RC poster

New VXL - best upgrade parts for durability?

RC car noob here. I got sick of the constant repairs on my quadcopter and decided to try something new. Picked up the rustler vxl. Any ideas on what parts I should pick up to prevent breaks as I learn to drive? I've already found the wide front bumper and wheelie bar, figure those are two good ones. Hearing a lot of stuff about aluminum castor blocks and whatnot. The car isn't here yet so I haven't been able to familiarize myself with all the parts just yet. I'm planning on driving mainly on road to start with, and could use a tire recommendation as well. Thanks for any advice.

RC Enthusiast
    I am new to the Rustler as well, but here is what I have upgraded on mine so far, mostly for durability purposes. My son has one as well and broke the stock caster blocks on his first day. That is what lead us to starting the upgrades.

Traxxas aluminum caster blocks
    Traxxas aluminum steering blocks w/ bearings
    Traxxas aluminum rear axle carriers w/ bearings
    Traxxas aluminum front camber links
    Traxxas aluminum rear camber links
    STRC aluminum hex hubs
    RPM front bumper
    JConcepts wheels w/ G-locs front and rear

I also have the Traxxas aluminum steering turnbuckles (toe links) that I will be installing this weekend.

RC Enthusiast
    FYI, aluminum links are weaker than the steel links so for durability purposes, not the best choice. One thing to add to that list is an aluminum bulkhead to help keep pins from bending. Also RPM shock towers are much stronger than stock. One hard landing upside down and say goodbye to the rear tower.

I broke my rear shock tower by having my friend do a 35ish mph side crash against a curb. The whole tower tore where its screwed on. Along with the screw bending, i have had the screws that keep the plate(which is above the servo) bend a lot but they still work :P

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    FYI, aluminum links are weaker than the steel links so for durability purposes, not the best choice. One thing to add to that list is an aluminum bulkhead to help keep pins from bending. Also RPM shock towers are much stronger than stock. One hard landing upside down and say goodbye to the rear tower.
    I have read that about the aluminum. If they bend/break I will upgrade to the VXL steel ones. Already planning the RPM shock towers and aluminum bulkhead but have to hold off until after the Castle Sidewinder 3/4600 brushless upgrade :-)

Drive it, see what breaks, then replace. Unless you have deep pockets. Well, actually, don't get into this addiction unless you have deep pockets. Off the bat probably the only thing that "needs to be replaced are the caster blocks. They will save you from bending the pins that hold the front carriers and save the carriers as well. Go with either strc or traxxas. I usually buy strc stuff because I like their colors more. Beyond that I haven't seen a quality difference.