Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carrying case?

Pull and pluck foam is horrible. It doesn't matter how careful you are it's always going to eventually start to come apart where you don't want it to.

You can paint it with Performix Plasti-Dip to toughen it up. It takes a lot of this because the foam soaks up a lot of it before it starts building up on the outside.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
    Thanks for that idea! I had never thought of it. I guess it never occurred to me that it would be strong enough. However, the industrial strength Velcro is amazingly strong, so it would probably be fine.

I do have a funny story related to this...

The Aton was faster than my friend expected it to be and, since he'd never flown it before, he was not used to the air brakes or RTH button in an emergency. He came swooping by on one pass and suddenly realized he was on a collision course with the other quad. He jerked the stick reflexively and the Aton headed straight for me. Not wanting to hit me, he jerked the stick again, this time losing altitude and flying at a low angle into the ground at about 3/4 throttle. It broke off all 4 of the legs and tumbled! Amazingly, the props were not damaged. Except for the legs, the Aton was unharmed and flew again. He was sorry and embarrassed, but I insisted that I would buy new legs and he did not owe me anything. Besides, I told him, this gave me another chance to try fitting the Aton into a storage case without butchering the legs! BONUS!
    Been there done that recently when I flew my friend's. The good thing is the Aton is pretty sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    Pull and pluck foam is horrible. It doesn't matter how careful you are it's always going to eventually start to come apart where you don't want it to.

You can paint it with Performix Plasti-Dip to toughen it up. It takes a lot of this because the foam soaks up a lot of it before it starts building up on the outside.
    I still have pluck foam that I have not used. It is for pretty light use though. Maybe there are different pluck foam thicknesses?
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    I wonder how many people, besides me and CSAW1978, purchased the Lowepro CS400 for our Traxxas Aton only to find that it would not fit with the legs on. Now I have two choices. Neither is optimal. Find a different case that DOES work, or cut down the legs of my Aton.
    I had to cut 3/4-inch off the legs to get the Lowepro CS400 case to close. Unfortunately, that put the gimbal too low and it did not want to self-level on start-up without bumping the ground and getting confused.

Since the legs got broken off shortly after that in a flying accident, I bought new legs and tried a different case. It is an aluminum case made by Ultimax for the Phantom, but works great for the Aton with legs and camera attached:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At the time of listing the link above, the case was only $39 on that site. Be aware that the same case appears all over the internet, and even other pages of Amazon for up to $100. Shop wisely!

I will come back to this post in a few minutes with some pictures of how it fits.
    Sent from one of my transmitters.

RC Competitor
    I will come back to this post in a few minutes with some pictures of how it fits.
    I've never been that good with estimating time. It's been over 18,000 minutes (about 24 hours) since I said I'd be back in a few minutes. But all is well that ends well. Here are some pictures of the Ultimax case inside and out showing how well the Aton fits:

I am totally pleased for the low price of $39.

RC Qualifier
    What tool did you use to cut the outline for Aton? I like how that looks, just a little concerned about how much pressure you have to use to close it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    What tool did you use to cut the outline for Aton? I like how that looks, just a little concerned about how much pressure you have to use to close it.
    Hi DJF - The picture below shows what the foam looks like upon purchase. I overlaid the yellow lines on it to show the small amount that I cut. It is Kaizen peel foam, so it was a piece of cake. I used a sharp razor/hobby knife to cut down about 1-inch, then just peeled it away. It took less than a minute.

Don't worry about the pressure to close. As you can see from the last picture in my series of five above, it sits within 1/4 inch of closing with no pressure on it. Very slight pressure closes it all the way. That entire quarter inch is simply foam compression in the center. There is no damage to the quad, yet it is very firmly supported.

RC Qualifier
    I do not think this can be beat for the price. How does the Aton fit in there without the landing gear? I am not going to use the landing gear anymore. I will use another quad for videos from now on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I do not think this can be beat for the price. How does the Aton fit in there without the landing gear? I am not going to use the landing gear anymore. I will use another quad for videos from now on.
    Here is a short video that I made today that shows a little more detail:
    https://youtu.be/5AOZ9Qj4fi4

Yes, you can put the Aton in this case without legs. It would end up sitting down a bit deeper with the blades directly on the foam. The lid would close without touching anything. There would be a lot of extra room, though. It seems a shame to carry such a large case when the Aton will fit into something smaller without its legs or gimbal. I used to just carry mine around in the original box until I decided to leave the legs and gimbal on.

Although I did not show it in photos or video, there is a "spacer" that comes with the case. It perfectly fits into the main section. You can see it in this photo:

I'm not sure what it's for. I don't use it. However, you could put things under it. The Aton above it would hold it in place during transportation.

RC Qualifier
    I like that fact that there is storage space for other stuff. I am going to see if one of my friends wants one so if I do not like it I can sell it to him at a discount.

RC Qualifier
    I ordered the ultimaxx case. I will post my results when I have some time to tinker with it.

RC poster
    I am currently working with case club for an Aton specific case. I am hoping to have all of the specs they want by the end of June and a case made by the end of July.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zardoz7766 View Post
    I am currently working with case club for an Aton specific case. I am hoping to have all of the specs they want by the end of June and a case made by the end of July.
    That's great news! I wonder, though, is the Aton still a good enough seller for them to make the investment? I know that it's been out for over 2 years already.

RC poster
    I use the Lowepro CS400 and really like it. The Aton doesn't fit with the legs, on but I mostly fly legless, and using it as a backpack to hike to an open space I fly is great.

RC poster
    Case Club felt that there are enough out there to justify it. The already make cases that are physically big enough it is just a matter for their machine to do an insert for the Aton.

RC Qualifier
    I still have not had time to use the case I picked up. Ended up travelling with the Aton in the OEM box.

RC Qualifier

Ultimaxx UM-HCDJI-P4 Initial Thoughts (Traxxas Aton Case*) I picked up one of the cas

Took a few minutes to capture my initial thoughts of the case. I will post my findings when I have time to start modifying it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123