RC Competitor
    Making progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks!

Just waiting on the 5pin micro jst connectors to arrive so I can hookup the power, vtx, and camera... I rough wired everything and tested it before I cut the wires to length and the video is insanely clear!! Even with the motors at full power.

Once the final wiring is done I can program the OSD and start flying!!!

RC poster
    I've been trying to setup fpv on the Aton but can't get power to the vtx from the Jst connector. It's racking my brain cause I've tried 3 different vtx' with no luck. I even pulled the whole thing apart and did find where the wires to the Jst on the Aton would just pull out! Thought I had found the problem then but even after fixing it and getting it back together it still won't power a vtx. Is it possible it's killing power to the Jst when I plug in a vtx? Any helps appreciated. Thanks

RC Competitor
    Be sure to Vent the top of your canopy with some slots or holes, the vtx gets very hot when on, needs some sort of airflow or cooling....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by casper3oaks View Post
    I've been trying to setup fpv on the Aton but can't get power to the vtx from the Jst connector. It's racking my brain cause I've tried 3 different vtx' with no luck. I even pulled the whole thing apart and did find where the wires to the Jst on the Aton would just pull out! Thought I had found the problem then but even after fixing it and getting it back together it still won't power a vtx. Is it possible it's killing power to the Jst when I plug in a vtx? Any helps appreciated. Thanks
    Make sure your video transmitter can run on 5vdc otherwise you're going to have to use an external power source, also check to make sure you have the polarity correct with a volt meter.

I'm running my power straight off the mother board high current connectors so I'm getting 12vdc instead of 5 to my OSD and VDC.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MKSNIPER2017 View Post
    Make sure your video transmitter can run on 5vdc otherwise you're going to have to use an external power source, also check to make sure you have the polarity correct with a volt meter.

I'm running my power straight off the mother board high current connectors so I'm getting 12vdc instead of 5 to my OSD and VDC.

My VTX's minimum voltage is 7volts. That must be the issue. Looks like I'm going to come directly off the mother board as well then. Did you just solder to the battery tabs? Is that the high current connectors your referring to? Thanks for the info.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by casper3oaks View Post
    My VTX's minimum voltage is 7volts. That must be the issue. Looks like I'm going to come directly off the mother board as well then. Did you just solder to the battery tabs? Is that the high current connectors your referring to? Thanks for the info.
    Yes, I just soldered directly to the gold terminals coming off the ESC/MOTHER BOARD, it requires disassembly but it is very worth it, makes for a super clean build and no wires hanging off your quad. If you have any questions on disassembly don't hesitate to ask.

RC poster
    Thanks for the help! This is exactly what I'm gonna do. It'll be a week since I had to go offshore today but soon as it's
    done I'll post up some pics.

RC Competitor
    Nice! Can't wait

RC Competitor

RC poster
    I need some help. All my FPV components arrived today and I'm not 100% certain that my VTX is capable of being powered off the JST connector on the bottom of my Aton. It says "2s - 6s Lipo"

Here is a link to the VTX instruction manual that came in my Ares FPV System.
    http://ares-rc.com/Z-line/FPV/VTx/20...x%20Manual.pdf

I'm ready to give it all a test run but I didn't want to plug it in until I was certain it would not fry it.

My components:

Fatshark Dominator V3
    Fatshark FSV2442 RX
    Immersion RC Cloverleaf Antenna (RX)
    Ares Z-Line AZSZ 1002 FPV System (VTX/Camera)
    Ares Z-Line Clover Leaf Antenna (VTX)

If it won't run off the JST, will it run directly from the battery? I noticed one of the guys was powering his directly off the main board.
    Last edited by ThaKillerKlown; 04-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.

RC Competitor
    That setup will not even turn on with the JST connection on the Aton, you have 1 of 2 options

1. Run an external power source 3s minimum to power the VTX

2. Tap into the battery terminals of the Atons ESC board

RC poster
    So it will work tapping into the Aton where the main battery connections are? That's no problem.

RC Competitor
    Correct, your system requires 7.2VDC minimum and the JST connector only provides 5VDC

RC poster
    Thank you for helping me out. I'll pick up some JST connectors tomorrow and get it wired up.

RC Competitor
    No problem! Glad I could help

RC Competitor
    The red JST connector underneath the Aton delivers 12v/3s. I power my vtx from it as well as using it as vbat for my osd.

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, I also power my video transmitter and camera off the JST port, even measure the voltage coming off originally as was not sure and the average voltage is 12.1dc.
    Regards,
    Bill Randall
    Perth, Western Australia

RC Competitor
    Does anybody know how to program the minimim osd boards for MAVLINK? Mine keeps saying no gps, low stats etc... I'm about to just throw it in the trash and just run without an OSD

RC Competitor
    I use a micro minimosd board with this firmware: https://github.com/night-ghost/minimosd-extra.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pulquad View Post
    I use a micro minimosd board with this firmware: https://github.com/night-ghost/minimosd-extra.
    Do you have to unplugg the Bluetooth board as well?

RC Competitor
    Yes, I unplugged the bluetooth board. I think you can run it with the bluetooth board if you ONLY connect up rx to the osd. At least that worked when I wired in 3dr telemetry radio link instead of the bluetooth module. See this post: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-3DR-telemetry. If you replace all mentions of 3dr with bluetooth, i see no reason why it might work.

Important note is that you will only get telemetry sent to the OSD after you connect via bluetooth. You may split the rx across as many different devices as you like as they are just reading, but only one device can be connected to tx to send commands to the flight controller. When that device requests telemetry from the flight controller, the data will be sent on rx. The flight controller won't send telemetry until something requests it. So, if you connect just an OSD, the OSD will automatically request telemetry on tx on power-on. If you use a y-cable, e.g. OSD + radio/bluetooth, then when you first connect, not at power-on, telemetry will be sent. Oh, I'm also assuming that the bluetooth board will send a command that causes the flight controller to send telemetry. I guess there is a chance that it doesn't. It works with a 3dr radio because I have Mission Planner or Tower on the other end.

Hope that helps.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pulquad View Post
    Yes, I unplugged the bluetooth board. I think you can run it with the bluetooth board if you ONLY connect up rx to the osd. At least that worked when I wired in 3dr telemetry radio link instead of the bluetooth module. See this post: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-3DR-telemetry. If you replace all mentions of 3dr with bluetooth, i see no reason why it might work.

Important note is that you will only get telemetry sent to the OSD after you connect via bluetooth. You may split the rx across as many different devices as you like as they are just reading, but only one device can be connected to tx to send commands to the flight controller. When that device requests telemetry from the flight controller, the data will be sent on rx. The flight controller won't send telemetry until something requests it. So, if you connect just an OSD, the OSD will automatically request telemetry on tx on power-on. If you use a y-cable, e.g. OSD + radio/bluetooth, then when you first connect, not at power-on, telemetry will be sent. Oh, I'm also assuming that the bluetooth board will send a command that causes the flight controller to send telemetry. I guess there is a chance that it doesn't. It works with a 3dr radio because I have Mission Planner or Tower on the other end.

Hope that helps.

That would explain why my aton can't connect to the flight link app unless I unplugg the OSD because I have both TX/RX from the Bluetooth board plugged into the osd board

Guess I'll have to just trial and error it until it works, the only thing I can get it to do right now is say armed when I arm Aton but everything else doesn't work, I can see the telemetry data changing on the flight link app but it never changes on the osd, you figure the virtual horizon would move like it does in Mission planner

I'm using a Luminier Dlux OSD board

RC Competitor
    Hmm, so it maybe that bluetooth doesn't request all telemetry data, which would kind of make sense given what the app does.

RC Competitor
    Yeah the app displays pretty much everything, hopefully I can transfer that data yo the OSD

FINALLY!!!!

Last edited by Double G; 04-07-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

RC poster
    Well, I have relocated my FPV VTX and Spiro Antenna location twice and my Aton simply refuses to find GPS signal. ��

Had the VTX located on top of the main board with the antenna just in front of the GPS hoop. Now it's a few inches forward and mounted to the inside of the canopy and the antenna exits the side and angles towards the front.

Same results in both locations. I can power down the VTX and it find signal almost immediately. Plug VTX back in and GPS drops within a few seconds.

Should I try different channels on my VTX and Goggles?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaKillerKlown View Post
    Well, I have relocated my FPV VTX and Spiro Antenna location twice and my Aton simply refuses to find GPS signal. ��

Had the VTX located on top of the main board with the antenna just in front of the GPS hoop. Now it's a few inches forward and mounted to the inside of the canopy and the antenna exits the side and angles towards the front.

Same results in both locations. I can power down the VTX and it find signal almost immediately. Plug VTX back in and GPS drops within a few seconds.

Should I try different channels on my VTX and Goggles?

The only thing that should effect the GPS antenna is being inside or the TX not being powered on

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MKSNIPER2017 View Post
    The only thing that should effect the GPS antenna is being inside or the TX not being powered on

I always power TX first. Then plug in the Lipo on the Aton. I relocated the VTX below the quad and it all works but this is not how I invisioned having to mount it. ��

RC Competitor
    It could also be the VTX antenna, do you have a different antenna you can try?

RC poster
    I'm using Fatshark Dominator V3's with a Fatshark RX/Antennas as well as an Ares Line-Z FPV System, VTX, Cam, Antenannas and they are not interchangeable. I have a spare of each antennae though.

RC Competitor
    My system did the exact same thing when I had my OSD wired wrong so you have to be on the wrong channel

RC Competitor
    Fatshark only works on one band though. And I've tried every channel on that band and my GPS works as long as my Aton TX is powered up

RC poster
    The VTX in my Fatsharks does several bands. It's working great hanging off the bottom so I hate to change it.

RC Competitor
    You get good image quality with the antenna being upside down?

RC poster
    Finally got to finish setting up the PFV on the Aton. Worked out great but definitely need to setup an OSD to keep an eye on the voltage as at one point I lost video due to a voltage drop I'm guessing to the VTX. I'm guessing thats what it was since after I crashed it the video was fine lol! Things a blast! Thanks MKSNIPER for helping me get it going. Here's a few pics of the setup hopefully if I got this picture posting thing right. Also for the record I'm using a Foxeer camera, eachine 200mw vtx with an IBcrazy antenna.

RC Competitor
    No problem! Looks great! I need to post some pics of my setup now that i finally got my OSD programmed! The virtual horizon and direction to home is freak'n awesome!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    It might be time to get a VTX that runs on 7vdc so it doesn't cut out on you

http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-dlux-...n-display.html

http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-tx5g2...gtail-sma.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Yeah you're right. Thanks for the links. Both of those look like they'll do me good and the whip on that
    Vtx would've been nice to start with to run it out the back like you did. That's the way to go. Looks super clean!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast