RC Enthusiast

Need help with gears

Hey guys. Getting my new xmaxx delivered on Tuesday. Just curious if you can help me with gearing. I'm looking to obtain 45-50mph. I'm a backyard basher so I'd like to see quick acceleration and still wheelie on command. I'm not a pavement pounder and as on now, the xmaxx is going to be my slowest truck. This is only my second traxxas, my first is a slash. I dropped a brushless in that and ran the secondary gearing and achieved 60. I'd like this to be slower but not by much. Like I said my target is a min of 45. I've seen the 46/25 combo for 60 but I'm not savy enough to wire up the fans yet and I'm hoping to just put a momba cooler on motor and be ok

More in this thread. Careful with gearing up and temps vs cooling.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Gearing-Chart!!
    Last edited by jeteffect; 01-08-2016 at 10:54 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So you're trying to go 45-50mph offroad? You might have some heat problems.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Competitor
    The castle fan plugs right in and zip ties over the top of the existing cooling fins without removing anything. Don't bother gearing at all without that $13 investment.

RC Enthusiast
    So it looks like 18/54 is my max. Pretty numbers for a 6s truck to be honest. And yes, 45 for bashing is what most of my trucks achieve. They may not all do it in rough terrain, but flat yard and hardpack yes. 20+ is usually suitable for most of my bashing. Not that I'm knocking the truck but I really was hoping for a bit more. Does anyone have experience with the 18/54 setup? I've got one buddy here at work with the stock setup and I really feel it's a dog for the amount of hype. I'm just looking for a bit more. Either way, I'll be running 2 3s 8400 traxxas packs. Not sure what kind of heat issues I may have

*Watch the language!*
    Last edited by Double G; 01-08-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: language

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    I did see that in a members YouTube and on the forum but thanks for the heads up. I plan on buying the fan and harness. I'm just not sure about keeping the esc cool. I don't need to be the fastest, I just want a bit more. With as reliable as my slash is I don't wanna do full upgrade to momba until I have to. I was thinking of getting the two small 30mm fans for esc, cutting out the sides of esc and molding some lexan shrouds to it and having both blow in from battery compartments. Then I was planning on running one of my crappy hexfly 2-3s packs to power the fans. I've just never modified my rcs with anything except plug and play.

RC Enthusiast
    I think 45 to 50 is to fast for the xmaxx unless your on pavment. I run a 18 tooth pinion and a 54 spur. Probably does 35 to 40 and that's plenty for this big truck if your bashing offroad. Trust me on that

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TAYLORSWIFT View Post
    I think 45 to 50 is to fast for the xmaxx unless your on pavment. I run a 18 tooth pinion and a 54 spur. Probably does 35 to 40 and that's plenty for this big truck if your bashing offroad. Trust me on that
    That's good to hear. Does the esc and motor run fine? I plan on getting at least the motor fan but still curious.

RC Competitor
    I am running 21/46 right now and its a bit much... going to try 18/54 and 18/46 next.. i do have the castle blower on my motor.. but so far so good on heat issues.. ran a full pack 6s through it the other night and motor didn't even get over 100....at 21/46

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running and 50mm fan over my motor but I don't go through full packs either. Everything seems to be running cool

RC Enthusiast
    I'm going to look for the 18t at my LHS tomorrow. I ordered the dual integy fan and harnes from the link above. Hopefully it gives me just enough to keep the smile on my face and the temps down

RC Qualifier
    I'm happy with 18/54. Should put the truck close to 40mph top speed, and it stays nice and cool with the castle blower. I also ordered the 17/50 setup. 17/50 should give me a little more speed, just dont know how the temps will be.

Take a good peek at your chart. Gearing at 16/54, 17/54, qnd 18/54 Traxxas sez better be on asphalt. Also, it looks like the stock electronics is at it's reliability limit with 15/54. I'd stick with the 15/54 unless you upgrade your electronics to the Castle or Leopard systems. Kershaw will have them for our Xmaxx's soon.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.