RC poster

Converting Traxxas connector to XT60?

Is it possible to remove the traxxas connector from the battery/esc and switch to an XT60 connector? I can do that type of soldering work very easily. But, would it be safe to use? I have a stock 8.4v 3000mah NiMH battery but find it annoying to leave my (non-rc) car running to charge it. Already have a fancy battery charger/balance for my other lipos/hobby batteries and don't want to pay another $50 just for a traxxas specific one. Thoughts?

RC Racer
    Yes,it is very common for people to change connectors.

RC poster
    That's good to hear. Thanks

RC Champion
    If all your RC are using XT60, yes just switch to that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    If all your RC are using XT60, yes just switch to that.
    That's what I run on everything, great connector and yes any can be soldered on it's an easy job.
    Vaterra Team Driver
    Meow

RC poster
    Can someone please share pic of your XT-60 setup on the RC car? I'm confused about Traxxas own connector that has extra balance lead within the actual plug? Not sure what the extra small lead is doing which a XT-60 type connector will not have?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHavoc View Post
    Can someone please share pic of your XT-60 setup on the RC car? I'm confused about Traxxas own connector that has extra balance lead within the actual plug? Not sure what the extra small lead is doing which a XT-60 type connector will not have?
    Depending on the traxxas pack, the small lead is the balance wire. On a 3S pack, there would be 2 small leads and 4S, 3 small leads. The two main power wires a 2 balance "leads". So, to replace the end on those packs, you would have to make jumpers from the main leads to the proper balance plug leads.

You can kind of see how the traxxas plug is wired here with a 3S pack:

For a 2S, you would have to make a connector similar to this and the extra single wire would go to the middle pin in the connector:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 07-05-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

To do a 3S, you would need a voltmeter to make sure your putting the correct small wire in the correct pin of the balance plug. From ground to positive, the voltage should increase in increments of 1 cell's voltage.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    New to the sport here:

I seem to be a little confused. (And, of course, I am 6 months old in the sport and am already seeing the need to upgrade my battery charger; which presents a problem (for me) when looking at the Trassas battery connector. (Four of my five batteries have the Traxxas ID connector.))

The text of the “07-05-2018, @ 10:14” says that a 3s pack has two small leads (It is so on my Traxxas 3s, 5000 battery).

Then the first diagram above “how a 3s LiPo is wired” shows 4 wires on the balance plug.

Then the next picture shows a Traxxas 3s (like mine) with two balance leads (just like mine).

Then in the third picture (1,2,3) a 2s is shown; and using three wires (my 2s Traxxas batteries only have one wire).

Might anybody be able to help me out?

RC poster
    Oh, yea; if I change to the XT-60 connectors, how do I charge using my Traxxas Charger?

Thanx

I would first, start my own thread. Forum etiquette
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Thanx for the direction. My bad.