Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

Mamba monsterX successfully installed

So I kinda figured the Mamba monster X would be plenty to run this truck as I'm pretty sure the stock esc is just a 1/8 esc anyway. Today I installed it and it runs great. Not only that but I can datalog and obviously adjust everything like you should be able to do.
    So on to the good stuff, how it runs. Top end is about the same as I figured BUTTTT the bottom end is much improved and it doesn't feel like a big heavy truck anymore. The throttle response is awesome and when you nail the throttle it reacts instantly. Apparently the stock esc has a delay built in and kinda makes the truck feel lazy till it gets going.

On wet pavement the motor pulled a high of 126 amps. That's well within the specs of the mamba monster!
    By the way the motor plugs rite it with no mods and the stock remote runs it fine.

And of coarse the huge X looks rite at home in the xmaxx lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good work! You have a link to that fan?
    We are all one race. The human race.

Keep us updated! Thanks for posting!
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    I got the fan on Amazon it's a 70x70 24 volt. I beat the crap out of it today with monster X. Was literally wide open broad sliding and drifting in the street and motor was 119 degrees lol. Plus the 70x70 sits on the frame rails real nice lol

RC Racer
    Great to hear. I just stole a MMX for $60 shipped! Will be throwing it in the x-maxx when it gets here.

RC Racer
    Nice. The torque and response is wAy improved

RC Enthusiast
    I'm glad to see this. Just bought one tonight. Don't want to deal with the stock ESC anymore.

RC Qualifier
    Where are you powering your fan. Direct to receiver? Also are you using traxxas lipo battery an plugs? Studying for my future.
    Last edited by steveomaxx517; 01-10-2016 at 06:11 AM.

RC Racer
    I'm using using the traxxas plugs yes. For batteries im using smc 5000 3s. As for the fans. If it's a 5v fan plug it into the reciever. If it's a 12v fan you can power it off of the balance plugs on the lipos. If it's a 24v fan just power it off of the main battery leads for 24ish volts. I've used All three methods they all work

RC Qualifier
    I'm assuming the answer is no, but would the self-righting feature still work with the castle ESC?
    Last edited by bigtim1985; 01-10-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    I'm assuming the answer is no, but would the self-righting feature still work with the castle ESC?
    Actually, the answer is Yes. Self righting does work with aftermarket ESC, it's controlled by the TSM receiver.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Although I haven't had any issues with the Traxxas ESC, I just got a mamba X on EBAY for $100 bucks, so I'm hoping I can sell my Traxxas ESC and end up breaking even.

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure why you would run that ESC in an X-Maxx. Castle's Application Guidelines for the Mamba Monster X ESC are:

"Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 15 lbs, with batteries, ready-to-run."

The X-Maxx is 19.1 lbs already and I don't think that includes batteries.

RC Qualifier
    Read thru this thread.... There have been other success stories as well throughout this forum and others. I want to throw it in and give it a shot. If it fails, it's on me.

Eventually I think I am going to go the castle 2028 route with the xlx ESC, but I want to see how that works out once kershaw releases the mount.
    Last edited by bigtim1985; 01-10-2016 at 11:31 AM.

RC Competitor
    This thread has me interested. Been thinking about using this setup myself. I understand that this ESC is rated for a vehicle at less than 15 lbs. But the issue with the larger scale ESC's from Castle is they are not waterproof. This Mamaba Monster X ESC is. I myself am looking for a waterproof solution to upgrade the ESC.

RC Racer
    The mamba X could care less about the weight of the vehicle it's the amps being pulled that they are worried about. Being its being run on 6s it's actually pretty efficient. I already datalogged a high spike of only 126 amps. No problem for a mamba monster. Plus do you really think the stock esc is more powerful then a monsterX? the stock esc is at best a 1/8 scale esc.Even if the motor pulled 180-190 spike in amps it's still well in spec. It doesn't even get hot while running it.
    My personal opinion is the xlx is overkill and not needed if your gonna use the stock motor and 6s.

Now if you gear it to go 150mph on 6s then we might see issues lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfueled1 View Post
    The mamba X could care less about the weight of the vehicle it's the amps being pulled that they are worried about. Being its being run on 6s it's actually pretty efficient. I already datalogged a high spike of only 126 amps. No problem for a mamba monster. Plus do you really think the stock esc is more powerful then a monsterX? the stock esc is at best a 1/8 scale esc.Even if the motor pulled 180-190 spike in amps it's still well in spec. It doesn't even get hot while running it.
    My personal opinion is the xlx is overkill and not needed if your gonna use the stock motor and 6s.

Now if you gear it to go 150mph on 6s then we might see issues lol.
    Only reason I'm doing this is because of the information in this thread! Thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    I just don't see why Traxxas would put as much design into the X-Maxx as they did and give it an ESC that is not in line with it's weight, especially when they push their 8400 MAH batteries which make for a heavy truck. I am subscribed now, and hope for the best for your tuck.

RC Racer
    Because amperage wise it is IN SPEC! The only reason I changed it is because of the slow throttle response and lack of programmability.

You could put it in a 45 pound truck if it only pulled 150 amps!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Im only looking for about 45 mph out of this truck im thinking 18 pinion with 50 spur gear stock motor with castle ceraction dual fan on motor and changing out stock esc to the castle creations xlx esc what you guys think that seem possible?I was going to do the full cc xlx system but really don't want to spend all that kind of money. Im not sure if just changing to xlx esc that this stock motor won't overheat in the summer time when its 90 degrees out ?
    Last edited by David1970; 01-10-2016 at 12:40 PM.

RC Racer
    Just a small update. Ran the mamba X with 18/50 gearing on 6s. GPS was 42.5 MPH and motor with my fan was 120 at the end of two 5000 packs. In my opinion it's perfect!!! Any faster an it would hard to control.
    I know some of you guys are gonna want 50+ but we know the X is good till at least low 40's. I'll let you guys test the limits ��

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David1970 View Post
    Im only looking for about 45 mph out of this truck im thinking 18 pinion with 54 spur gear stock motor with castle ceraction dual fan on motor and changing out stock esc to the castle creations xlx esc what you guys think that seem possible?
    I just hit 42.5 on 18/50. The esc isn't gonna change the top end much at all. It's not pulling many amps once it's at full speed.

Your gonna need 19/50 gearing. That should put you rite around 45

RC Competitor
    I just hit 42.5 on 18/50. The esc isn't gonna change the top end much at all. It's not pulling many amps once it's at full speed.

Your gonna need 19/50 gearing. That should put you rite around 45
    Ok kool you think cc xlx is overkill? I'm just water wondering what the Motor going to run like when it's 90 degrees plus even with the ESC being changed out to the ex cc xlx or xl2 or the Mamba X . Really not sure which way I should go with this thanks for the info though any suggestions would help

RC Qualifier
    Ok kool you think cc xlx is overkill? I'm just water wondering what the Motor going to run like when it's 90 degrees plus even with the ESC being changed out to the ex cc xlx or xl2 or the Mamba X . Really not sure which way I should go with this thanks for the info though any suggestions would help
    I don't think it is a good long term solution. The XLX will give you more flexibility in the future if you want to upgrade motors.

RC Racer
    The stock motor is very capable. The only reason for a motor upgrade is if you wanna go 50 plus on a consistent basis. Then with that huge motor you gotta worry about drivetrain wear. Again this is only my opinion. The xlx is obviously a beast and more then suited for this application.
    That said , motor fans are almost a must on any high power application. Nitros have huge heat sinks sticking out the body lol. With a fan the temps drop enormously. And that's all you gotta worry about is temps.

RC Competitor
    The stock motor is very capable. The only reason for a motor upgrade is if you wanna go 50 plus on a consistent basis. Then with that huge motor you gotta worry about drivetrain wear. Again this is only my opinion. The xlx is obviously a beast and more then suited for this application.
    That said , motor fans are almost a must on any high power application. Nitros have huge heat sinks sticking out the body lol. With a fan the temps drop enormously. And that's all you gotta worry about is temps.
    So your basically saying is even if your change esc to cc xlx or mamba x with stock motor and lets just say cc duel fan geared at 18/50 and 90 degrees weather you think there's going to be a hot issue with stock motor. ..

RC Racer
    I'm sure Traxxas has done plenty of testing during the summer time. They aren't going sell thousands of trucks if they can't make it through the summer months. Time will tell. I will probley upgrade eventually but not til my stock esc fails.

RC Racer
    So your basically saying is even if your change esc to cc xlx or mamba x with stock motor and lets just say cc duel fan geared at 18/50 and 90 degrees weather you think there's going to be a hot issue with stock motor. ..

I think it will be ok yes. 18/50 in 90 degree weather with a nice fan will be ok. Without a fan not so much. I will add that I race 1/8 scale high end stuff and I can overheat any motor I've run without a fan. With a fan I can run 8 4s packs through a truggy back to back and come off at 150 degrees. I run a fan on every motor I own if I'm gonna run it more then 5-10 minutes.
    My erevo runs crazy hot with a castle 2200. With a fan it doesn't got over 140.

I see people say all the time that a proper setup doesn't need a fan. That comes from a racing point of view and is absolutely correct. Problem is most e races are 5-8 minutes long. That rule doesn't apply to us. We wanna run for hours and stay cool. How can a motor stay cool with basically no airflow for more the a few minutes.
    Last edited by Dragonfueled1; 01-10-2016 at 02:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    I cant seem to find info on the max amps that can be drawn from the Monster X esc
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

RC Qualifier
    All 1/8 ESC have a motor limit in size 4074 maximun
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
    I cant seem to find info on the max amps that can be drawn from the Monster X esc
    Castle doesn't like to say but if you look up a tekin rx8 that is supposed to be the monsters competition it's states 220 amps.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by samintrepid View Post
    All 1/8 ESC have a motor limit in size 4074 maximun
    I have been running my Mamba Monsters in different cars with a Castle 1717 1650kv (46x85mm without fins, 580gram), works perfectly. Also in summer with 30C weather.

Same goes for Hobbywing Xerun 150A ESCs, there are people running them with TPPower 4070 and Poseidon 1527 motors (40x106mm, about 600gram) without any problems.

BTW: Those amp rating on ESCs are just marketing numbers anyway.

RC Qualifier
    I just installed my monster x today. Wow is all i have to say. Huge improvement over stock ESC. Much, much more low end power. Only hit a little over 120 amps max on the data log. For anyone that has data logged this setup, what temps were you seeing for the ESC? I had a max temp of 152f after a full set of packs. Just wondering if that is in the normal range. thanks.

RC Racer
    Yeah mine was like 175 once but I was doing everything I could go get it hot. I'm talking power slides on asphault and lots of stops and full throttle. I really think it's a good fit for the truck. I usually see 150 ish. On that 175 degree run I pulled a few 130 amp loads lol

RC Qualifier
    I think it may be reading high because the lowest temp right after powering up was 100f. The truck was in my house which is around 68f. I walked it outside and plugged it in. Taking that into account, if the log is showing 150, there's a good chance it's actually around 120f. I will check later or tomorrow if I can find my temp gun. What does your log show as min temp? thanks.

RC Racer
    Hmmmm never checked that I'll look into it

RC Qualifier
    just ran it again. low temp 101, seems to stabilize around 145 and fluctuate a little lower or higher from there. Outside temp is 35f. My max temp was 156. Couldn't find my temp gun for this run. I'll report back tomorrow.

RC Champion
    The original Mamba Monster was rated 120A continuous and 300A burst. I would assume the Monster X is even higher. If it's only pulling ~120A peak then this ESC is perfect for the X-Maxx.

Edit: Source for Original Mamba Monster ratings.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 01-14-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    Agreed. Amperage wise the Monster X is well within/below that range. I just wonder what an acceptable temp range is for it. I'm gonna shoot castle an email. Mine seems to level out around 145f. I'm super happy with the swap......the truck has way more low end. It's almost like the stock ESC has alot of punch control programmed into it.

RC Racer
    Hahaha I took the stock esc and put it into my revo. That's when I noticed how laggy it was.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast