Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This thread is an interesting read for me.... I'm really liking the sounds of throwing in the mamba monster x esc vs spending almost $400 on the cc xlx 2028 combo. I'd have to wait and see long term how you guys are doing woth this esc combo vs stock. It sounds like you guys are having good results So far! Where are you guys finding these esc for $100? Lowest I found was liquid rc on eBay for $140.

RC Qualifier
    I got mine from liquid rc but had a coupon from ebay which brought it down to $100. Between the 18t pinion, the castle motor fan, and the Monster X, I couldn't be happier with the truck. Honestly, unless you are trying to do standing backflips I think the 2028 is overkill for this truck. I'm not saying that if someone gave me a free 2028 combo I wouldn't throw it in but with the few mods I have done thanks to this forum I am super happy with the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    I got mine from liquid rc but had a coupon from ebay which brought it down to $100. Between the 18t pinion, the castle motor fan, and the Monster X, I couldn't be happier with the truck. Honestly, unless you are trying to do standing backflips I think the 2028 is overkill for this truck. I'm not saying that if someone gave me a free 2028 combo I wouldn't throw it in but with the few mods I have done thanks to this forum I am super happy with the truck.
    Right on bro! That's what I like to hear. I havent had much time running my truck yet but the things I hear on this thread I've noticed with the truck, I would like a bit more speed (changing the gearing) and more low end punch so 100-140$ seems legit plus all the stock esc issues has me concerned. I will give it more time and see how you guys do with it. Keep us posted! Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Soldered mine up tonight. Didn't get a chance to drive it. The x looks good though!

RC Enthusiast
    How big of difference is there between the monster 2 and the monster x I have a 2 laying around might give it a try.

The original Mamba Monster was rated 120A continuous and 300A burst. I would assume the Monster X is even higher. If it's only pulling ~120A peak then this ESC is perfect for the X-Maxx.
    I talked to Castle a little while ago, because I was looking at going to a MMX for my Emaxx. Castle told met that the output power of a MM1, MM2, and MMX were the same. The difference was the MM1 wasn't waterproof, and the MMX had Data Logging and a stronger BEC. He also told me that, unless I wanted Data Logging, it wasn't worth the cost difference between a MM2 and a MMX.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    Did they mention if they thought it was ok to use in an xmaxx? I don't care either wAy mine works awesome just curious.

No, that conversation was before the Xmaxx came out. I will be calling them soon to ask about a XL-X. When I do I'll ask, and tell you what they say.

RC Racer
    I was the thinking about what you said about the mm2 vs mmx. I personally think the X is way better. Not only do you have the option of running a sensored motor but the biggest difference for me is the smooth start up running sensorless. I can basically crawl with this truck cause the X is so smooth on start up. The monster 2 kinda jumps to like 20% throttle when trying to go slow. The X has virtually no cogging and almost feels sensored.
    Just some thoughts I had.
    I've been messing with rx8's lately and I really like em but not waterproof. The feel and smoothness is even better then castles.

RC Racer
    Put in my MMX and hitec radio last night. The truck is like a whole new animal.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone who has switch over to a castle ESC noticed lower motor temperatures? I couldn't get mine much over 100f yesterday with an outside temp of 50f. Usually I'm closer to 140f. I have to do some more running to verify this. It'd be funny if a simple ESC swap solved all the issues people are having with this truck....minus the leaky shocks...

RC Racer
    I think the temps are lower because it has so much more torque you can't hold it wide open as much. More power makes you not use as much throttle. That's my theory anyway

RC Qualifier
    Does the 24v fan blow that much stronger than a 5v one? Thanks

RC Racer
    Yes and no. Fans are rated for rpm and cfm air flow. In general it seems like the higher voltage fans move more air. I guess they are more efficient? Gotta look at the cfm rating though to compare. Some 5 volt fans move allot of air.

RC Qualifier
    Did another run today with the Mamba X and 18t pinion. My motor temps did not go over 100f after hitting LVC on my SPC 3s 6500 65c's. I'm gonna do a couple more runs, but it looks like the fan isn't needed anymore. I'm amazed that simply changing the ESC has such an effect on the truck.

Did another run today with the Mamba X and 18t pinion. My motor temps did not go over 100f after hitting LVC on my SPC 3s 6500 65c's. I'm gonna do a couple more runs, but it looks like the fan isn't needed anymore. I'm amazed that simply changing the ESC has such an effect on the truck.
    What's the temperature outside?

Liquid RC must be out of the $140 ESC's.

I went through AMain & found an online coupon code, $15 off $150 ( 151516 ) that got it down to $146 with shipping.

RC Enthusiast
    were all just buying them too fast ;x, i just picked up one off him thursday

RC Qualifier
    today was in the 30's, my other run with the same temps was in the 50's.

RC Qualifier
    where did you guys mount the switch for the Mamba X esc? I can't find a good spot.

RC Qualifier
    The HW MAX6 are 145$ with coupon on amain and I think it better than mamba x, the Max6 can handle 8S with a 1200kv motor and he have a minimum 160 amps and maximum 1050. The Max6 have a electronic switch versus a mechanic switch on the mamba x. The Max6 have a super Bec 25 amps versus 8amps on the mamba x.
    Last edited by samintrepid; 01-21-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC Competitor
    Using an old Mamba Monster Mount for my Emaxx, some M3 Standoffs that are 25mm tall, an Aluminum Plate, and a little bit of hand fabrication, I was able to mount mine last night. Going to finish the wiring tonight. I am happy with the way it turned out. You can still see the X, the switch is mounted nicely, and most of the wires are covered up giving it a clean look.

RC Qualifier
    Excellent. I just ordered the same Mamba mount last night because my ESC tape is already coming loose.

RC Enthusiast
    I just picked up my X-Maxx tonight ( haven,t even opened,box yet )and have the Mamba X being delivered . Just wondering how you guys soldered the dual Traxxas connector to Mamba X esc? Anyone have pictures?

RC Qualifier
    I used deans connectors and one of the short motor wires they give you with the Mamba X to make the series connector. Use your stock ESC for reference.

I went out for my first run with the MMv1 installed and it was great having a custom throttle curve and 40% torque limiting. It's definitely a new animal. On 46/18 gearing my temps were 114 motor and 105 esc.

Here's the mount i used. bottom is from the Hot Racing MM mount kit and the top is the traxxas mount with the legs cut off. The standoffs are flattened on the back side.

X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

Nice job!!!!!
    -Blue X-maxx
    -E-Maxx 60.2mph
    -Spartan 48.2mph

Looks good guys! I love how factory it looks.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Racer

This might be another option for mounting Mamba Monsters and MMXes. HPI part #103676. Not sure if it fits the Xmaxx, but it's a nice ESC tray, I use it on different cars.

Did they mention if they thought it was ok to use in an xmaxx? I don't care either wAy mine works awesome just curious.
    I spoke to Castle the other day to ask them some more questions. One of my questions was the one you wanted me to ask. They said that they didn't know for sure (as of now), due to them not having an Xmaxx to test out different Castle equipped setups with it. They did say though, that they would like to have that kind of information out for us by this summer. They also said to be careful with your MMXtream ESC setup, because it may not have enough umph when the weather gets warmer. Anyway, I told you I'd ask, so I wanted to tell you all what they said.

Not doubting what you are righting, I'm doubting that a company like Castle would not have an Xmaxx in their possession to do some R&D. Each day that passes by money is lost. Sounds to me it is a rubber stamp excuse.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    So they think it may get hot in the summer. I'll deal with it then lol for now it's perfect.

I'm doubting that a company like Castle would not have an Xmaxx in their possession to do some R&D.
    Of course we both don't know for sure, because neither one of us are there in person...you could be right, though. I do know two things. One is, I have talked to this guy on many occasions over the years, and he has always seemed square to me. And two, I can believe that Castle hasn't gotten an Xmaxx yet, because one of my local hobby shops hasn't receive their first shipment yet while another one of my local hobby stores has gotten in three shipments of three Xmaxx's...all before Christmas.

Something else we might want to consider, is that, Traxxas didn't partner up with Castle this time for their Xmaxx's power needs. Being this is the case, there wouldn't be any need to give Castle a working prototype of an Xmaxx for them to work with. All-in-all, I can at least entertain the idea that Castle is giving me some reasonable scoop.

So they think it may get hot in the summer. I'll deal with it then lol for now it's perfect.
    Yep, but I agree with you. I wouldn't worry about it until then. I'm kind of leaning towards a Castle XL-2, and maybe even a Castle 2028 to go along with it. I haven't 100% made up my mind yet. The nice thing about you using a Castle MMxtreme is that it's more cost effective, and when installed it looks like a true factory setup.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-23-2016 at 09:12 AM.

RC Racer
    I've overheated many esc's through the years. Luckily with thermal protection it's no big deal and causes no damage.
    So with that said when it warms up I could care less if it gets hot. My concern would be if it hits thermal shutoff constantly. I'm guessing if the fans workin it will be fine. If not I'll cut the top of the case open and mount a huge fan in that to. Only if that fails will I be upgrading to an xxl. All about air flow. Even the motor with a huge fan can easily take loads it wasn't designed for. As long as we can cool it , it'll work fine

RC Racer
    As far as the 2028 goes I still believe the kv is to low for our application. And I really think even if you upgrade the esc the motor will be fine. It's not overkill and has the rite amount of power.

RC Enthusiast
    Got my MM-x all dialed in last night, amazing little upgrade.

RC Racer
    Holy wheelies batman......
    Put in the MMX, it was pretty good. Switched to 19/50 gearing...........look out. Can do complete backflips from a standstill. Can pull wheelies at about 60% throttle. Just insane.

RC Qualifier
    how are your temps running 19/50?

RC Racer
    how are your temps running 19/50?
    Less than 110*, though it is only 22* out in MN.

RC poster
    That install looks great! Could you post some links to where you got the mounts from?
    Also, I just ordered the mamba monster x and do I need to order any bullets to make this esc fit?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast