RC Competitor

Unsure on whether i should run my slash in the snow or not

So ive had quite a few rc trucks, just never ran in these wet conditions. So last week i just bought a brand new slash 4x4 and im dyin to run it, but its really slushy and wet here. So is it worth it? Will it ruin my truck? And if i do decide to run it, does it have to be taken all apart or can i just shake the water out n leave it to dry?

Best would to use compressed air and a towel or wash cloth and lightly blow the truck off and wipe the inside and outside. avoid directing water into areas that contain bearings. Also a lot of guys wipe the truck down with a light coat of wd-40 to prevent the screws from rusting. If you stay off the salted roads and parking lots you should be fine
    Slash 4X4 bunch of upgrades handful of shiny parts

RC Competitor
    Ok cool, so i dont need to tear the truck apart, maybe just wheels, gear cover? And would a blow dryer work in place of an air compressor?

RC poster
    After I run in snow / water I pay down with a towel and put truck infront of a fan to fast dry . Works great never had a prob yet !

It is made to be ran in wet weather, have fun with it. Just realize that there will be after-run maintenance to do once everything dries out. After running my RCs in the snow I put them in a large tub, let the snow melt off, check everything over, and put oil on the bearings. But to be honest, I only oil the bearing every now and then, I hit them with a light machine oil before I install them, and this does a pretty good job at keeping them in good shape.

If you are running a RC that has a brushed motor, you really need to be on top of maintenance after running in wet, muddy, or sandy conditions.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks guys, great advice as usual. And i have a vxl system in it for now, i wanna get that castle sct for the 4x4 and put the vxl in the pede

Check out a dusty motors chassis cover, helps keep snow, dirt and mud out

http://www.dustymotors.com/shop/shroud-covers-by-model/

Can find them on ebay, only downside is it takes awhile to get them

RC Qualifier
    I run mine in the snow. Just bought a dusty cover as well to help with the maintenance. Took about 2 weeks for it to arrive. Here is what I do after a snow run:

• Use a brush or air hose to knock out and brush off all the snow I can
    • Spray entire truck with a very light coating of wd-40 so water is dissipated while it dries and I don't get surface rust on the bolt heads
    • Place upside down on a towel for the rest of the snow to melt, drip off, dry off.
    • Use a rag to wipe down. There is still enough wd-40 left from the initial spray to leave it coated and protected.

RC Qualifier
    What's snow? Lol. Do it and video it!

RC poster
    I got a slash 4x4 a few weeks ago and have been running it almost exclusively on snow/slush and it has been great, I've just been wiping it off and patting it down with a towel then letting it dry upside down, have only noticed a bit of rust on one screw. I figure I will just get replacement bearings when better weather comes around.

One Question for you guys is do I need to run with a fan if I go with a 3S Lipo battery in cold weather/ snowy conditions ? I know the fans are not waterproof and it looks like a little bit of slush would jam it up anyways.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tfree2014 View Post
    Ok cool, so i dont need to tear the truck apart, maybe just wheels, gear cover? And would a blow dryer work in place of an air compressor?
    Recommend taking the wheels off and blowing them out with an air compressor as snow will build up inside - when they're on the truck you'll be aiming air at the wheel bearings and you don't want to do that. Use the air compressor to blow all the rest of it off and then I would take it indoors to finish drying. I have run both the Rustler and the Slash in snow with no issues. As others have noted, if they salt your street, I'd stay off of it.
    "Splash" ProLine Slash
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameronchapman View Post
    I got a slash 4x4 a few weeks ago and have been running it almost exclusively on snow/slush and it has been great, I've just been wiping it off and patting it down with a towel then letting it dry upside down, have only noticed a bit of rust on one screw. I figure I will just get replacement bearings when better weather comes around.

One Question for you guys is do I need to run with a fan if I go with a 3S Lipo battery in cold weather/ snowy conditions ? I know the fans are not waterproof and it looks like a little bit of slush would jam it up anyways.
    Many use a chassis cover for this reason. I've run the esc fan without an issue, but I have a BAJR body so there is not as much of a collection of snow (or dirt) in the chassis as with the SC truck bodies.
    "Splash" ProLine Slash
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Running in snow is tons of fun. After I snow bash, I put it upside down in the bath tub and let everything drip dry. Then (after it's dry) I look for extra friction to see if there are any bearings that are seized. First I check the motor mount bearing, then I pull the motor out just enough so that the pinion and spur no longer touch and roll the truck back and forth. If there is any resistance I search for and replace the bad bearing. You will want to have a complete set of bearings ready to go because water really does shorten the life span of those things.

Last edited by OSU Beaver 99; 01-14-2016 at 12:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    Awsome, so what would you recomend if i dont have access to air compressor?

RC Champion
    I don't have an air compressor either so I just let it dry upside down in the bathtub. I'd remove the gear cover while it dries to make sure that you're not trapping water in there. The motor mount bearing can be tough to remove if it seizes and blows up so you want to make sure that you keep an eye on it and replace it when it starts getting a little worn out.

RC Qualifier
    No air compressor? Go to walmart and buy air in a can, the stuff that you use to "dust" electronics, that's what I use...
    Lcg ultimate, mip's,castle SW8th 2200kv

RC Competitor
    Ok cool, would it ruin the truck to not blow it off once or twice?

RC Champion
    Ok cool, would it ruin the truck to not blow it off once or twice?
    Will it ruin the truck? No way!
    Does blowing it off help prolong the life of bearings? I'm sure it does

X2 ^ nothing mentioned is required. Just saves some money and headache and ensures a better operating experience . I think its called...........ummmmmm, whats that phrase im looking for.............. Oh yeah preventative maintenance. Lol

RC Qualifier
    Deleted...duplicate post
    Last edited by explorerlyon; 01-14-2016 at 05:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Awsome, so what would you recomend if i dont have access to air compressor?
    A cheap 2" paint brush. Use the handle tip to pick out snow, then brush off as much snow as you can. An old tooth brush also helps. I have also used the air can from WalMart but it didn't have a lot of force to really blow things out.

RC Competitor
    So say some of my hardware gets rusty, will it stain the surrounding plastics or does it wash off

Rust will stain anything, its best to not let it rust at all

RC poster
    Just run it, dry it off, oil it, have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Running my truck in the snow is a blast, but I don't really think it's worth it with all the cleaning you have to do afterwards. I always take the front and rear end off to make sure no rust will build up

RC poster
    Living in Norway means driving in snow regularly and as long as you dry it afterwards and oil it up your OK. Dusty cover helps . I never had any problems driving in snow.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordbronco1995 View Post
    Check out a dusty motors chassis cover, helps keep snow, dirt and mud out

http://www.dustymotors.com/shop/shroud-covers-by-model/

Can find them on ebay, only downside is it takes awhile to get them

Another option which im really happy with as its also great at dissipating heat and doesnt take forever to get is the outerwears shroud...makes cleanup much easier as i run on a wet and loose clay track (which also adds tons of weight to the chassis after only a few runs once the clay gets packed in) and even though i dished out $40+ for the thing it was worth it all over ...of course i just found it for $30 though ugh! Keeps 95% of water out of the chassis and clay mud has nowhere to stick.

http://www.largescalerc.com/Outerwea...sSlash4x4.aspx

I have a chassis cover from The Toyz.com. Very similar to the Outerwears and Dusty covers...unfortunately a quick search shows they're out of stock. Still another option for those looking.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Running in the snow is the best if its not powdery. When done I just flip mine upside down, let it drip dry, take a leaf blower to it, q-tip with wd-40. Here's a couple short videos of me this past weekend bashing.

http://vid1104.photobucket.com/album...psbrklj0ao.mp4

http://vid1104.photobucket.com/album...psia9wjln1.mp4

This is the stuff I used on my R/C crawler rigs.Take the ESC and servo apart and put several coats on the circuit boards.Let it dry real good over night.
    http://www.alliedelec.com/images/pro...l/70125579.jpg

RC Racer

Go for it

Living in WI you either bash in the snow or look at your truck on a shelf for 4-5 months/year. Dry it off and put some wd-40 on the metal stuff, it'll be fine. I've had my truck a year so this is the 2nd winter, I just replaced the rear bearings last week and only because I was in there...there was really nothing wrong with them.....they replaced the bushings in my Rustler. Have fun!! Snow bashing is a blast! This was last weekend. Can you say drifting!!

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    where are the bearings that I should put oil on??? Slash is my first rc car I want to maintain it well. can anyone help please? any other tips to maintain the car?

Quote Originally Posted by lilneowhat13 View Post
    where are the bearings that I should put oil on??? Slash is my first rc car I want to maintain it well. can anyone help please? any other tips to maintain the car?
    Go here, scroll down to the exploded views...you'll see where every bearing in the truck is:

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tsm?t=support
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Family View Post
    Running my truck in the snow is a blast, but I don't really think it's worth it with all the cleaning you have to do afterwards. I always take the front and rear end off to make sure no rust will build up
    I think it is worth it. I clean mine and my kids' cars so 3-4 vehicles every time and I do a thorough job. We still run at least once a day if we can. The snow is so much fun and I know we will miss it in the summer. I am trying to teach them to do their own work but they are just not capable yet.

RC Racer
    I run mine all winter. This video was shot in -35 Celsius! sure i broke a couple plastic drive shafts, but i dont mind paying the "fun tax" every now and then!

https://youtu.be/F4_gDhGJ2tM
    Teton-The Mini Monstrosity
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

I see the mud flaps really keep from kicking snow up all over the place.............
    If it cant be broke, I'll break it.

Just got back a little while ago:

and after a few minutes with the compressor...it's definitely worth it...lots of fun!!

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    I ran mine one time last year, it was -16, the tires were so cold they would stick to my glove when I was done. I ran an entire 4s 6500 mah pack that day, motor never broke 100 degrees!
    Lcg ultimate, mip's,castle SW8th 2200kv

RC Racer
    I usually run the 2.2" wheels and tires in the summer. The 2.8' stick out way wider than the mud flaps so thats really no surprise, but i appreciate the input.
    Teton-The Mini Monstrosity
    Slash-Project "SR-71"