Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XL2 2028 build

RC Qualifier
    That's the pinion he sold me for 2028/8s and I bought a 43t to I believe. Should have the parts any day

Sounds like we can expect some production videos from Kershaw in the near future as well.
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

Dan told me to get the 39t but that is with a 46t spur
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Qualifier
    I can't wait to see the kershaw mount/2028 combo in action. I'm probably gonna have to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    I can't wait to see the kershaw mount/2028 combo in action. I'm probably gonna have to pull the trigger.
    you an me both!

so during todays run I kept getting blinking red on the esc about five minutes into the run and the truck would be on reduced power. According to the codes fast blinking red is thermal protection. I measured the temps and got 120 on the motor and 115 on the esc. Slow blinking red is lvc and i just pulled the batts off the charger. I plugged in the voltage checker into the balance port. 3.89 volts pretty much across all 6 cells. If i let it sit for a minute it would run fine for a few minutes and then start running slow again with a blinking red light.

I called Traxxas support and they want me to send the ESC in so I guess I will. Now i have to decide if i want to change out connectors on the motor and run the XLX or take the risk and run an old Mamba Monster v1 I have laying around and hoping it hold up. I may switch to less aggressive gearing if I do the MM route.

Sounds like your ESC could be on its way to "flame" and glory!
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

I hope not! I want to sell it after I get the XLX installed

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Is there enough room for two regular narrow nuts? If so, you could tighten one to spec on the slipper, then tighten the other against the first to keep it from moving.
    This is what I do with all my slippers. Two thinner nuts, set the first nut, then tighten the second nut just flush with it.

Check this guy,

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6158733
    Last edited by Kpowell911; 01-19-2016 at 04:44 PM.

XL2 2028 build

Thanks for the tip. I think my problem stemmed from having a blown pressure plate bearing. I am going to order some low profile nuts to keep the main nut in place.

I got the Mamba Monster v1 installed tonight and did a little run. The responsiveness is so much better with the punch set at 40% and it was great finally trying out the vanquish light bar. I will say that I'm not too impressed with the light output. I would like more of a directed beam like headlights.

My pinion came loose while running down the street and i stripped half of my spur gear. Kind of sucks because its seems like everywhere I checked online was out of 46t XO-1 spurs.

Here is a custom mount a buddy made for me. It is composed of the bottom section of the Hot Racing MM esc mount and a modified top section of the Emaxx/Erevo MM mount with tubes going down the side.

This won't last long..

Also, I have been feeling the steering throw hasn't been as large with the stock receiver so i set my endpoints on the Spektrum to 150% from 120%. I'm not sure if it has more throw than that but it definitely turns tighter now.
    Last edited by SLW-SVT; 01-20-2016 at 01:26 AM.

I finally stripped out my last 46t spur so I put the stock gears back on. I took it out and accidentally ran into a small tree only going a few miles per hour but damage was done. I broke one of the front shock shafts

Well my X-maxx will stay powered by the Mamba Monster for the foreseeable future. the XLX and 2028 are for sale on RCTech now. The truck runs awesome on with the MM and stock motor so I don't see the point of running this 1/5 scale setup.

RC Qualifier
    V1 Mambas have bullet connectors at the power input as well as the motor output. Tell your friend he does nice work and he should join up.

He's been a member for awhile Emaxxbrushless is his name. He doesn't frequent the Traxxas forum anymore though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Multirotor View Post
    V1 Mambas have bullet connectors at the power input as well as the motor output. Tell your friend he does nice work and he should join up.
    By V1 Mamba are you referring to the Mamba Monster Max V1? If so, it had wires for both the power and motor connections, not bullets.

Mamba Monster Max V1 - Wires for both power and motor

Mamba Monster Max V2 - Bullets for both power and motor

Mamba Monster Max V3.1 - Bullets for both power and motor

Mamba Monster Max V3.2 and beyond - Wires for power and bullets for motor.

Then you get into the Mamba Monster 2 (they dropped the "Max" in the name). OP's ESC in the pics is a Mamba Monster Max V3.2 or later
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 01-26-2016 at 05:37 AM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    Doh, you've mentioned his handle before.

Thanks, I could of swore my v1 has bullets on both sides and no step up on the top. Maybe it's not a v1 then?

RC Champion
    If it has bullets all around and it's the shorter case then it would be a V2.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Well my X-maxx will stay powered by the Mamba Monster for the foreseeable future. the XLX and 2028 are for sale on RCTech now. The truck runs awesome on with the MM and stock motor so I don't see the point of running this 1/5 scale setup.
    Your probably 100% right, I wish I would of just bought that MM esc and stayed 6s, now I bought 8 sets of 4s lipos the XLX and a 2028 motor along with the Kershaw mount and I don't even wanna use the 2028 cuz the stock motor makes enough power to break Tranny parts. And it's plenty fast. Plus the XLX isn't water proof so I'm stuck doing nothing with the truck since its wet and snowey outside .... And who knows what the truck will weigh once it's loaded down with the XLX/2028/Kershaw mount and a pair of 4s lipos

RC Qualifier
    Anyone tried the 2200kv motor that's available with the mamba monster combo?

Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    By V1 Mamba are you referring to the Mamba Monster Max V1? If so, it had wires for both the power and motor connections, not bullets.

Mamba Monster Max V1 - Wires for both power and motor

Mamba Monster Max V2 - Bullets for both power and motor

Mamba Monster Max V3.1 - Bullets for both power and motor

Mamba Monster Max V3.2 and beyond - Wires for power and bullets for motor.

Then you get into the Mamba Monster 2 (they dropped the "Max" in the name). OP's ESC in the pics is a Mamba Monster Max V3.2 or later
    I'm referring to the Mamba Monster first version. I have not seen the Mamba Monster advertised or sold as a Mamba Monster Max since I've been into RCs. The label on the side and the box do not include the work Max so to me this is the Mamba Monster 1.Thanks for the info though and sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
    Your probably 100% right, I wish I would of just bought that MM esc and stayed 6s, now I bought 8 sets of 4s lipos the XLX and a 2028 motor along with the Kershaw mount and I don't even wanna use the 2028 cuz the stock motor makes enough power to break Tranny parts. And it's plenty fast. Plus the XLX isn't water proof so I'm stuck doing nothing with the truck since its wet and snowey outside .... And who knows what the truck will weigh once it's loaded down with the XLX/2028/Kershaw mount and a pair of 4s lipos
    I feel like this is the best option for this truck right now until we get some hardened steel drivetrain parts and possibly a center diff. I realized that I'm completely happy with the castle esc and stock motor so why not get out of this expensive setup while its still new. And like you side, I'm breaking stuff with the stock setup so whats going to happen with 8s power and a lot more torque. It sucks that you have all those batteries now though. 8 sets!! wow! I don't run my truck enough to use that many. I'm lucky if i can get through one set without something breaking lol.

I think the size of the tires and weight might be too much for the 2200 but we won't know until someone tries it. It will definitely need the kershaw mount though.

RC Qualifier
    I'm with you guys. I was about to pull the trigger on the kershaw mount/xlx/2028 as well. After swapping out to the monster x I am more than happy with the truck and the power it has. I also just did a brushless conversion on my losi dbxl using the xlx/2028 and the power is insane. Putting the 2028/xlx on 8s in the x-maxx is like putting a hemi hellcat motor into a mini cooper.

RC Racer
    I'm still patiently waiting for my Kershaw mount. I plan on going 8s and I believe it's all in the trigger finger. I'm sure beefier parts are on the way and I'll be ready when they arrive. In the meantime, I intend to see what this combo can do to an unsuspecting X Maxx. ��
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

RC Qualifier
    I called around to everyone I can think of, only one in the "process" of making machined steel gears is Kershaw and he's months out, yea it kinda is all in the trigger finger but there's just some times you need to get back on the gas to straighten the truck out or to stick a landing then those big tires bite and that's all it takes, I turned my punch control all the way up and I'm way easier on it and it seems to be holding up... But let's face the facts no one wants to "baby finger" this truck.. I want it to be hammer time every time. I can drive my 1/10 4wd buggy harder then this thing...

Speaking of Kershaw mount, anyone pester him lately to get a ETA?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
    I called around to everyone I can think of, only one in the "process" of making machined steel gears is Kershaw and he's months out, yea it kinda is all in the trigger finger but there's just some times you need to get back on the gas to straighten the truck out or to stick a landing then those big tires bite and that's all it takes, I turned my punch control all the way up and I'm way easier on it and it seems to be holding up... But let's face the facts no one wants to "baby finger" this truck.. I want it to be hammer time every time. I can drive my 1/10 4wd buggy harder then this thing...

Speaking of Kershaw mount, anyone pester him lately to get a ETA?
    There are steel spurs on eBay. Probably not machined, but not sure.

Unless you mean diff gears

XL2 2028 build

Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post

Yeah the area rc spurs are way too expensive at 65.99 + 15.99 shipping and they are made of chrome steel. I'll wait for the hot racing hardened steel Spurs that they have advertised on their website. I'll pay $29.99 for one. In the mean time I have 5 50t Spurs on order.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by B1gDawg View Post
    I'm still patiently waiting for my Kershaw mount. I plan on going 8s and I believe it's all in the trigger finger. I'm sure beefier parts are on the way and I'll be ready when they arrive. In the meantime, I intend to see what this combo can do to an unsuspecting X Maxx. ��
    Alternative to kershaw motor mount. Www.poseidonrc.com

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastuffuwant View Post
    Was super stoked till I saw the price!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by B1gDawg View Post
    Was super stoked till I saw the price!
    Yeah, its double the amount, but it fits 1717 and 1/5 motors and its 2pcs machined and T-slot style clamps instead of regular slots and bolts which will allow for movement. Best of all its available now and made in the Usa ..lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post

Im talking about RING gears and pinions in the diff case ,not Spurs, I'm not having issues with main plastic spur gears in trashing ring and pinions

It might be time for LEM to start building stuff for the X instead of just the Summit?

Love how they designed it in the shape of an X.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    Love how they designed it in the shape of an X.

Yeah, i think its pretty cool. I have the test truck on 12s waiting for tires.

Yeah, i think its pretty cool. I have the test truck on 12s waiting for tires.
    wow, are you from poseidonrc?

RC Racer
    Now that the Kershaw mount is released, it's definitely the better one for half the price.

The poseidon mount definitely looks awesome but I'm concerned about it bending. A 2028 + tall gearing + massive air jumping = bad news

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    The poseidon mount definitely looks awesome but I'm concerned about it bending. A 2028 + tall gearing + massive air jumping = bad news
    Mine has had a 2217 and 2028 no issues. This thing is 3/8 thick made from billet and i think the floor of the truck will rip out before the mount bends. I don't mind spending a little more for quality. I would reserve opinions until you own either of the mounts and tried them.

Not much of an update but I received some spare parts from Traxxas including the Traxxas wide 18t pinion and the Hot Racing fan setup. I'm waiting for the 50t hot racing spur gears to be in stock and I will order one or the 46t. I've been replacing the stock screws with stainless steel rcscrewz as well.

Still trying to decide on a cleaner wiring setup but here it is installed.

new look

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sweet Look with the clear body man. I just find the narrow front wheels to be a little weird looking. Have you tested the performance on those yet?
    We are all one race. The human race.

I did not like it at first and I thought the wheels were too small but the more I look at it the more I like it. I have to get some washers for the wheel nut before I can run them. I think this will help with keeping the rear body from rubbing the ground during wheelies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast