Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying case?

RC Racer
    @Army - good looking set up. It looks like you're using a closed cell foam rather than the ugly pick & pluck stuff.

I'm still carving my dual layer custom neoprene foam interior of my new Condition 1 100839 case. It has taken me 3 full attempts at getting things just right. It has been a slow process, but I'm real close now to the final configuration.

Pictures to come as soon as I finish it up.

RC poster
    Where do you guys buy replacement foam from for your various cases?

RC Qualifier
    I would like to know this too.

RC Racer
    These folks have whatever you could possibly need:

http://www.foambymail.com/

RC poster
    If you guys are looking for something really cheap and you have your own foam look at the plano storage trunks. They are pretty cheap plastic but academy, cabellas, and bass pro sell em for $20 and they are really big.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...ctPBoCL0vw_wcB
    http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/h...storage-trunks

RC Enthusiast

Carrying case?

I've been using a lowepro drone guard. They make three versions. The smallest one is too small. the middle one holds the aton just right. the largest one is a hard case and maybe over kill. The two smaller ones are semi hard (hehehe), but good quality and work as a backpack too.
    Last edited by rawbert54; 02-22-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Is that the Drone Guard CS 300?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rawbert54 View Post
    Well isnt that pretty.... That's a nice set up. Love that it's a backpack
    Rusty VXL W/ Sandrail Chassis (Coming soon...)

RC Qualifier
    I've been using a lowepro drone guard. They make three versions. The smallest one is too small. the middle one holds the aton just right. the largest one is a hard case and maybe over kill. The two smaller ones are semi hard (hehehe), but good quality and work as a backpack too.
    Does the Āton fit with the legs installed?
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Enthusiast
    it is the cs400. It does fit with the legs installed. Ill take a pic later when I get a chance. I connect the legs and my action cam and put it away with everything installed sometimes.
    I really like the backpack feature because it allows me to take my drone on the motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTanker View Post
    Is that the Drone Guard CS 300?
    I'm guessing CS400, but rawbert54 let us know!

***EDIT*** Doh!

RC Qualifier
    Here is my configuration.

Nice! What case is that, and did the foam come in it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    Nice! What case is that, and did the foam come in it?
    Its the Plano Seal-Tight Extra Large Case B&H # PLCSTFXLB MFR # 108031. It can be found online on many sites. The pluck foam comes with it.

RC Racer
    acesdeals.biz is set to release a custom case for the Aton next week I think. There's also going to be a random drawing for a new Aton and one of these cases. You can see the details at Traxxas Flyers Club on FB if you want more information.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CuttinEJ View Post
    acesdeals.biz is set to release a custom case for the Aton next week I think. There's also going to be a random drawing for a new Aton and one of these cases. You can see the details at Traxxas Flyers Club on FB if you want more information.
    Sweet... I entered and cant wait to see the case.

RC Qualifier
    This solution won't satisfy many people's expectations for an Aton case, but its optimized for my needs. I have dozens of these boxes on shelves in my garage to organize various things. So, its useful for me to find a way to store the Aton in one.

All the components fit snugly and nothing will get loose as long as it's not turned upside down. So far, it's worked well for trips to the flying field. Suspending the Aton above the floor of the box has the advantage that it leaves plenty of room for bags of spare parts, tools, batteries, etc. below.

Last edited by LarryTru; 04-09-2016 at 02:03 PM.

RC poster
    You guys....BAD BAD MISTRO, BAD BAD! Now I went and bought one too, and my Aton isn't even here yet. Thumbs Up! -Dr Ron
    Last edited by rintini7808; 04-09-2016 at 09:44 PM.

RC poster
    Last edited by SeanDude; 04-11-2016 at 03:16 PM.

These are really great cases guys. But where and how are you using them? To transport them on an airplane, in your car/truck, by hand?

I find I take mine secure it in the back seat or back of the SUV and go.

If you disassemble/re-assemble lots of times does the screws start to strip out or anything?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    where and how are you using them?
    For my part, all I need is a way to safely store it in my garage and to get it to and from the field.

I've seen no problems with stripping screws or anything. I'd recommend being careful not to over-tighten.

Larry

RC Enthusiast
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Aton

RC Enthusiast
    For Aton owners in Germany I can recommend this very cheap case:
    http://www.voelkner.de/products/6583...unststoff.html

RC Competitor
    That is a really nice case!... going to check that one out!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanRCP View Post
    For Aton owners in Germany I can recommend this very cheap case:
    http://www.voelkner.de/products/6583...unststoff.html
    That's confirmed to fit?
    Rusty VXL W/ Sandrail Chassis (Coming soon...)

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMike9494 View Post
    That's confirmed to fit?
    Yes, that fits perfectly.
    Pictures of my case in German Kopterforum: http://www.kopterforum.de/topic/4919...pter/?p=737330
    (but I guess, visible for registerered user only)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanRCP View Post
    but I guess, visible for registerered user only
    Can you repost here?

Larry

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryTru View Post
    Can you repost here?

Larry
    Here you are:

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/...psaxdpfp5x.jpg
    Last edited by GermanRCP; 04-16-2016 at 01:33 AM.

RC poster
    thanks for the informations!!

RC Qualifier
    Good thread. I think I found another option. I am going to the store this week to find out if my Aton will fit with the landing gear attached because removing it is not an option since my Aton is used primarily for filming. I'll keep you all posted.

RC poster

Great case with plenty of room.

I fail at pluck and pull. LoL. Here is the link and a few photos.
    goo.gl/t1vbSm

RC Qualifier

I trimmed a little slot out of the battery cover so I can safely store my 3rd battery in my Aton when traveling .

sent from Northern Vermont

RC poster
    coughron01,

Nice setup. I have been looking at setting my Aton just like yours. Can you possibly list the model info and the ranges for what you have in this case?

RC poster
    rawbert54 No it does not! I purchased this because you said it fits with the legs on and it does not. Unless there's a trick to fitting it in there or I have a newer model that's taller. Can't believe there's not a case for this thing!
    Last edited by CSAW1978; 12-30-2016 at 06:56 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Do you know if this would be allowable as a carry on for air travel ?

RC Enthusiast
    I called the company on the Lowpro CS400 case and it does not fit as carry on . Its off my less than a inch. You would think that they might have thought about that when they were designing it. There certainly is room to tighten it up a bit . Bummer as I was al lset to buy that one but i need carry on dimensions .

RC poster
    I got a hard case from Harbor Freight plenty of room

RC Competitor
    it is the cs400. It does fit with the legs installed. Ill take a pic later when I get a chance. I connect the legs and my action cam and put it away with everything installed sometimes.
    I really like the backpack feature because it allows me to take my drone on the motorcycle
    I wonder how many people, besides me and CSAW1978, purchased the Lowepro CS400 for our Traxxas Aton only to find that it would not fit with the legs on. Now I have two choices. Neither is optimal. Find a different case that DOES work, or cut down the legs of my Aton.
    Sent from one of my transmitters.

RC Qualifier
    I think the best solution is to velcro the landing gear onto the Aton and then remove it from the Aton when you put it in a case. I posted a bin I used in the past to transport my Aton, but it is a space hog so I do not use it anymore. I am going to pick up a smaller case after I put velcro on mine.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I think the best solution is to velcro the landing gear onto the Aton and then remove it from the Aton when you put it in a case. I posted a bin I used in the past to transport my Aton, but it is a space hog so I do not use it anymore. I am going to pick up a smaller case after I put velcro on mine.
    Thanks for that idea! I had never thought of it. I guess it never occurred to me that it would be strong enough. However, the industrial strength Velcro is amazingly strong, so it would probably be fine.

I do have a funny story related to this. To get the Aton in the case, I decided to Dremel about 3/4" off the legs. Unfortunately, I took a little too much off and the gimbal touched the ground ever so slightly. That was frustrating. However, I went ahead and flew it that way with the camera attached as a test to see how it would handle. I had flown the Aton before, but without gear or gimbal. This flight test worked well, so I finished a pack, then took the gimbal off and left the legs on.

A good friend of mine dropped by to watch me fly. He is a good pilot, better than me, so I offered to let him fly it. I was flying LOS and he's good at that. He and I have been flying together regularly for over two years and he's learned that if I offer, I take the responsibility for whatever happens. I have always stuck to that, but he's never crashed, either. I had him fly it in sport mode so it would still have some stabilizing assistance. While he was flying my Aton, a third friend joined us and flew his quad nearby.

The Aton was faster than my friend expected it to be and, since he'd never flown it before, he was not used to the air brakes or RTH button in an emergency. He came swooping by on one pass and suddenly realized he was on a collision course with the other quad. He jerked the stick reflexively and the Aton headed straight for me. Not wanting to hit me, he jerked the stick again, this time losing altitude and flying at a low angle into the ground at about 3/4 throttle. It broke off all 4 of the legs and tumbled! Amazingly, the props were not damaged. Except for the legs, the Aton was unharmed and flew again. He was sorry and embarrassed, but I insisted that I would buy new legs and he did not owe me anything. Besides, I told him, this gave me another chance to try fitting the Aton into a storage case without butchering the legs! BONUS!
    Sent from one of my transmitters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast