Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Stripped ring gear made me realize I need a Center diff?!?!?

I tore a few teeth off my rear ring gear and some on the pinion gear of the tranny today messing around in the grass hitting some jumps and landing on power. I was thinking when I was taking it apart that the truck could really use a center diff to make it less wheelie prone, have more steering and be easier on driveline parts.. I decided to completely rip it to bare bones as I kept finding more a more cruddy bearings filled with water and dirt (bearing seals must not be working to great) and doing so I realized the a diff from the rear fits right in place of the plastic lower main gear, all we need is a straight cut gear to bolt to the diff instead of a heli cut gear. Any one know when or if this is happening ? I assume traxxas did this on purpose so we can buy a center diff kit later when it's available???

RC Qualifier
    You may be onto something. Very interesting finding.

RC Qualifier

Oh she fits lol it's gonna take a special bearing to, the o.d is different but that's no big deal, drive shaft splines even slip right in. Hopefully they release a diff soon, the power wheelies are only so fun for so many never ending cart wheels when they go so so bad lol

Only bout .10thou different in length, so pretty much same length
    Last edited by Double G; 01-16-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure that's no coincidence. They're the same size for a reason. Good Find. Just need to find a 51t mod 1 spur to modify and fit onto the diff. I guess you could use the stock output gear.
    Last edited by bigtim1985; 01-16-2016 at 01:05 AM.

That is one of my biggest wants right now for this truck. I hate the way it wheelies onto its top or the rear bumper digs into the ground and it flips forward.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

terrific find. i want a center diff for this truck. it would really let us put the power down. wheelies are such a waste of forward acceleration.

I'm in the process of making a wheelie bar. That will take care of the problem your having, plus what I know I will have. When I make it, if anyone is interested, I'll post it. So far, it's looking like I can do this by modifying RPM and Traxxax parts.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    That is one of my biggest wants right now for this truck. I hate the way it wheelies onto its top or the rear bumper digs into the ground and it flips forward.
    Yea the wheelies are cool for about 2 Minutes, after that they drive me crazy, can't hammer on it when you want to or when you get on the brakes hard it Endo's over. Plus the back of my body is falling off from catching the grass lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    I'm sure that's no coincidence. They're the same size for a reason. Good Find. Just need to find a 51t mod 1 spur to modify and fit onto the diff. I guess you could use the stock output gear.
    Oh I'm sure it's not either, even the case is moulded the shape of a diff.
    You would need to machine on from scratch, it would need a special center hub for the output drive cup and bearing. I'm sure sneaky traxxas has the parts sitting around some were, they probably have all kinds of hop ups I'd imagine they will drop on us soon lol

Quote Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
    Yea the wheelies are cool for about 2 Minutes, after that they drive me crazy, can't hammer on it when you want to or when you get on the brakes hard it Endo's over. Plus the back of my body is falling off from catching the grass lol
    I know this isn't the fix most people would want to do but i eliminated the endo's by putting a spektrum rx in mine and reducing the breaking to 65%. Doesn't stop immediately but it also doesnt flip forward on hard breaking.

RC Qualifier
    I'm with ya on that, I didn even try the stock radio, hooked the M11X right up. My braking is turned down to 60% but still when your haulin the mail and the rear end gets light over whoops or bumps while your on the brakes it still wants to Endo with that super high center of gravity it has, Either way turning the brakes down did help but still not perfect

RC Competitor
    Yup I tossed a mt-4s and receiver in mine and turned the breaking down and the stearing ranges up to 130% she turns quicker and more to either side now as well.
    xmaxx, Tmaxx x2, Emaxx, slash 4wd x2, slash 2wd.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I'm in the process of making a wheelie bar. That will take care of the problem your having, plus what I know I will have. When I make it, if anyone is interested, I'll post it. So far, it's looking like I can do this by modifying RPM and Traxxax parts.
    I'd love to see what you come up with. However I can't steer if i'm standing on a wheelie bar under full throttle.

RC Enthusiast

Tuning Shocks, Springs, Gearing and ESC to control wheelies

I wonder if messing around with shock oil weights and getting a better set of springs (whenever they come out on the aftermarket) will help in the balance of he vehicle under heavy acceleration and braking along with tuning things within the ESC as some have indicated they have done. It worked for my Slash 4x4 and stopped a lot of the wheelie issues that I was experiencing under acceleration and braking for that vehicle. These changes improved the steering and grip of the vehicle all around. I am just thinking messing around with mechanical grip, gearing, along with electronic setup and tuning will improve things. It takes some time to test out ideas and experimenting with them. It seems the startup torque is very good on this vehicle and needs to be controlled a bit. You know you can get a dragster to spin the wheels down the whole length of the strip if you want too, but that doesn't help you win races. All dragsters have plenty of motor and torque, it is a matter of tuning it to the track. I think it is the same for this vehicle.

I wouldn't know, I am still waiting for my XMAXX to arrive. However, I do have a growing stock pile of parts sitting in my parts storage tool box that I have been ordering in advance... LOL. Better to be prepared than sorry. It's a hobby and expensive one, I just don't tell my wife about it, but will say it is cheaper than Drag Racing, Bass Fishing and Golf!
    Last edited by MeLikeBash; 01-17-2016 at 08:46 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MeLikeBash View Post
    I wonder if messing around with shock oil weights and getting a better set of springs (whenever they come out on the aftermarket) will help in the balance of he vehicle under heavy acceleration and braking along with tuning things within the ESC as some have indicated they have done. It worked for my Slash 4x4 and stopped a lot of the wheelie issues that I was experiencing under acceleration and braking for that vehicle. These changes improved the steering and grip of the vehicle all around. I am just thinking messing around with mechanical grip, gearing, along with electronic setup and tuning will improve things. It takes some time to test out ideas and experimenting with them. It seems the startup torque is very good on this vehicle and needs to be controlled a bit. You know you can get a dragster to spin the wheels down the whole length of the strip if you want too, but that doesn't help you win races. All dragsters have plenty of motor and torque, it is a matter of tuning it to the track. I think it is the same for this vehicle.

I wouldn't know, I am still waiting for my XMAXX to arrive. However, I do have a growing stock pile of parts sitting in my parts storage tool box that I have been ordering in advance... LOL. Better to be prepared than sorry. It's a hobby and expensive one, I just don't tell my wife about it, but will say it is cheaper than Drag Racing, Bass Fishing and Golf!

Yea I'm addicted to RC,motocross and drag racing so I got it in a bad way lol. And yes the cost of my whole XMAXX operation was still cheaper then just a set of Pistons for my twin turbo 540! So I feal like I'm doin good haha. It was so nice to fill a shopping cart up with parts and it only be $200, usually when I fill a shopping cart up with race car parts it's no less then $2000!

A center diff will fix any and all traction and wheelie issues, unfortunately we don't have tour we management systems or traction control for our RC cars, if you run a castle ESC you can tinker with start timing and and timing advance but still once the truck is up and rolling it just pours the power on no matter what. On 4s it's probably fine, but on 8s it gets wild fast

RC Competitor
    I've broken 3 rear ring gears, 2 rear pinions... 1 front ring gear and 1 front pinion already.

RC Qualifier
    Correct me if I am wrong, but If you want to run the truck and not have it wheelie why don't you just adjust the slipper clutch so it slips on full throttle input? I understand a center diff would be ideal, but the traxxas slipper seems like a fairly well designed unit if you actually want it to slip under certain conditions. I have mine set tight where it will only slip if I accidentally land on throttle to help save the drive train, but I like the occasional wheelie.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I tore a few teeth off my rear ring gear and some on the pinion gear of the tranny today messing around in the grass hitting some jumps and landing on power. I was thinking when I was taking it apart that the truck could really use a center diff to make it less wheelie prone, have more steering and be easier on driveline parts.. I decided to completely rip it to bare bones as I kept finding more a more cruddy bearings filled with water and dirt (bearing seals must not be working to great) and doing so I realized the a diff from the rear fits right in place of the plastic lower main gear, all we need is a straight cut gear to bolt to the diff instead of a heli cut gear. Any one know when or if this is happening ? I assume traxxas did this on purpose so we can buy a center diff kit later when it's available???
    To combat that bearing problem I pop the seals, even on new bearings, and pack them with grease. It creates a bit more drag than normal in the beginning, because stock the bearings have a tiny dab of grease and that's it. But in the long run they last much longer if you tend to get them wet.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Correct me if I am wrong, but If you want to run the truck and not have it wheelie why don't you just adjust the slipper clutch so it slips on full throttle input? I understand a center diff would be ideal, but the traxxas slipper seems like a fairly well designed unit if you actually want it to slip under certain conditions. I have mine set tight where it will only slip if I accidentally land on throttle to help save the drive train, but I like the occasional wheelie.

If you let it loose enough to slip to not wheelie you will melt it down, it's designed to slip under conditions like landing while full throttle or any situation that puts a ton of load on the main gear. Not to combat wheelies in all conditions

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    To combat that bearing problem I pop the seals, even on new bearings, and pack them with grease. It creates a bit more drag than normal in the beginning, because stock the bearings have a tiny dab of grease and that's it. But in the long run they last much longer if you tend to get them wet.
    That's what I was doing when I discovered the possibility of a center diff, cleaned every single bearing out with brake clean and repacked em with BelRay water proof grease. Sucks you can get it to wet, Hosing it off is the easiest way to clean it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    That's what I was doing when I discovered the possibility of a center diff, cleaned every single bearing out with brake clean and repacked em with BelRay water proof grease. Sucks you can get it to wet, Hosing it off is the easiest way to clean it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxximum View Post
    I've broken 3 rear ring gears, 2 rear pinions... 1 front ring gear and 1 front pinion already.
    On 6s or 8s?

RC Qualifier
    I disagree. I don't know why traxxas didn't put it in the x-maxx manual, but here is a quote out of the e-maxx manual which has a very similar slipper setup:

2. Drive normally. The slipper clutch should slip momentarily
    when accelerating aggressively on high-traction surfaces (you
    will hear a whirring sound when the slipper clutch allows the spur
    gear to slip).
    3. If excessive slippage is noticed (slipping that lasts for more
    than 3 seconds under hard acceleration), or the slipper clutch
    slips anytime the throttle is applied at any lever, stop driving
    immediately

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Good deal. They will last much better after that. I built a telluride for water play by greasing all the bearings, creating shields at the diff outputs and inputs with squares of foam soaked in grease (same thing at the motor shaft), and keeping things coated in Moo Slick. It has literally been swimming at least give separate occasions, and it is only now time to tear down and clean and relube.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    I disagree. I don't know why traxxas didn't put it in the x-maxx manual, but here is a quote out of the e-maxx manual which has a very similar slipper setup:

2. Drive normally. The slipper clutch should slip momentarily
    when accelerating aggressively on high-traction surfaces (you
    will hear a whirring sound when the slipper clutch allows the spur
    gear to slip).
    3. If excessive slippage is noticed (slipping that lasts for more
    than 3 seconds under hard acceleration), or the slipper clutch
    slips anytime the throttle is applied at any lever, stop driving
    immediately
    Even when we set 1/10th scale slippers on our race cars they still pull wheelies when the slippers set perfect. Hold both wheels still and pin the gas on the bench, it should pull the front wheels 3" off the bench.

Either way, set your slipper loose enuff on your XMAXX to not wheelie up and let us know how long till it burns down. There's just no way you can set it loose enough to slip constantly and not get hot. Even "3" states slipping longer the 3 seconds do not drive. It should be a quick bark of the slipper and that ain't stoping serious torque

RC Qualifier
    I'm missing your point. On a stock x-maxx with the slipper tight, if you give it 100% full throttle It's going to flip on it's lid or at the very least pull a wheelie resulting in you having to let off of the throttle. If the same truck had a center diff I don't care what diff fluid you run, if you give it 100% full throttle its just going to diff out the front wheels causing you to either have the let off of the throttle or wait until the wheels catch up to each other. I agree with you that a slipper won't last long if all you do is give it full throttle every time you hit the trigger expecting the truck to do the work of your trigger finger. The solution in my opinion is throttle control.

there's a reason why 1/8th buggies and truggies run center diffs. it is the best way to apply power for maximum acceleration. you are right that when you hammer the throttle, some of the power is transferred to the front wheels, but it doesn't 'diff out', you're not sending all the power to the front. you certainly wouldn't let off, you can stay on full throttle. center diff vehicles have terrific on power steering because the front 'pulls' the vehicle around corners. only way to really see the difference is to run the same vehicle with and without a center diff and feel the difference, they are totally different in the way they apply power.

RC Qualifier
    I understand that on a race track a center diff is the way to go, but.........this is a huge monster truck. To each their own.

RC Qualifier
    You run just thick enough oil, probably 100k in this tank, to keep the front tires skimming but thick enough to apply the power to all 4, like a symmetrical all wheel drive. I'm not pushin a center diff on anyone. I know for my style of driving and being more of a race oriented type I preferred to wheel it hard through turns and over jumps, huge wheel standers are sweet but after watching it cart wheel 100 times I was over it lol

We're in NJ are you big time? I ride a lot of Moto in South jersey in the pine barrens and back in a few of those tracks back in there, my buddy lives in Berlin. I think I'm gonna go out there with the XMAXX and hit some of the sand pits here over the winter

RC Qualifier
    I'm at the other end of NJ, right by NYC. It's tough finding good bash spots around here. A little easier in the winter as all of the parks are empty due to the cold.

RC Qualifier
    Oh yea that's on the other side of jersey, there's some amazing spots in south jersey, see how far you are from Berlin, I got a spot to park at a friends house who lives right at the pine barrens

RC Qualifier
    I'm about 2 hours north otherwise I'd love to come down and see whose X-maXX breaks first.

RC Racer
    Hey big time check your pm's

RC Qualifier
    I'm about 2 hours north otherwise I'd love to come down and see whose X-maXX breaks first.
    .....or have a wheelie contest...haha

RC Qualifier
    I have my slipper dialed to the wheelie master setting. Surprisingly it handles exactly like a big RC monster truck should

RC Enthusiast
    Purchased some of this grease based on this post, so thanks! No I just need to learn where the bearings are and how to take it apart. New to maintaining. I used to just buy them, run them, break them and sell them.

RC Qualifier
    Hahah buy/break/pull hair out/sell, that sounds about right. I don't want that to be the case with this truck so I'm gonna give it some time to get it all worked out.
    the bellray grease works really well, I use it on all my bikes, and after a long year of enduros,hair scrambles, mud and power washing the bearings are still in amazing shape. Hopefully it works on the truck to

RC Champion
    I'm missing your point. On a stock x-maxx with the slipper tight, if you give it 100% full throttle It's going to flip on it's lid or at the very least pull a wheelie resulting in you having to let off of the throttle. If the same truck had a center diff I don't care what diff fluid you run, if you give it 100% full throttle its just going to diff out the front wheels causing you to either have the let off of the throttle or wait until the wheels catch up to each other. I agree with you that a slipper won't last long if all you do is give it full throttle every time you hit the trigger expecting the truck to do the work of your trigger finger. The solution in my opinion is throttle control.
    Exactly. This thing is a basher. If you are trying to perfect traction for racing applications then you have the wrong truck IMO. The slippers are tunable for a reason. And so is the transmitter/ESC. Just gotta play with it.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    there's a reason why 1/8th buggies and truggies run center diffs. it is the best way to apply power for maximum acceleration. you are right that when you hammer the throttle, some of the power is transferred to the front wheels, but it doesn't 'diff out', you're not sending all the power to the front. you certainly wouldn't let off, you can stay on full throttle. center diff vehicles have terrific on power steering because the front 'pulls' the vehicle around corners. only way to really see the difference is to run the same vehicle with and without a center diff and feel the difference, they are totally different in the way they apply power.
    But this is not a buggie and it's application and size are very different. Did the E-Revo come with a center diff? But we still survived...
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

I just got off the phone with Traxxas support about an issue I'm having and at the end I told him about this thread and people wanting a center differential. He said he hasn't heard of any plans for a center diff but will bring it up at the next meeting...whatever that means lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast