RC poster

Leaking revo diffs.... very frustrated

I'm having trouble keeping fluid in the front and rear diffs on my merv. I only get 5 or 6 runs before the fluid leaks out. I've tried using new o rings, entire new diff housings, methodically check sealing surfaces, not over torquing the bolts.. still nothing. I don't know if it is cintrifugal force pulling the fluid out, heat from 60k weight fluid during gear action, or crummy products. My only solution that I have insight now is to run a thin bead of rtv around the mating surface for a surfire result. Has anyone else run into this issue, If so what works?

RC Racer
    Please explain where you are seeing fluid leak from while everything is assembled in driving form.

When you open the differential housing is it empty?
    Are you using differential fluid inside the housing for the ring gear and diff pinion or grease?
    Diff fluid inside the differential only. I use the traxxas,other brands also work.
    I use automotive wheel bearing grease for the ring and pinion gears.

RC poster
    When I pop the diff open there is generally 1/3 to half as much fluid as I initially put in there when I was filling it up.

Lol yeah I'm filling the diff, not the bulkhead.

I'm using team associated diff fluid. Also I'm using a good moly grease on the ring and pinion teeth.

My problem is that I can't see where the fluid is coming from, when I crack the bulkhead open and expose the differential, all the grease has been mixed with silicone fluid from seepage and it covers the entire inside of the bulkhead.

RC Racer
    Assuming you don't have any loose screws,I would check the gasket. It may have a rip or tear,possibly not staying seated during assembly. I would replace that anyway.
    When I redid the front diff on my Telluride from factory because it was slipping so much,I found that the fluid and grease had mixed. The diff had very little fluid in it,it leaked because the gasket was pinched out of place during assembly.

RC poster
    Are you referencing the two micro o rings on the outer diff covers? Or the two output shaft seal/ gaskets?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Braveliltoaster View Post
    Are you referencing the two micro o rings on the outer diff covers? Or the two output shaft seal/ gaskets?
    The ring gear and the diff cup should have a gasket that seals the fluid in. From your description, seems you have a leak there.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Braveliltoaster View Post
    Consider those as well but the one I'm referring to is the round gasket between the differential halves.

RC poster
    Tomorrow I will get up the initiative to tear the one of diffs out, I can do another full inspection. My daily grind is a vacuum chamber mechanic, so I'm pretty well seasoned in o-ring/ gasket sealing surfaces. If all else fails, I can bring home some florescent dye and leak check it.
    Last edited by Braveliltoaster; 01-12-2016 at 09:11 PM.

RC Champion
    Post 5 in this thread has some good diff sealing tips https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...lkheads-closed
    Dacaur

RC poster
    That was pretty much my thinking, sorry I tried searching before I posted.

RC Champion
    Yea I have that thread bookmarked because search doesnt bring it up very easily
    Dacaur

RC poster

Play to win....