RC Competitor

LHS doesn't carry traxxas lipo because...

LHS doesn't carry traxxas lipos. They keep telling me traxxas lipos are no good for the price. What are your thoughts?

RC Racer
    Order online!

Sounds like their opinion and they can buy/sell whatever they want. They probably sell low quality batteries thinking they are the gift to RC. Many people like them and if you want you could order directly from Traxxas or another online store.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    They do seem a bit pricey compared to others from my very limited research. Plus, you need an adapter cable with separate balance circuit if you use a non-Traxxas charger to charge the ID batteries. There are a lot of different brands of batteries out there, so find one you like at a price you like and have fun.

IMHO...Traxxas kinda messed up with this ID stuff. I bought my Slash a year ago and it came with 2 2s lipos(regular connector). I also bought a 6 amp EZ Peak charger. They are good packs and the charger works great. However, now when I look at Traxxas packs they are all ID packs(which require me to buy a $12 adapter to use my existing charger) and a decent 2s pack is $80+! That's $90+ for a 2s pack. I can buy almost 3 SPC or SMC 2s packs for that and use the charger I have without an adapter.

I really believe Traxxas should go back to their high current connector(great connector btw). I was brand new to all of this 1 year ago and I figured out how to connect/charge a lipo with very little issue. The EZ Peak I have makes it very simple without the ID stuff. Many other chargers do the same.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    I've been using THIS ID battery 5800mAh 2s for $58.95
    HERE is a Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus Dual Charger and two 5000mAh 11.1V iD Batteries for $149.95
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Champion
    60$ for a 2s 5800mah seems expensive no?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    60$ for a 2s 5800mah seems expensive no?
    I don't think so. Does $465 for a Milwaukee battery drill seem expensive? I can buy a similar drill for half.
    I like to think that Traxxas sets a higher standard like Milwaukee does.
    I can prove Milwaukee is better, but I'm new to Traxxas so I don't have proof. I always try to buy the best not the cheapest.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Competitor
    I bought a traxas 6400mah 11.1 v lipo3s for 90.00 on amazon.

Great deal!

RC Competitor
    60 canadian? thats like 40 usd at the moment.

Buy 2!

RC Champion
    whats the difference between the hard case and soft pack?

Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    whats the difference between the hard case and soft pack?
    Exactly what it sounds like. A hard case lipo has the cells within a hard plastic case. Soft packs do not have the hard plastic case....typically a thick heat shrink type wrap. Hard cases can take a few more bumps but soft packs can fit in smaller spaces. There's pros and cons. I run power cells which are soft cases as my ERBE has limited battery room. But the trade off is they are completely protected in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelee View Post
    LHS doesn't carry traxxas lipos. They keep telling me traxxas lipos are no good for the price. What are your thoughts?

I have a pair of Traxxas 2s 5800 mAh and 3s 5000 mAh for my ERBE. They are a bit pricey compared to some but are very very good batteries. They stay almost perfectly balanced at all times. The gap voltage is usually no more than .02. When I balance them it takes my charger around 15 seconds to complete the balance (sometimes 20!). That's how close they stay. I really don't even need to balance them but I'm really picky about my battery maintenance. So far the IR is still really really low. Tons of power and I get usually at minimum 30 minutes out of them. Granted I'm not full throttle all of the time but for the amount of power my truck puts down that's still a really decent run time. If you have a non-ID charger (as I do) you do have to buy the little adapters but $22 for 2 of them really isn't that bad. AND, Traxxas' battery warranty is astounding when it comes time to replace a pack. Be it abuse or manufacture faults. I will always run the Traxxas Power Cells and recommend them.
    Last edited by C0BRAX; 03-15-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    Happy Motoring!