Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

Fpv install on aton

Just wanted to post for anyone who is interested.
    https://youtu.be/FzW-Mfq-B2Y
    Fly it like you stole it!

RC Qualifier
    Surprised you didn't make a small box to put most of the equipment underneath instead on top. Attach it to the camera mount since its non vibrating. Cut down the legs like mine posted in another thread. Can you list the cost of each part and where you got them from? What kind of distance are you getting with the video? Any stuttering with the video? Would be cool if you could show a video of the goggles in action to show us how it looks. Am very interested in this. You did an awesome job. Thanks for sharing.

RC Qualifier
    Very well done! I may try that on mine when I get it in a few days.

RC poster
    My first try I did have all of the electronics under the bottom. The issue was that the video from the cmos camera is instant but not as good of quality as the go pro. So I still run the go pro for my videos. Second was that I had to run the legs and when im out by myself I dont run the legs because of weight. But I am going to cut my legs down like you did because my go pro session is small. Cutting the legs was a good idea and looks good.

RC poster
    Previous post was me, Im at work and my buddy was log in on my computer.

RC Qualifier
    How is the Phantom3 and 3DR able to accomplish descent video quality with FPV? Haven't seen theres in action but reading posts about there system sounds like its doing real good. P3 sells there own camera setup. As far as I am concerned, 720p will work for me, 1080p would be better.

RC Qualifier

RC poster
    great job! enjoyed the video...

RC Racer
    Bearcat that system would definitely work.

RC Qualifier
    So far thats seems the best option. Will keep looking though. Would hate to invest in this and traxxas comes out with a better one.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Reavesbj View Post
    Bearcat that system would definitely work.
    Any way you could look over the parts? Don't quite understand some of the hookups/connections. Am really leaning toward this as I am getting antsy to fly by watching through a screen.

RC Racer

RC Racer
    The black plug goes to go pro. The red plug is jst , will attach to Aton port for powering transmitter. White plug goes to transmitter video input. You could install this set up in 15 mins.

RC Racer
    Don't wait man go ahead and do it who now's when traxxas will do it. Cool kids get it first.

RC Qualifier
    Heck, I have to order new landing gear as I chopped off the legs for the POS mobius camera that didn't work out. Plus I will have to order the 2 axis gimbal. This hobby is going to bankrupt me!
    Do I attach the video transmitter to the aton body?

RC poster
    Hello All,

I am just posting a few pics of my FPV mod to my Aton. I've added a MinimOSD board as well so now my FPV feed is overlaid with all of the Mavlink telemetry data. Just had to unplug the Bluetooth module and plug in the MinimOSD. The whole setup is powered from the red JST plug that normally hangs out the bottom. It provides access to the battery voltage and I've relocated it to be accessible under the canopy to supply power to my VTX and camera. I cut holes in the canopy for the camera and antenna. The camera is just hot glued in its hole and angled upwards with the canopy which will provide a nice level view of the horizon in forward flight. The props do not come into view of the camera. This camera does not record but I can record the video on the DVR in my Dom V2's.

RC Racer
    Glad to see others putting the info to use. Looks good.
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi can you provide a breakdown of the equipment that you installed and a video in flight would be great. Also curious about your Osd and the info that it provides, screen shot would be great. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Looks great. A video in flight would be great to see.

Lookin' good!

RC Racer
    Very sharp. I like it a lot.

RC Racer
    Started a thread flying with Fpv. Put video up if you guys are flying Fpv you should post there.

RC Racer
    Pilot150 do you have any issues with interference using onboard power?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Reavesbj View Post
    Pilot150 do you have any issues with interference using onboard power?
    No, I haven't experienced any video interference using the power from the main system, however I think the VTX I'm using has a power filter built in so that could be why. I will post an inflight video as soon as I get a chance, possibly tomorrow. This is the VTX I used. https://www.multirotorsuperstore.com...ansmitter.html

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Looks great. A video in flight would be great to see.
    This is all I have for now.

http://youtu.be/1oeYKxJO13E

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 150pilot View Post
    This is all I have for now.

http://youtu.be/1oeYKxJO13E
    Awesome. Thank you for posting. Cant wait to get flying as I watch a screen. Just for the heck of it, next time flying, could you hover next to you showing you with the screen your watching on? The helipal system is what I will be ordering next month unless traxxas comes out with something better. Was hoping there would be a USA distributor for the helipal but its in hong kong only. Do you find it harder to watch a screen to fly or easier?

RC Qualifier
    Hey would this screen work with an FPV setup?

Eachine LCD5802S 5802 5.8G 32CH 7 Inch Diversity Receiver Monitor with Build-in Receiver Battery
    https://bnc.lt/4Sug/GaH5hK7FFq

RC Racer
    Yes that would work.

RC Qualifier
    I have a basic Sony FPV camera and I guess that's all I need since the screen has a built in receiver. What else would I need for a good setup with minimal interference and Max gain?

RC Racer
    You are going to need a transmitter for the camera. lots of options. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161614356980

RC Qualifier
    Ok.

So far these are the parts I have in my toolbox. I need somebody with more knowledge than me to verify compatibility.

Boscam FPV 5.8G 200mW AV Wireless Transmitter TS351
    https://bnc.lt/4Sug/oueTa89KFq

Sony 700TVL 2.8mm Lens CCD FPV Camera 12V NTSC PAL
    https://bnc.lt/4Sug/L4mvB0gLFq

And then it should work with the LCD monitor I linked above, right? Ahould I also ditch the regular antenna and go with the polarized omnidirectional ones on both the transmitter and LED screen receiver?

RC Racer
    Yes everything you have will work with the LCD monitor. The polarized antenna is not necessary because the range of the Aton is less than the range of the standard antenna. You will loss reception with the drone before you lose video.

RC Qualifier
    What are the effective ranges for both types of antennae?

RC Racer
    500 meters and 700meters. The Aton range is 300 meters.

RC Qualifier
    Ok that's great! I'm going to order that screen... I can't afford a goggle solution.

RC Qualifier
    150Pilot, what FPV camera are you using? It looks like the one that I have is a bit bulky to be able to attach to the front of the ATON because the two body posts that retain the screws get in the way of the electrical board.

RC Racer
    With your fpv set up, are you forced to fly fpv? Or can you take the fpv off and on as you please? Any inference issues? Looks any crashes with the fpv set up yet? If so how's the fpv camera holding up mounted in that spot? Has any of the other equipment been damaged from a crash yet? I see you also extended your range with the range mod, still flying good? Sorry about so many questions, just eager to learn... Thanks in advanced for the help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfrx720 View Post
    With your fpv set up, are you forced to fly fpv? Or can you take the fpv off and on as you please? Any inference issues? Looks any crashes with the fpv set up yet? If so how's the fpv camera holding up mounted in that spot? Has any of the other equipment been damaged from a crash yet? I see you also extended your range with the range mod, still flying good? Sorry about so many questions, just eager to learn... Thanks in advanced for the help!
    No I can fly either way, don't have to remove anything. Half the time I fly with out it. Zero interference. One crash broke the main frame and two props, zero damage to Fpv system.the spot I have the camera works great. Extended range mod is awesome, if you do Fpv the range mod will be next. Have fun and try new things!

RC Racer
    thanks for the reply! and thanks for the inspiration.

RC Enthusiast
    Just wondering how your FPV is going - i'm thinking of doing it - just ordered a VTX and Camera, I have the antenna. Are you taking power of the JST? Or adding a separate battery? (I cant watch the video at work)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast