RC Qualifier

xmaxx esc question

Who makes the vxl-6s esc in the xmaxx? Is it arma? And is it equivalent to the esc in their 1/8 scale vehicles. Just trying to get the specs of it. Thanks

RC Competitor
    Traxxas makes the ESC as well as the motor in the xmaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    edit.......
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    Well I know Castle use to make the esc and rebranded some of traxxas's motors. But am I reading this right that the esc and motor in the xmaxx is not rebranded and is made by traxxas?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    Well I know Castle use to make the esc and rebranded some of traxxas's motors. But am I reading this right that the esc and motor in the xmaxx is not rebranded and is made by traxxas?
    correct Traxxas did not team up with Castle on this one
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    correct Traxxas did not team up with Castle on this one
    Ann your sure they didn't team up with arma? The esc looks similar to Armas 180 amp esc. Also how do you guys know that it's is a 1/8 scale esc. I figured it was just by the size of it but I am asking all these questions cause I want to know the specs of it

RC Competitor
    https://traxxas.com/products/landing/X-Maxx/#features

scroll to bottom of page after clicking link there will be your specs for the Traxxas ESC in the Xmaxx "Click on ESC SPECS"

The X-Maxx uses a Traxxas power system.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

The esc is a Traxxas designed esc.
    TRX4(lots of mods), TCP(will stay with me), Custom Summit, GTP Fiero(in rebuild stage), "My Summit" pic is posted in the Summit gallery........and some other things.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thebullx88 View Post
    https://traxxas.com/products/landing/X-Maxx/#features

scroll to bottom of page after clicking link there will be your specs for the Traxxas ESC in the Xmaxx "Click on ESC SPECS"
    Thank you but man traxxas is vague about the specs. Do you guys know how many amps the esc is and the voltage of the bec? Also is the esc programmable? If so how do you do it? They have a link or program card. Thanks

The BEC is 6v, and just standard Traxxas programming is available. ie sport, race, training modes. You can use the app to adjust sensitivity, but this is not like a programming card.
    TRX4(lots of mods), TCP(will stay with me), Custom Summit, GTP Fiero(in rebuild stage), "My Summit" pic is posted in the Summit gallery........and some other things.

RC Racer
    I know some people went with the MM2 ESC when they were having troubles. I read that the X-Maxx should only be used with Traxxas batteries. I dont really want to go out and buy all new batteries. It would be cheaper for me to go this route. Does anyone that switched to a MM2 ESC and use the stock motor have any troubles?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Supamegaman View Post
    I read that the X-Maxx should only be used with Traxxas batteries.
    I've only people speculating that Traxxas may deny warranty coverage on an ESC fire if the battery isn't a Traxxas one. I haven't actually seen someone claim this happened to them. I mean, a LiPo is a LiPo. If the ESC catches fire, unless you've hooked up a battery that is > 6S, it isn't the battery. If it *is* the battery, that'll be what catches fire and it'll be totally obvious it wasn't the ESC... and then it *is* the batteries fault... and it'd be reasonable for Traxxas not to cover that unless it was a Traxxas battery. Right?

Anyway, I'm not using Traxxas batteries and I'm not worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
    I've only people speculating that Traxxas may deny warranty coverage on an ESC fire if the battery isn't a Traxxas one. I haven't actually seen someone claim this happened to them. I mean, a LiPo is a LiPo. If the ESC catches fire, unless you've hooked up a battery that is > 6S, it isn't the battery. If it *is* the battery, that'll be what catches fire and it'll be totally obvious it wasn't the ESC... and then it *is* the batteries fault... and it'd be reasonable for Traxxas not to cover that unless it was a Traxxas battery. Right?

Anyway, I'm not using Traxxas batteries and I'm not worried about it.

Could the battery thing be why my new Traxxas EZ Peak Dual Charger doesn't recognize the X's SPC 3s 8200 batties LiPo's?
    The minute I put a Traxxas LiPo in, it's recognized immediately.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    Could the battery thing be why my new Traxxas EZ Peak Dual Charger doesn't recognize the X's SPC 3s 8200 batties LiPo's?
    Are you using ID batteries with the ID charger, because I believe the ID charger will automatically recognize the ID batteries.

The iD chargers will only automatically "see" iD batteries. For non-iD batteries (Traxxas or non-Traxxas) you have to manually program the charger.

In general, traditional LiPo setups (independent balance lead) will work on the 2970 and 2972, but I cannot 100% guarantee compatibility with non-Traxxas batteries.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Competitor
    Supermegaman already got you, but Traxxas's new batteries w/ the new connector not only have the balance plugs built in, they also allow their chargers to automatically select the right parameters. I don't have either, but it does sound pretty cool. I *hope* the battery itself is what tells the charger what settings to use. Another way is each battery type could have a unique code and the charger has a list of codes, but that'd mean updating something in the charger to support new batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    The iD chargers will only automatically "see" iD batteries. For non-iD batteries (Traxxas or non-Traxxas) you have to manually program the charger.

In general, traditional LiPo setups (independent balance lead) will work on the 2970 and 2972, but I cannot 100% guarantee compatibility with non-Traxxas batteries.

Well, I've contacted several people who I thought would know and most of them just didn't have an answer. I got my X & the batties right before Christmas. It sat until after until I was able to get another charger ordered & delivered.
    I had no idea the Traxxas charger was programmable.
    In my mind, the batties are just as big of an investment as the truck. I wasn't about to do something I wasn't supposed to & was fine waiting until I got the answers. Besides, it's too cold out, lol.

I guess I wasn't asking at the right place or people, lol.

Thank you very much Mr. Tireslinger!

---------OT
    Tireslinger, did McKinney suffer any damage from the holiday storms?

I talked to my little sister last night and forgot to ask. They too live in McKinney.
    She was still pretty shook up. I guess the house Mom lived in about a decade or so ago in Mesquite/Garland area was just level. No bathtubs, nothin'. I guess it was an EF4.

---------OT
    Tireslinger, did McKinney suffer any damage from the holiday storms?

I talked to my little sister last night and forgot to ask. They too live in McKinney.
    She was still pretty shook up. I guess the house Mom lived in about a decade or so ago in Mesquite/Garland area was just level. No bathtubs, nothin'. I guess it was an EF4.
    OT for sure, but yes we're OK here. Thanks for asking. I believe the "big one" hit to the south of the Traxxas offices. We do get some nasty weather from time to time, a few years ago we had something like 17 tornados touch down around DFW all in one day.

Now back on topic

The idea with the 2970 and 2972 chargers was to allow owners with earlier generation batteries to continue using them even with the new chargers. Most aftermarket batteries I've seen do seem to work so long as they have genuine Traxxas plugs. There have been some reports of adapters or non-Traxxas knock off connectors that don't play nice with the charger.