Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XL2 2028 build

I haven't made it through a full pack without the slipper coming loose or stripping the spur or breaking other stuff so I couldn't tell you.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I haven't made it through a full pack without the slipper coming loose or stripping the spur or breaking other stuff so I couldn't tell you.
    Wow man! That sucks. Is that due to the aftermarket stuff or stock form?
    Coffee is king!
    YouTube - RC Tanks & Trucks 24/7

RC Champion
    So other than the ESC/Motor and mount, are there any other modifications that need to happen for this conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Wow man! That sucks. Is that due to the aftermarket stuff or stock form?
    no thats all stock stuff that has broken. ever since the tree climbing incident I'm hearing this clicking sound coming from the rear diff. I will probably pull it out later tonight to see what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    So other than the ESC/Motor and mount, are there any other modifications that need to happen for this conversion?
    Nope, just waiting for Kershaw to ship out the mounts. I can't think of any other mods needed to run the bigger motor setup.

RC Competitor
    Nope, just waiting for Kershaw to ship out the mounts. I can't think of any other mods needed to run the bigger motor setup.
    Do you by chance know where the XL esc will be mounted if using Kershaw mounts? Is it over the receiver box? If so, would that cause any interference with the tx/rx?
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

i've thought about adding another nut on the threads butted up against the slipper nut in the hopes that it will prevent the slipper from loosening. i haven't tried it because my slipper hasn't backed off on me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    Do you by chance know where the XL esc will be mounted if using Kershaw mounts? Is it over the receiver box? If so, would that cause any interference with the tx/rx?
    I don't know because they haven't posted pics but I can only assume that it is over the rx box. I changed out the rx for a long antenna Spektrum so I will run the antenna along the top frame bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    i've thought about adding another nut on the threads butted up against the slipper nut in the hopes that it will prevent the slipper from loosening. i haven't tried it because my slipper hasn't backed off on me yet.
    I had some more problems tonight at my buddies house regarding the slipper. I had it back down all the way and backed it off 1/4 turn and 5 minutes later the spur was spinning freely. He put a new nut on and washer and it ran fine the rest of the time.

I got my LED bar hooked up finally as well. The Vanquish light bar will not run off the rx power. It requires at least 7.4 or 11.1 volts to turn on.

I took out the rear diff to investigate the clicking I've been hearing since the tree jumping and i couldnt find anything wrong in the diff itself. This diff is quite large and the way its put together is different from anything I've seen so far. This is next to an HPI Vorza 1/8 scale diff. I refilled the diff with 100k diff fluid.

I took some pics next to the ride on RC car that I got for my daughter for Christmas, the Henes Broon F830. I will be doing a build up thread in the general section soon as I plan to run an evx2 dual dewalt motor upgrade soon.

Every time I drive this thing the slipper nut backs out. Happened again today with a new locknut tightened all the way and backed off just a tiny bit. Tightened it all the way and it still backed out. I'm going to order a new slipper shaft and call traxxas tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Man that puts the size of it really proepective...its giagantic.

Looks like your also enjoying this beast. I have been out of action for a while, lots of personal things to attend to.
    But definetely will get the X maxx eventually.
    Live life to the fullest

Every time I drive this thing the slipper nut backs out. Happened again today with a new locknut tightened all the way and backed off just a tiny bit. Tightened it all the way and it still backed out. I'm going to order a new slipper shaft and call traxxas tomorrow to see what they have to say.
    Have you tried loctite?

RC Qualifier
    from my experience once you mess with the slipper nut a few times the nylon part of the locknut is shot. I always use a little blue loctite on my slipper nuts and I've never had one back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Man that puts the size of it really proepective...its giagantic.

Looks like your also enjoying this beast. I have been out of action for a while, lots of personal things to attend to.
    But definetely will get the X maxx eventually.
    It is quite large Jery! Hope to see you with one soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Have you tried loctite?
    I did try red loctite a couple of days ago and let it set over night. Still backed off the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    from my experience once you mess with the slipper nut a few times the nylon part of the locknut is shot. I always use a little blue loctite on my slipper nuts and I've never had one back off.
    I understand the nylon part wearing with repeated use. I tried a new nut the other night and it backed off within 5 minutes of driving.

RC Champion
    Is there enough room for two regular narrow nuts? If so, you could tighten one to spec on the slipper, then tighten the other against the first to keep it from moving.

I'll look into doing that right now.

RC Qualifier
    shot in the dark here but your slipper might be set a little too loose. They recommend 1/8 turn in the manual. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've taken the slipper unit completely out and verified that at 1/8 turn I can still turn the spur with a good amount of elbow grease. I feel like how it's designed, if the slipper is too loose and slipping alot it will back the nut off.

RC Racer
    Just waiting on Kershaw now..
    This weekend..Soldering and installing light. Research Pinion and Spur.

Last edited by B1gDawg; 01-15-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

RC Racer
    LED Bar installed using stock holes and no drilling...

You can use the screws that come with the light. I used the locknuts on the screw to keep them from coming through the front of the bumper. You can use the supplied washers (or your own) to center the light in the grille and tighten. No drilling and stock holes used.
    Last edited by B1gDawg; 01-15-2016 at 03:27 PM.

RC Racer
    Maybe it needs a sprong

Quote Originally Posted by B1gDawg View Post
    LED Bar installed using stock holes and no drilling...

You can use the screws that come with the light. I used the locknuts on the screw to keep them from coming through the front of the bumper. You can use the supplied washers (or your own) to center the light in the grille and tighten. No drilling and stock holes used.
    none of your pictures are showing up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    Maybe it needs a sprong
    haha

shot in the dark here but your slipper might be set a little too loose. They recommend 1/8 turn in the manual. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. I've taken the slipper unit completely out and verified that at 1/8 turn I can still turn the spur with a good amount of elbow grease. I feel like how it's designed, if the slipper is too loose and slipping alot it will back the nut off.
    Well I think I figured out what was wrong with my slipper assembly..the inner bearing was in pieces on the inside. that would explain the clicking noises I've been hearing. I dropped a new bearing in and put it back together except I broke the shaft while tightening the nut

Just waiting on Kershaw now..
    This weekend..Soldering and installing light. Research Pinion and Spur.
    I think I'm going to go with the 46t and the largest pinion that will fit with the Kershaw mount.

And the XLX came in today! HOly capacitor pack!

RC Racer
    none of your pictures are showing up for me.

I think I'm going to go with the 46t and the largest pinion that will fit with the Kershaw mount.

And the XLX came in today! HOly capacitor pack!

Odd...I can see the pix..So they are showing for no one??

RC Qualifier
    only your pics in post #57 aren't showing up. I can see the rest.

RC Racer
    only your pics in post #57 aren't showing up. I can see the rest.
    Working on it, Thanks.

RC Racer
    Hopefully these are working...

RC Champion
    Still can't see pics here.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    Still can't see pics here.
    Testing..

Last edited by B1gDawg; 01-16-2016 at 02:03 PM.

XL2 2028 build

Yeah that definitely would have worked but I wanted to get the bar closer to the inside.
    Funny I can see the latest pics in tapatalk from post 63 but can't see them in the browser bigdawg.

RC Racer
    Yeah that definitely would have worked but I wanted to get the bar closer to the inside.
    Funny I can see the latest pics in tapatalk from post 63 but can't see them in the browser bigdawg.
    Yeah, I was actually looking at yours while test fitting mine. I figured having it "floating" would help protect a little in a front impact. Im actually looking for a rubber grommet that I could use in place of the locknuts. Placing it between the brace and the bumper.. Just a little "shock absorption".. Thats the great thing about this hobby in trading ideas and setting examples for others.. Thanks for the heads up on the pics also..Strange.
    Last edited by B1gDawg; 01-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hah, I know what that is... I made it through 3 packs before I lost teeth on the rear end pinion and rear ring gear. There just crap cast pot metal gears not machined steel like 1/8th scale stuff. I just orderd a few sets of rings and pinion a fromA main, there cheap. I'm not even going to waste my time with the 2028 I have for it now as it will just destroy the stock gear sets over and over again I'm sure

Mine was actually missing one of the bolts that hold the ring gear to the diff case, but I'm sure that didn't really cause the trashed gear set
    Last edited by yoshgixxer; 01-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.

RC Qualifier

Ruined my day lol

RC Champion
    Testing..

Nope, and looking at your img tags, it doesn't look like you're imbedding an actual photo.

EDIT: Looks like they are viewable using Chrome
    Last edited by 2IS; 01-17-2016 at 12:03 AM.

RC Racer

So, I saw the 46t pinion that he has for $20. What size spur gear goes with that? He claims 60mph with this pinion. I guess since he's the only game in town he can charge that much. What about the Castle Creations pinion? I know they are mod 1.5 but what's the biggest difference?
    Last edited by B1gDawg; 01-17-2016 at 09:05 PM.

I must be too nice to my truck. All gears are still intact.
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC Qualifier
    Wheelies around the yard prolly won't do it, but the truck is advertised as the evolution of tuff... So we're out Hukin it off of kicker jumps really stretching it's legs as advertised and its just not holding up, unfortunately I'll give it a little time but if I gotta wrench on it every time I rip it, just like my Baja was, it wont be long till you see a X-Maxx with a XLX/2028/Kershaw mount combo and a huge pile of spare parts in the classifieds...

Yeah, I was actually looking at yours while test fitting mine. I figured having it "floating" would help protect a little in a front impact. Im actually looking for a rubber grommet that I could use in place of the locknuts. Placing it between the brace and the bumper.. Just a little "shock absorption".. Thats the great thing about this hobby in trading ideas and setting examples for others.. Thanks for the heads up on the pics also..Strange.
    I see what you are trying to do. I figure that the bumper mounts are plenty enough absorption. I realize today that my passenger side screw hole for the front bumper is stripped out. Good think I bought an extra set yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
    Hah, I know what that is... I made it through 3 packs before I lost teeth on the rear end pinion and rear ring gear. There just crap cast pot metal gears not machined steel like 1/8th scale stuff. I just orderd a few sets of rings and pinion a fromA main, there cheap. I'm not even going to waste my time with the 2028 I have for it now as it will just destroy the stock gear sets over and over again I'm sure

Mine was actually missing one of the bolts that hold the ring gear to the diff case, but I'm sure that didn't really cause the trashed gear set
    that sucks to hear. I don't plan on doing crazy gearing or 4s just yet either. I guess I'm doing it just because i can't leave it alone lol. funny, i just picked up a spare ring gear at the lhs yesterday.

I drove the truck today for about 10 minutes in my yard today with Lots of hard accelerating and braking. the motor temp was 115 and esc was 109 on 46/18 gearing. I'm pretty happy with that. Here's a little video of the end of the run. Nothing exciting but it was nice to make it to lvc without any issues!

So, I saw the 46t pinion that he has for $20. What size spur gear goes with that? He claims 60mph with this pinion. I guess since he's the only game in town he can charge that much. What about the Castle Creations pinion? I know they are mod 1.5 but what's the biggest difference?
    I just sent him an email asking what his recommendations were for gearing on 3s and 4s. I definitely cant wait to set a throttle curve that will reduce some of the wheelies. I really hope there is a center diff in the works from traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
    Wheelies around the yard prolly won't do it, but the truck is advertised as the evolution of tuff... So we're out Hukin it off of kicker jumps really stretching it's legs as advertised and its just not holding up, unfortunately I'll give it a little time but if I gotta wrench on it every time I rip it, just like my Baja was, it wont be long till you see a X-Maxx with a XLX/2028/Kershaw mount combo and a huge pile of spare parts in the classifieds...
    haha, I assume you are referring to the couple videos I posted which were strictly meant to show off the ridiculousness of this combo. I do a bit more than "wheelies around the yard". I agree that I certainly have not been pushing mine as hard as some others on here.

Hopefully this isn't another BL Revo diff situation.

RC Qualifier
    wow. I was happy with 18/54. 18/46 must really rip. Are your reported temps with a fan on the motor?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    haha, I assume you are referring to the couple videos I posted which were strictly meant to show off the ridiculousness of this combo. I do a bit more than "wheelies around the yard". I agree that I certainly have not been pushing mine as hard as some others on here.

Hopefully this isn't another BL Revo diff situation.
    Lol hey that's all I seen so that's all I know!! I'd love to see some serious 2028 videos, I'm super nervous about running mine since I can't even keep the drive line together on the stock motor

RC Racer
    I just sent him an email asking what his recommendations were for gearing on 3s and 4s. I definitely cant wait to set a throttle curve that will reduce some of the wheelies. I really hope there is a center diff in the works from traxxas.
    I emailed him also and got this reply today..

Q.
    I have the Castle Creations Mamba XLX/2028 combo that I'm putting in my X Maxx. I pre-ordered the motor mount from you already. What is the best pinion/spur setup for this vehicle. Also, what is the ETA on the motor mount. Thanks

R.
    If the X-maxx is stock otherwise, I'd go with a 48T pinion. At the bottom here.

http://kershawdesigns.com/PinionsMod1.htm

Q.
    Thanks for the quick response. So I stay with the stock spur? What kind of performance will that combo yield? Also, what is the ETA on the motor mount? Thanks.

R.
    So I stay with the stock spur? Yes.
    What kind of performance will that combo yield? About 60mph.
    Also, what is the ETA on the motor mount? The very end of this month.

So, Ill be running 48t/54s on this?? Am I missing something here? Welcome to the world of the 2028 I guess.

So, Ill be running 48t/54s on this?? Am I missing something here? Welcome to the world of the 2028 I guess.
    That's what it sounds like. Makes sense too because they list 53T/46T as the tallest that will fit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast