Thread: Soon....

RC Competitor

Soon....

On Saturday, the wifey told me that I could buy an RC. She was out there with me and the two year old twins watching the neighbors run their newly acquired cars around the street and on the ramp they built. She told me "Just don't go crazy". I asked if that meant that the $800 X-Maxx I saw at the LHS was off limits and she just shook her head. Over dinner, she asked if I could get a good car for $500. She said it looked like a good hobby that I needed.

Sunday morning, I got the email from Tower stating they had their e-cash promotion running. I joined the Super Saver Club that morning and got the new coupon codes. I ordered a Slash 4x4 Ultimate with Lipo, RPM skid plate and bumper and Traxxas 19T pinion for $500.47 after coupon. Plus, I should get an additional $60 in e-cash. I plan on putting that towards a quality charger.

I really, really wanted to buy from my LHS. They matched Tower's price of $559, but that would have gone to $600 after tax. Over all, I'm looking at a $160 difference. I just couldn't swing that. I will buy my future mods from them and replacement parts as they are needed. But, I feel so bad.

What parts should I expect to break? I assume RPM arms are the first to go on. Should I get a motor fan? i live in Houston, so I expect the temps to climb during the summer. If I were to build a toolbox, what will I need to work on this car? I'd hate to raid my regular toolbox all the time.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

The first thing that I recommend that you get is a quality set of tools! The truck comes with stock tools that will work but a lot of times will strip the screws. Quality tools are a must
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Your wife make the same great mistake mine did! You will have fun with it and congrats.

Yep...tools and a good charger. I use MIP hex drivers, a little spendy but great quality..there are others too. Here's a link with a decent price:

http://www.advantagehobby.com/239535...gDNRoCljjw_wcB

Lots of good/affordable chargers out there..just shop around. If you got this truck it comes with a EZ Peak charger..that'll work just fine.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...imate-lipo-tsm

RPM arms are good but the stock arms are fine unless you plan on hitting stuff with it. I still have the stock rears on mine and the only reason I put RPMs on the front was that darn mailbox jumping in front of my truck. The Ultimate is a great truck with most of the necessary upgrades already done. Run that bad boy on 2s and have fun!! When you decide to hit it with 3s then you'll need some more upgrades.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Congrats on the purchase... Make sure you that your wife!

As others have said, first thing to get is a quality set of tools and charger.

I have MIPs and have had no problems. Before that, I had a cheap set of Home Desperate tools and striped screws.

Here's another source for MIPs with a good price:
    http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi....pl?pn=MIP9502
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Have fun with your new truck! I just got an Ultimate recently and love it! The charger that comes with it is pretty good...charges single 2s lipos in about an hour.
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Qualifier
    Welcome! As others have stated, the MIP hex drivers are high quality and won't strip screws like the cheaper ones or the tools that come with the truck. Hopefully your wife will understand that the $500 was the opening of the checkbook for replacement parts and upgrades...
    "Splash" ProLine Slash
    Rustler VXL

Definitely MIP drivers, aluminum clamp-on wheel hexes, maybe a dual charger. I can get away with a heat sink on my motor, but you may need to get a fan.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Competitor
    I figure the stock charger will get the job done. I just have $60 to spend at Tower and didn't want to lose it. It's basically Kohl's Cash for Tower. I want to buy mods and spare parts at my LHS. I'll buy an SPC or SMC lipo. That pretty much leaves an upgraded charger to buy at Tower. I just wish their selection was better.

RC Champion
    I'm not familiar with Tower's ecash but if you have to use it or lose it, you could always just stock up on the usual wear parts:
    -Replacement Bearings
    -Driveshafts (6852x & 6854x)
    -Quality hex tool set
    -Tires
    You'll buy them sooner or later!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Tower's ecash but if you have to use it or lose it, you could always just stock up on the usual wear parts:
    -Replacement Bearings
    -Quality hex tool set
    -Tires
    The shafts you listed...are they stock replacements? I suppose that's the front and rears?

RC Champion
    Yup, 6852x is the complete rear axle from diff outdrive through the stub axle. 6854x is just the front stub axle. Buy one of each and you're covered for whichever axle needs replaced first. The only difference between front and rear is the stub axle.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    -Replacement Bearings
    -Quality hex tool set
    -Tires
    Yes, Tower gives you like a week to use it. They will send an email saying that your credit is available.
    No, They won't go past that use date.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills79 View Post
    The shafts you listed...are they stock replacements? I suppose that's the front and rears?
    Yes, stock front and rear.
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Qualifier
    I just joined Towers thing as well and was looking at that email today. I want to do the same thing...get a slash ultimate. My LHS is 590 on theres...so I can get it for almost 100$ less AND have some ecash to spend on some more parts. I was going to stick with the charger that comes with it and get some other things with the ecash...like some replacement parts...or maybe the stainless steal sets like the screws and bearings so I dont have to worry as much about them seizing or rusting if it gets wet. What color combo did you end up with?

Heres what i would get to start out with if i had $60 credit

Esc fan (1)
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSGV1&P=ML

Rpm a arms (4)
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZHG9&P=ML
    Slash 4X4 bunch of upgrades handful of shiny parts

RC Competitor
    The ecash comes available on the 21st, so I do have some time to decide. By then I should know what I need or will need or want in terms of parts, tools, etc. The truck shipped today, so I should have it later this week. I do wish they offered a kit though. I really would like to have built it myself like my old Tamiya cars in the decades past.

I should order my extra battery tonight or tomorrow so I have that as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Welcome to the obsession.

All your options and the options stated above are great ideas. I know extra batteries were my first purchase.

Have fun with the new toy.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post
    What color combo did you end up with?
    I went with Red/Black. I liked that the best.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacochu View Post
    I went with Red/Black. I liked that the best.
    That's what I got...

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to this great ($$$ sucking ) hobby.
    Don't worry about it not being a kit. You'll be taking it apart sooner and more often than you think. The ultimate with the lipo and decent charger is the way to go.

RC Enthusiast
    Looks good. Keep us updated.

RC Competitor
    The truck is set to be here by Thursday afternoon. I ordered an SPC battery on Tuesday, so if they ship relatively quickly, I should have an extra battery to run this weekend. Of course, I am busy Thursday and Friday evenings and most of the day on Saturday. Maybe I can get out Friday afternoon while the kids are napping to do a shake down run.

Awesome man, youll have a blast. Just remember to take it slow at first untill you get used to the steering and throttle and braking controls. Im sure you already know this but doesnt hurt to advise if it helps someone prevent a fatal crash within the first 5 mins out of the box, heard about it many time
    Slash 4X4 bunch of upgrades handful of shiny parts

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordbronco1995 View Post
    Awesome man, youll have a blast. Just remember to take it slow at first untill you get used to the steering and throttle and braking controls. Im sure you already know this but doesnt hurt to advise if it helps someone prevent a fatal crash within the first 5 mins out of the box, heard about it many time
    I thought it was a rite of passage to go to the LHS to buy new parts the first day you drive the new truck!

RC Competitor
    My LHS is 3 miles away. Not too bad...or too good for my wallet.

RC Competitor
    Mr. UPS Guy dropped this off a bit ago. The battery is charging and the kids just went down for a nap. Now I get to check that everything is tight,do some reading of the manual and take it out for a spin.

RC Qualifier
    Mr. UPS Guy dropped this off a bit ago. The battery is charging and the kids just went down for a nap. Now I get to check that everything is tight,do some reading of the manual and take it out for a spin.

Nice! About to pill the trigger and order mine.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Awesome!!!!!!
    If it cant be broke, I'll break it.

RC Competitor
    One run down and nothing broken. Sure, there were a few barrel rolls, some curb jumps and a glancing blow to my ankle, no no damage or broken parts. Top speed was 32 mph per the app. I'll put the 19T pinion in for tomorrow's run.

RC Competitor
    Second run and broke the right side a-arm when I clipped a tree. Luckily my neighbor had a spare since he broke the other side on his truck last week. I guess it's off to the LHS for a set of RPM arms tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Ouch lol. That tree jumped out in front of ya didn't it lol

RC Enthusiast

Soon....

Second run and broke the right side a-arm when I clipped a tree. Luckily my neighbor had a spare since he broke the other side on his truck last week. I guess it's off to the LHS for a set of RPM arms tomorrow.
    Been there, those things jump out in front of you. RPM's are a must have. Keep up the bashing.

Please watch the *s in your posts.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-15-2016 at 10:36 PM.