RC poster

Question Fill the parts box

So I am picking up the revo tsm and I am wanting to make sure I had some of the basic parts that commonly break. I am picking up a couple 7.4v 2cell 7600mah lipo batteries/duel charger as well as a couple sets of tires(set for street and trails). Please any other recommendations!

So please help me out!

Also I am just getting back into rc after 20years

RC Competitor
    - If you're getting the Traxxas brand charger then you're OKAY, but if you purchased other charger then you would have to get the banana plug for your non-traxxas charger.

- If you're an aggressive driver/basher like me on cement ground then your front body posts will take major damages. Mine are almost completely gone...

- If you hit something at max speed, there's a good chance you can break your axles, push rods, and turnbuckles.

- Best to check your motor spur and pinion gears meshing to see if they are aligned/meshed correctly! Mine wasn't aligned correctly so it gear slipped out on me, and it started to chipped.

- Don't ever leave your lipo batteries plugged into the ESC once the batteries ran out of juice. It will caused a low-voltage error message on your charger therefore you can't charge! I learned the hard way!

RC Racer
    There's no Tracxas brand charger that will charge both of those batteries at the same time at a full 1C. This leads to longer than necessary charge times.

RC poster
    So traxxas makes a battery that they have no charger for?

I have ordered both traxxas dual charger and traxxas lipo batteries. Should I return? I am looking for long run time not crazy high speeds. What would you suggest to change?

RC poster
    The dual charger works fine with the 7600 MAH 2s batteries. You also have the option of setting high-rate charge and charging one battery at a time. I find one plug drains the battery more than the other on my ERBE, so I marked batteries and switch which plug I use to even out the wearing on the batteries.

RC Racer
    Not both of those at the same time at full rate. Quick math says you need ~135W to do that. If you upgrade to higher capacity or support higher charge rate batteries in the future then limitations will be even more pronounced.

RC Competitor
    I'll will say u made a good choice going w 2 cell and not 3 in this car

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    Not both of those at the same time at full rate. Quick math says you need ~135W to do that. If you upgrade to higher capacity or support higher charge rate batteries in the future then limitations will be even more pronounced.
    Recommendation?

RC Racer
    No recommendation really. Just something you should be aware of when picking this stuff out. Traxxas chargers are nice, inexpensive and easy to use, but be underpowered for this application. Maybe you will find that the pros outweigh that fact.

High powered Ac/dc chargers are expensive and dc/dc chargers are more complicated and potentially far more expensive.

I personally got an icharger 206b and wired up a computer power supply. It'll do 350W and I'm only into it for a little over $100. It can be done for under 200 including a new power supply.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    Yeah, you're totally right.

As to parts to pick up just in case @Jcruse83, I've broken a wing mount (the smaller part of it), an axle carrier, and a spur gear, all within a week of getting one. I do "play" in the snow though, so the broken parts are mostly due to the cold. The spur gear I had to replace as out of the box the slipper is way too loose. Do the proper break-in for the slipper using the stock batteries, then adjust the slipper, before you go up to the 2S LiPos. I can pull wheelies pretty easy on the dual 2S pretty easy, and I get nearly an hour of run time, more if I'm taking a walk through town to get to a field with it. I can do about 40 minutes of a walking pace, and then a good 20-25 minutes of faster stuff in the field before I need to swap batteries. Again, this is all in the snow, with roughly -14f temps.