Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Can't find upgrades for diffs

I purchased a Teton recently (haven't received yet) and naturally I did some research to find the weak links in this car and see a lot of issues with differentials. However, I have so far not been able to find any of the recommended upgrades, everything lists as out of stock. Was the weak differential issue solved?

I see that traxxas offers a metal gear and pinion (right terminology?), but it seems like there are more pieces needed than that, so I don't really know if that is enough.

I don't intend to go brushless, at least for awhile, but I will be upgrading to a better brushed motor and want better durability than the stock diffs are reported to provide. do I have any other options?

RC Racer
    I don't see much for parts listed under the truck accessories so I will say try AsiaTees,as far as I know they carry a lot of upgrade parts.

No one makes aftermarket diff for this rc sadly
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC poster
    I checked asiatees, nothing. I was wondering if the solid spool axle would help or hinder durability.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-fkmr1

if it is strong enough, it might transfer the weakness to different part that is available to upgrade.

RC poster
    More durable than the stock diff, but still prone to stripping and of course you suffer from a locked diff. It won’t solve the durability problems with brushless

RC poster
    Will the stock diffs break when using the stock motor? Now I drive it in training mode, plan to go in 100% mode soon.

RC poster

RC Competitor
    I was looking for the metal gears for the rc18 diff (aluminum or steel) and I found them on a website called miraclehobby dot net.. Not sure if I trust the website enough to actually order through them though..

I just sent an email off to GPM who is the manufacturer of these parts and I'm gunna see if i can get them to produce this gear again possibly.

RC Qualifier
    If you get the metal ring and pinion gears then shim your diffs they are pretty sturdy. I have run my sst with this combo hard on our local 1/18 track and my only problem was a blown output when I bent a axle shaft.
    Bashing Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

RC Competitor
    Yea I hope I can get my hands on some.. I don't think GPM is wiling to make them again, I just sent an email to a custom gear making company and I'm going to see what the cost is, their website suggested it wouldn't be too much. Just scored some integy steel rc18t outdrives on eBay, pretty stoaked on the outdrives considering I just broke one of my stock front outdrives yesterday.

RC Competitor
    Probably emailed at least 15 gear making companies and 3D printing companies. So far the cheapest I've gotten is 350 for 1x gear haha. Most expensive was 2000$ for one gear. still a bit out of my price range. Hmm....

RC Competitor
    I found a brand of r/c cars's that uses the same ball diff gear as the rc18t and they have the gear in metal, in stock, and very inexpensive.

Just emailed them to find out the outside diameter of the gear, if its the same i will order one and let you guys know how it goes.

Lowest cost i could get for making the gear from scratch was 100$.

hopefully its ok that I've kind of taken over this thread, it seemed like the right place to post this information.

RC Competitor
    Ordered 2x of the diff gears from that company, they are called caster racing. Also out of a stroke of luck I found a red Gpm aluminum rc18t diff gear on eBay for 10$ so now I'll have a spare..

Looking for steel outdrives now, I have one set of integy outdrives.. All the other brands are pretty much discontinued except for hot racing titanium & yeah racing aluminum ones which I don't want since steel will hold up much better.

I found a set of outdrives that are super similar to the rc18t's if anyone can confirm that they are basically the same I might order one to test it out. Part # ZX5-05/HD brand is 3racing. I keep emailing all of these companies and I don't really get much response.

only concern is that it just looks like a bigger version of the rc18t's diff

Last edited by Topher415; 02-25-2016 at 04:19 PM.

RC Competitor
    I scored a set of MIP #1444 steel outdrives a few days ago on eBay. So now i have 2x sets of steel outdrives.

I just got these steel gears in the mail and I'm 99.9% sure they are going to work. Same exact size, shape, and gear count..

These are the caster racing gears from china, the website was kinda sketch but i figured since they take paypal if anything were to happen then paypal would reimburse me. You can find these on eBay too but it was way more $$ and the item description was saying it might take a long time to ship.

RC poster
    How much did u pay for it?
    I found this part on local store..... I'll see in few days

BTW they have complete diff (F18PT-025) for 23$ too
    Last edited by gersa; 03-04-2016 at 04:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I ordered the Kyosho ZX-5 ball diff tube to see if it will fit.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gersa View Post
    How much did u pay for it?
    I found this part on local store..... I'll see in few days

BTW they have complete diff (F18PT-025) for 23$ too
    I paid 20$ for 2x sets shipped.

I saw that but I think the complete diff comes with plastic gears not metal. Also the outdrives are plastic

RC poster
    Look at this
    https://translate.google.cz/translat...-m-p-z%2F75731

It seems as metal gears. And of course, outdrives are plastic

RC Competitor
    Look at this

Ah your right

RC Qualifier
    Look at this

Can you use this but swap the outdrives for metal ones?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkdrgn808 View Post
    Can you use this but swap the outdrives for metal ones?
    you could do that but at that point why not just buy the rc18t rebuild kit + metal gear from caster racing + metal outdrives?

As far as i know caster racing doesn't make the outdrives in metal, only plastic.

https://projectrcblog.wordpress.com/...-differential/

shows you how to build the diff step by step, i didn't use all the different type of grease he used.
    Last edited by Topher415; 03-07-2016 at 12:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I can't find any type of metal outdrives, all out of stock. I can't finish the set and my truck will be broken until then.

RC Competitor
    I can't find any type of metal outdrives, all out of stock. I can't finish the set and my truck will be broken until then.
    If any pop up on eBay ill message you to let you know. You could always get the hot racing titanium ones or the yeah racing aluminum ones.. Even the rc18t diff kit with the plastic outdrives is way better than the stock one for temporary (only like 7$ for the kit)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher415 View Post
    If any pop up on eBay ill message you to let you know. You could always get the hot racing titanium ones or the yeah racing aluminum ones.. Even the rc18t diff kit with the plastic outdrives is way better than the stock one for temporary (only like 7$ for the kit)
    I can't find those in stock either. My Google skills suck. I'll try look again.

RC Competitor
    I can't find those in stock either. My Google skills suck. I'll try look again.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJHM9&P=7

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I meant the hot racing titanium or the yeah racing aluminum ones if I can't find the steel ones.

RC poster
    What about Yeah Racing difftubes (#A18T-023BU)?

RC Competitor
    @gersa yes thats the right part#, here is the yeah racing aluminum ones:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racing-...oRK3XCEQo96yiA

Better than standard nylon plastic these are delrin:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSOCIATED-R...cAAOSwuAVWzMCl

here are the hot racing ones i guess they are not in stock anymore but it looks like they will get more:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTFA

The hot racing ones seem to pop up on eBay pretty often.

RC Qualifier
    Wow my searching really sucks. I checked Ebay too and couldn't find anything. Thanks a lot for your help! I bought everything just in case I need a part later. I'm pretty sure when it all comes in I'll be confused which parts to use. lol.

RC poster
    Yes, but they are very expensive (I mean Hot Racing)

RC Competitor
    Yes, but they are very expensive (I mean Hot Racing)
    I know they seem a little overpriced, 60$ for 2x sets of outdrives.. thats half the cost of the r/c itself.

Wow my searching really sucks. I checked Ebay too and couldn't find anything. Thanks a lot for your help! I bought everything just in case I need a part later. I'm pretty sure when it all comes in I'll be confused which parts to use. lol.
    no problem bro, haha i know what you mean its a little overwhelming at first with everything that you need. Once you have it all in front of you though its pretty simple, especially with that guide on how to assemble the diff. There is also a youtube video of the assembly of the rc18t diff.

Be very careful with the ball bearings, they are extremely easy to loose.

Just got my traxxas 2s lipo+VXL esc+brushless motor in the mail

RC Qualifier
    I ordered the Kyosho ZX-5 ball diff tube to see if it will fit.
    It looks the same but it's too big. Don't buy.

RC Qualifier
    All my parts came in. Where did you get the tiny nut that goes inside the diff to lock it down? Only the MIP came with the nut but I only got one of them and the others are the aluminum blue ones which don't have.

RC Competitor
    My integy & mip outdrives both came with nuts, maybe one of the outdrives has threads and you don't need a nut?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah Racing diff didn't come with nuts. It's not threaded either and I can see where the nut is supposed to be inset. I'll check my LHS if they got unless you know what size is the nut?

RC Competitor
    No clue, see if the mip one works/fits and if it does take it as an example.

RC Qualifier
    OK, the bolt that comes with the Team Associated diff kit is 2-56. I bought some 2-56 nuts but it's bigger than the Yeah Racing inset. Good thing is the bolt is long enough so it still grabs the nut but you have to hold it in place while you tighten with an eye glasses flat head screwdriver. Just squeeze the tip of the screwdriver at the edge of the nut so it stops spinning. I used blue loctite too. I believe the correct nut size is 2mm but I couldn't find a 2mm bolt long enough and it would probably be too skinny.

RC Qualifier
    This is what it looks assembled. I also have the Integy ones on backorder.

One thing I didn't mention was to not use the pinion from the Caster gears. Use the stock ones.
    Last edited by Blkdrgn808; 03-21-2016 at 08:48 PM.

This is what it looks assembled. I also have the Integy ones on backorder.

Can you tell me what you used to build the diff
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I just copied it from the other thread. I just scored the Hot Racing titanium outdrive on Ebay.

All credit goes to Tofer415 and another forum. For after market diffs you can go with steel, titanium, and aluminum. So far I could only find the steel and aluminum.

Each individual diff will need these and you need two of each to complete the front and back.

Team Associated 21115 18T Diff rebuild kit
    http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000BO9NYO

Caster F18PT-024 ring and pinion gears.
    Ebay

Yeah Racing 18T-023 ball diff tubes. (aluminum)
    Ebay

or

Integy diff outdrives. (steel)
    https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...w#.VvCYafkrLuo

or

MIP 1444 diff outdrives. (steel)
    Ebay

Optional
    Carbide RC18T diff balls
    Ebay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast