RC poster

Aftermarket Shocks

I heard from my local Hobby Shop there are aftermarket shocks that are orange that people on the X Maxx facebook page are using. They are supposed to be the cat's meow. I can't find anything about them. Does anybody here know what they are using for the X-Maxx. After the 3 week fiasco I just went through getting my shock shaft, I am not looking to have to do this again anytime soon. Would like a heavy duty upgraded shock, to not have to worry about. My LHS said he got a set of E Bay for $80 for all four, and they should be here next week. If any of you know about this, please inform this community. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

RC poster
    Ok, finally got accepted to the group talking about it. This is the shocks they are using for X-Maxx http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Scale-Ro...8AAOSwnDxUgNYh

those look great! me likey dual rate springs.

RC Enthusiast
    What is this Facebook group I keep hearing about? I can't seem to find one.

RC Competitor
    So these baja shocks fit the X-maxx perfectly without any modifications?
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

Curious to know the benefits, if any, of these over stock?

RC poster
    I'm guessing they have basic similarities to real world shocks (i.e. preload, dampening, rebound, etc). To be honest, if you don't know what aftermarket shocks can give you, you may not be able to take advantage of them and stock shocks may be just fine until they wear out or break.

But then again, people will spend extra on their hobbies just to look cool even if they won't use it to full potential.. I know I'm guilty of it.

RC poster
    Here is the link to the page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Xmaxx/
    Well, after using truck for 10 minutes, 23 Dec 2015, jumping it 2 feet dirt to grass, and breaking the left front shock. After 3 weeks without my truck,I just got my 2 new shafts yesterday, but LHS was closed. Drove out there today and let them replace the left front. Ran 1 battery set in big open field. Charged, ran 1 set in the fresh 1/2 inch snow and ice. Charged again. My neighbor's son brought his out and we ran both of ours. I was doing a donunt, and he was trying to video the right front tire spinning in the air, 3 times it size. He bumped the throttle, and his truck hit mine, about 7 mph or so. Knocked my truck on it's side. Guess what. Left front shock is broken again. I am done with Traxxas's crappy manufacturing of shock shafts, and will gladly try anything at this point. The good news is they send them in pairs, so I have one shaft left. The Rovan's should be at LHS next week, and I am getting the first set he receives!!!!

well the benefits we can see are that they have dual rate springs, aluminum caps, and dust covers over the shafts.

we can only assume they have stronger shafts and dampen as well or better than the stock shocks.

dan4aspen: man that sucks. if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck with this thing. i look forward to your review of these rovan shocks if you'd be so kind.
    Last edited by rizz0d; 01-12-2016 at 09:35 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for sharing. I'm interested if it's direct fit and length etc. Please post updates... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I'm interested if it's direct fit and length etc. Please post updates... thanks.
    Looking forward to an update also.

These are a little different. May also fit, and cheaper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-Rear-Sho...3D331405539130

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    those look great! me likey dual rate springs.
    I know what pre load is.... But
    Dual rate springs? Can you explain?

RC Qualifier
    those rovan shocks are "the same" like the hpi baja rear shocks i proposed here some time ago. the rovan buggy is a "knock off" of the hpi baja.

dual rate means that you have one softer spring to react to the smaller bumps and "swallow" them and a harder 2nd spring that comes in when you do bigger jumps and the like.
    Exercitatio artem paravit

RC Competitor
    I don't think I'd stray from traxxas factory shocks until they offer some big bores or the big names in aftermarket catch up. getting replacement parts for those China shocks cannot be easy. I like trying different shock oil weights. So just needing new shock seals will be a hassle.

RC Racer
    I would love some dual rate springs.

Quote Originally Posted by rhylsadar View Post
    those rovan shocks are "the same" like the hpi baja rear shocks i proposed here some time ago. the rovan buggy is a "knock off" of the hpi baja.

dual rate means that you have one softer spring to react to the smaller bumps and "swallow" them and a harder 2nd spring that comes in when you do bigger jumps and the like.
    Thanks for the reply. After looking at the second set another time I may question the quality!? But something to try once and share experience with others.

RC poster
    There is a few people on the Facebook page that already have them. You have to have the rear shocks from that truck.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Curious to know the benefits, if any, of these over stock?
    Probably everything considering everything from the shock cap to the shaft are weak links in the stock ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dan4aspen View Post
    There is a few people on the Facebook page that already have them. You have to have the rear shocks from that truck.
    Pls explain...

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered a set from ebay to see what kind of fit they will be . if they fit well and look like they will be stronger then I will get the second set . looks like a great option as they as suited for 1/5 scale duty.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Pls explain...
    The shocks are from a baja 5b buggy ripoff. The buggy has shorter front shocks and longer rear, our rigs need the longer "rear" shocks on all four corners.

Thanks for that clarification!

RC Qualifier
    Then you can get the phat dad hardend steel shock shafts if you run Baja shocks

http://www.davesmotors.com/phatdad-r...5b-5t-5sc.html

RC Racer
    But look what that guy wrote he was doing donuts. Looking at his tire 3 times the size lol. With the big shocks and tires that's a lot of stress.

RC Enthusiast
    The Rovan shocks are 5-10mm shorter than the stock GTX shocks but have a 6mm piston rod all the way to the end of the ball end . These shocks have been around for quite awhile and are good depend able units. If you want to make the change over you will have to buy two sets of rear baja shocks and the cost 40$ per set. The fix is a direct change over and pins fit perfect, the truck does lose that 7mm of height but it isn't noticeable on this huge monster.
    Last edited by dirtslide; 01-15-2016 at 01:58 AM.

Are there not more choices? I figured with all the different manufacturers out there that something else would work.

Figures, now that I've spent a pile on new bodies, tops & bottoms, ha.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtslide View Post
    I just ordered a set from ebay to see what kind of fit they will be . if they fit well and look like they will be stronger then I will get the second set . looks like a great option as they as suited for 1/5 scale duty.
    Well ?
    How'd they fit ?

RC Qualifier
    Unlimited Engineering have come to the party with TiNi coated hardened steel shafts.
    Anyone looking for a tougher alternative shaft, using the big bore Traxxas shocks, I'd recommend these without doubt.

I think the idea of using the 'orange' aka Rovan / KM rear Baja shocks is simply to have stronger shafts.
    Those jumping their 'X' over houses or similar were breaking the shafts, amongst other things of course - mounts, arms, wheels to name a few, plus of course the diffs.

Al.