Thread: Aton vs Alias

RC poster

Aton vs Alias

Has anyone flown both? How do they compare? I understand the differences, but regarding sport flying, are they that much different?

RC Qualifier
    I have both. Way more power with the brushless Aton. I have not flown either in expert mode. If you like the Alias then you will love the Aton.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

I have about 11 months experience with Alias. It's a great and fun flier. I just started getting into expert mode before the weather got bad.
    I am waiting for my Aton to get here next week but I will tell you this based on comments here and in videos I've seen.
    The Aton takes quite a few design points from the team that designed the Alias.
    The look and body general design
    The controller
    The pre-programmed flips
    The 3 modes

But the differences are far greater than the similarities.
    Aton is MUCH bigger
    It goes 50mph
    Can carry a decent payload

The sheer power of it will demand some respect and a new learning curve. I have gotten cocky with the Alias. I can send it out 300 feet and come right back at myself at top speed and halt within 4 feet of my body at head height without fear and do it consistantly. I will NOT try that with my Aton. The Alias is a light weight flyer and you can bat it out of the way with your hand and expect no injury except maybe a sting.
    The Aton weighs almost 2lbs. If that hit you or someone else at top speed it could knock you out, and/or cut you. The motors are powerful.
    So I would say they are vastly different. You will need a larger area to have a similar aggressive flying experience, and we all will need to watch our "Ps and Qs".
    I guess they have similar flight characteristics in some ways, but the phenominal increase in power makes Aton a familiar looking but radically different flyer in sport or expert mode IMHO.

That was a lot of baloney from a guy who doesn't have his yet.
    Lol!

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies everyone. So it sounds like it's like comparing a 1/16 brushed erevo to an 1/10 erevo brushless. Similar yet way more powerful and fast. I LOVE my Alias. Have the Aton incoming.

RC Racer
    Good thing about the Alias though is that it is much cheaper and a good tool to use to teach yourself orientation. Nothing is worse for your bird then to be coming at yourself at full speed and loosing orientation. Pretty much going to put it in the dirt that way. The alias is more forgiving. But also, the Aton has all those nifty features with GPS

RC Qualifier
    Another nice thing about the alias is you can fly it in your house. As mentioned, a good tool to learn. Am still having problems with orientation but getting better. The Aton is to big and bulky to try to fly indoors as I almost learned the hard way.

RC Competitor
    Actually the parts on the ATON are fairly cheap cost wise. Price of entry is higher because of all the features but is seems really reasonable if you need to repair it. My buddy in Fla. has another brand and he hit telephone lines with it and the body plastic alone was like $65. Overall I think the ATON is perfect, camera use and stunt flying in one. Really a more sophisticated version of the ALIAS which is pretty awesome. I am a big fan of the air brake, come home and the find me beeper features. I fly by an abandon airport with taller grass off the runway area so at least I have a chance to find it in the event of a forced landing
    Last edited by Bulldogger; 01-08-2016 at 09:38 AM.

All excellent points.
    Bulldogger that sounds like a really great area to fly in!