thanks!! And yes you can switch modes just the like the comments above. Ill try it tomorrow

I absolutely love my Aton. The power and response of this thing is crazy. I usually fly in expert mode at 100% rudder / elev-aileron rates so I can really throw it around. The awesome part is I can put it in film mode and let my wife (no flying experience) play around without worrying she will lose control.

All of the 3s packs from my Stampede 4x4 / E-Revo fit so no need to buy a bunch more batteries, worry about special chargers or adapters, etc. etc. etc. The 2872 / 2872X (5000 3s) is a tight fit, but it does work. (Just curl the battery wires up when you're connecting them.) The 4200 3s, 4000 3s and 3300 3s work great if you have those. Note: 6400 / 8400 packs do not fit.

I really like the stock 3s 3000mah 20c too. This battery is super-lightweight and gives Aton an incredible climb rate. The extra weight of the 5000 is noticeable to me, but the crazy long flight times balance that out. With it being cold out I'm ready to call it quits before my Aton is
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Racer
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray00Ray View Post
    This is going to be my sport mode go to drone! Awesome.
    You're really going to enjoy it. Turn the rates up (or leave it stock) and have fun.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    I absolutely love my Aton. The power and response of this thing is crazy. I usually fly in expert mode at 100% rudder / elev-aileron rates so I can really throw it around. The awesome part is I can put it in film mode and let my wife (no flying experience) play around without worrying she will lose control.

All of the 3s packs from my Stampede 4x4 / E-Revo fit so no need to buy a bunch more batteries, worry about special chargers or adapters, etc. etc. etc. The 2872 / 2872X (5000 3s) is a tight fit, but it does work. (Just curl the battery wires up when you're connecting them.) The 4200 3s, 4000 3s and 3300 3s work great if you have those. Note: 6400 / 8400 packs do not fit.

I really like the stock 3s 3000mah 20c too. This battery is super-lightweight and gives Aton an incredible climb rate. The extra weight of the 5000 is noticeable to me, but the crazy long flight times balance that out. With it being cold out I'm ready to call it quits before my Aton is
    I can relate , i let my wife fly it also yesterday i was bricks! But she did great and even landed it without any issues, all this without even carrying a quadcopter thats how confident i am with the Aton i love it

I already ordered some extra batts as well.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-07-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: language

RC Champion
    What's the flight time with the Gopro?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by blown68ssrs View Post
    What's the flight time with the Gopro?
    We will find out tomorrow, i did 3 flights today (1)- 4min aerial shoot and (2) - 3 minute sport mode flights. Tx said the RX had 2 bars still so im guessing another 5 minutes or so?