Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying case?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Enthusiast

Carrying case?

Has anyone tried to fashion any kind of carrying case yet? Would love something hardshell like they market for the phantoms. I know pelican makes cases that you can custom cut foam in but never have tried that.

RC Competitor
    I was actually looking into the same thing. Harbor Freight makes a decent and inexpensive case with pick/pluck foam, but it looks like the largest is like 18x13x6, which I don't think is large enough for the Aton unless props are removed.

RC Qualifier
    I have been using the box it shipped in. which works well so far, I feel like painting the box panels to remove the print from them.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Enthusiast
    I'll have to take my Aton to my local Harbor Freight and check that out. Yeah, I've been using the stock box myself, I'd just like something a little nicer, and with a hard shell.

RC Qualifier
    I have an expensive camcorder case I will try to make into a carry case. Sold the camcorder and its been collecting dust since. Might as well try but probably not deep enough for legs on the Aton.

RC Enthusiast
    If I can find something that works for the Aton and the remote, I can tote the rest separate if I need to. I'd just like something solid and secure for the Aton. The legs are simple enough to take on and off that I don't worry too much about them. If it works, let us know what model case it was please.

RC poster
    Very interested as well. I found a sweet vinyl for whichever case I get...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Aton...QAAOSwLN5WhzKI

RC Enthusiast
    That's pretty slick. Good find.

RC Competitor
    I'd guess someone will come out with a case for it.
    Pede Xmaxx Merv 1/18 Rally Blast Spartan M41 Aton

RC Competitor
    I decided to give this an order, it might not fit, but it was cheap enough and I can always find another use for it: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...ase-69318.html

I found a 20% off code through googling, and it basically made shipping free. Hopefully it works out...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MiStro View Post
    I decided to give this an order, it might not fit, but it was cheap enough and I can always find another use for it: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...ase-69318.html

I found a 20% off code through googling, and it basically made shipping free. Hopefully it works out...
    I think that should work even with the props left on, post up some pics when it's done

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, looks like it would hold the Aton itself at least. May not get the remote in there, but thats ok, I wouldn't mind tossing it in a backpack with the rest of my gear.

RC Competitor
    Figured I'd give an update now that my case is set up. I wound up buying this case instead of the Harbor Freight as it was a bit bigger and included an extra layer of pick 'n pluck foam if needed... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&A=details&Q=

I got it all set up to hold everything I need to take with me. The Aton moves around very very slightly, but it cant go too far and the foam on top keeps it pretty safe and secure...

That looks pretty good! I blew my budget for a bit but this looks like it may go on my list.

RC Qualifier
    Wow awesome. How do you cut the foam?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    Wow awesome. How do you cut the foam?
    the foam actually comes perforated, you just pull the little pieces you want out...takes time to get the shapes right at first, but really couldnt be easier to make a custom case

RC poster
    Awesome, great job!

RC Competitor
    Wow that looks great! Darn this forum haha. There goes some more of my money.

RC Qualifier
    Am wanting a deeper one so I can leave the landing gear on instead of removing to store it. The constant install/remove will wear out the mounting holes down the road I think. Yours looks great though.

RC Racer
    Well I liked MiStro idea so I had to use it fits like a glove

Xmaxx, Summit, Villain ex, Aton, Alias, 4 tec 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Looks fantastic. I want one that fits the quad with the landing gear and gimbal installed. That's how mine sits most of the time...

RC poster
    @yellowz : what company is the case made by?. The one the aton is in?.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickhunter1984 View Post
    @yellowz : what company is the case made by?. The one the aton is in?.
    As ksb51rl stated post #13 I just clicked on the link and ordered. it was free shipping and came fast

Plano per the link in post 13.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Since trimming he landing gear on mine, I had a camcorder hard case I used. Fits pretty good with all the accessories. Couldn't have done it with full landing gear. Those look nice though.

RC Qualifier
    Here is mine

RC Qualifier
    I sent an email to the guys at caseclub.com requesting them to do a custom case for the Aton. Maybe if a few more people send them an email they can make one up for us.

RC Racer
    That is what I'm waiting on is a custom case. Sure it probably be kinda expensive when they do first come out, but hey income tax time is coming. Haha..

RC Racer
    What do you guys think of this case? It's a bit smaller so I wonder if we could get everything to fit

Plano Molding Company Plano 1404 Protector Series Four Pistol Case, X-Large, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TY4AN4G..._d8pQwbTJXWK61

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMike9494 View Post
    What do you guys think of this case? It's a bit smaller so I wonder if we could get everything to fit

Plano Molding Company Plano 1404 Protector Series Four Pistol Case, X-Large, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TY4AN4G..._d8pQwbTJXWK61
    No way that will work if you scroll up to my post #20 that is the same model number case I am using for my alias look at the size comparison

RC Qualifier
    Not deep enough from what I can see.

RC Qualifier
    I just bit the bullet and bought the Plano carrying case you recommended on the B&H site.

RC poster
    ya, i pulled the trigger on the Plano case also.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 95devils View Post
    ya, i pulled the trigger on the Plano case also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    I just bit the bullet and bought the Plano carrying case you recommended on the B&H site.
    You both will love it. It's a lot nicer than I expected at that price point. Feels like it could survive anything.

I just got this case in this morning.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

It is VERY substantial, I was expecting a cheap case, it turns out it is as solid as the Pelican cases I have. Aton fits with the blades on, and it looks like just enough room for TX & batteries. I'll cut the foam tonight and try to post pictures tomorrow.

RC Qualifier

Carrying case?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTanker View Post

It is VERY substantial, I was expecting a cheap case, it turns out it is as solid as the Pelican cases I have. Aton fits with the blades on, and it looks like just enough room for TX & batteries. I'll cut the foam tonight and try to post pictures tomorrow.
    Nice find! I wonder how the size compares to the Plano case a bunch of us ordered? At that price point if they are comparable in size it's a better deal.

RC Enthusiast

Can you post a pic of it with the Aton in it to see how it fits?
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Aton

RC Qualifier

With or without the legs? Looks very durable. Will wait on some pics. Could you include a ruler for depth pic?

RC Qualifier
    It looks like it wouldn't work with the legs. The height required is at a minimum 8.5". This case is perfect in every other way though.
    Internal dimensions.
    19 1/2" x 13 1/2" x 8"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aton-in-case-2.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	1363
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aton-in-case-1.jpg 
Views:	1499 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1364

This is the case I picked up. I'm not 100% satisfied with the layout yet and most likely cut a new piece of foam. It will not fit with the land gear installed, but I rarely fly with it installed so that is not a big deal. I am impressed with the case itself. It is durable enough that I would not hesitate to check it as luggage with the airlines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast