Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

drivejumpfly's Traxxas Aton

I am finally in the Aton club I have not even opened the box yet, but I am pretty sure I am going to have a fun time with it. This is the first quadcopter that I will actually fly other than my Cheerson CX-10 quadcopters. I decided to go with the regular Aton and wait around for the 3 axis gimbal and FPV capabilities. Hopefully Traxxas will be kind to my wallet and wait awhile so I can get used to flying the Aton before those two items are available... In the meantime I will use the regular Traxxas 3S 5000 MAH batteries while I practice crashing the quadcopter. Hopefully Traxxas will continue to have a bunch of spare parts in stock. Anyways, now my X-Maxx has a personal video assistant:

On a side note, I like the fact that I can set the full retail Aton box on my X-Maxx and the X-Maxx simply says, "throw another one on me."

RC Qualifier
    ou seriously havent opened the box? how could you do that?
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Racer
    Not sure the regular Traxxas 3s 5k batteries will fit. The new 5000 battery is shorter.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    ou seriously havent opened the box? how could you do that?
    I just recently received the X-Maxx I ordered from Field's Hobby Center in Buffalo / Cheektowaga, NY, and in my haste I did not clarify which Traxxas charger I wanted from them when I placed the order for the Aton so I had to reorder the correct charger from them. I am just going to wait until that charger arrives to open the Aton and read the manual. In the mean time I am going to work on my X-Maxx because I have some stuff to do to it before it hits the road the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamPlayer View Post
    Not sure the regular Traxxas 3s 5k batteries will fit. The new 5000 battery is shorter.
    Yes, they will fit. A Traxxas employee confirmed they do if you bunch the wires up.

Congrats!!!
    And that X-Maxx is super cool!

RC Qualifier
    Can't believe it has been over a month. I spent too much time getting my X-Maxx ready for the 30 ft jumps that I posted videos of. I think I will unbox the Aton this week and make a quick video unboxing/pre-flight, just in case something goes bad. I already picked up a memory card so that will be installed before the first flight.

Giddy up man!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamPlayer View Post
    I bought 2 of the regular batteries. The work. you need to "work" at closing the door on the battery compartment, but i have burned through at least 10 5k batteries in the past week

RC Qualifier
    LIPO Batteries are charged. Almost ready to fly! What are your results with NIMH batteries in the transmitter?

I posted a comparison of 3000 MAH and 5000 MAH batteries in this video also.

I am successful in using 700mah rechargeables in my transmitter. I just make sure I'm always at full bars or I change them out.
    The best rechargeable is the Eneloop Pro http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-4...ds=eneloop+pro

I'll get those when mine die out.

RC Qualifier

Up and flying!

I was able to fly / crash the Aton for the first time. It was a blast. My only flying experience up to this point is flying a Cheerson CX-10 so if you are able to do that you will be able to fly the Aton. Just remember - activate the air brakes if you notice there is a light pole in your path after you press Return to Home! I went through four or five full charges using two 5000 MAH batteries (regular non-Aton style). All of the flying was performed in film mode. Next time I will attach a GoPro style camera to it.

It is still flying fine, even though I probably should order a spare set of props and a landing gear.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I was able to fly / crash the Aton for the first time. It was a blast. My only flying experience up to this point is flying a Cheerson CX-10 so if you are able to do that you will be able to fly the Aton. Just remember - activate the air brakes if you notice there is a light pole in your path after you press Return to Home! I went through four or five full charges using two 5000 MAH batteries (regular non-Aton style). All of the flying was performed in film mode. Next time I will attach a GoPro style camera to it.

It is still flying fine, even though I probably should order a spare set of props and a landing gear.
    Probably wouldn't have hit the lightpole if the RTH was set to 45 feet. Haha (just messing with ya).
    It really is so fun to fly. Those legs, from what I've been reading, break off fairly easily and most likely so they don't break at the frame.

RC Qualifier
    LOL! I know! I saw it head toward the pole and was like:

pole pole POOOOOOOLLLLLE! Turn turn TURRNNNNNN! WHY isn't it turning?!!!!!! AIR BAM! ...brake...

...man, should have covered the Air Brake...

RC Enthusiast
    Kinda painful to watch lol. My worst fear. (fingers crossed) no crashes yet.

RC Qualifier
    When all is said and done, I was able to fly it right after repairing the landing skid. That damage is a lot less than what my X-Maxx had LOL! Since then I have used four 5000 MAH packs in it and even though the propellers are still damaged and it flies fine. I am really impressed with the Aton. I read the other thread about the new update so I will do that next.

I flew for about twenty minutes in the dark 30 degree weather tonight without any issues. I recorded the flight but the video quality is not that great so I probably won't post it unless someone needs to see night footage for some reason. Just let me know. Hopefully I will be able to mount the camera to it this weekend and see how it does.

RC Qualifier
    I finally repaired the landing skid with Loctite Super Glue and masking tape. I let the glue cure for 48 hours and added masking tape as an extra layer of protection. I am up to 12 5000 MAH packs in the Aton so far without any issues. If the weather holds up I will be able to record some videos from the air of my X-Maxx.

RC Competitor
    DJ I would change those props asap . Vibration is not your friend. Can cause lots of issues. That being said one of the traxxas guys was at my LHS doing a demo and bent a blade on purpose and then flew. Don't recomend but it just shows the durability of the Aton . It is a blast to fly.

RC Qualifier
    I ended up buying new rotor blades. Like you said though it will fly with slightly damage blades in camera mode, but for $6 it really is not worth the risk.

RC Qualifier
    Decided to try Sport mode out and went through four packs of batteries on the first day. Of course I crashed it, but not bad since it was on grass so I was able to replace the parts on the spot.

Been there, done that!
    Those sad looking bent props... Lol! Good to see it was a minor repair.

RC Qualifier
    I think Traxxas sells the Aton for a low price because they make all their money on the rotor blades! I must be on my sixth pair of them now. Four of those pairs were because of situations similar to Aton Palms on concrete. I need to figure out a way to kill the power to all of the rotors faster when it does that.

Almost forgot what came here to post. I took the Aton out in Sport mode with my RioRand camera attached. That's a whole new ball game in the wind. I need to practice flying with a camera. I accidentally switched to Expert mode while trying to switch to Film mode. Luckily I was only up three feet in the air when it crashed in the grass. Had to order more rotor blades...
    Last edited by drivejumpfly; 04-14-2016 at 10:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The camera and hardware sure does catch a lot of wind . I never use the landing legs unless i'm flying with the GoPro , can't really tip over landing on it's belly .

RC Qualifier
    That's a good point, but I fly with a camera most of the time.

I found out that the Aton's is not stable with two SJ4000s mounted to it. It wobbled badly and the video was hopeless.

RC Qualifier

X-Maxx Jumps Over Traxxas Aton

Here is the thread with the video in it:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6226305

RC Racer
    My Aton should be on the door step when I get home today. Man If I would try that with my X Maxx I would surely jump it right into the quad. Thanks for the unbox vid.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    My Aton should be on the door step when I get home today. Man If I would try that with my X Maxx I would surely jump it right into the quad. Thanks for the unbox vid.
    Yea, I was excited to get mine up and flying today, but it raining. 8-(

I was excited about mine too. I just started flying anything about 2 weeks ago with a Proto X to get my feet wet so I didn't kill a $400 Aton right off the bat.

I did the same thing getting the basic and waiting on the 3 axis.
    I don't use the landing gear unless I'm gonna be landing on hard surfaces, It just makes it look... all non sporty with the dragonfly legs hanging down. 8-)
    Have fun guys!
    Thanks for sharing the videos.
    SS33

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter33 View Post
    Yea, I was excited to get mine up and flying today, but it raining. 8-(

I was excited about mine too. I just started flying anything about 2 weeks ago with a Proto X to get my feet wet so I didn't kill a $400 Aton right off the bat.

I did the same thing getting the basic and waiting on the 3 axis.
    I don't use the landing gear unless I'm gonna be landing on hard surfaces, It just makes it look... all non sporty with the dragonfly legs hanging down. 8-)
    Have fun guys!
    Thanks for sharing the videos.
    SS33
    No problem at all. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have my parts for the Aton on my desk, just can't decide if I want to fix it before or after I repair the X-Maxx. I don't have enough space to work on both of them at the same time.

One thing I will say is it might be a good idea to label the Return to Home and Air Brake buttons on your radios. I am going to do that before I fly again because I can't afford to wreck the Aton again like I did in this video:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...Buff-Right-Out

My wallet cried.

RC Qualifier
    Started taking the Aton apart, but realized that I did not order enough parts. One of the wires to the LEDs was cut so I am waiting on that to arrive. Working on this is a lot more involved than my XO-1 or X-Maxx. There are three circuit boards in this thing.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    Finished taking it apart and now I am working on putting it back together. Pulling the motor wires apart and disconnecting the plugs on the circuit boards are probably the hardest part, well other than remembering where the wires were routed.

RC Qualifier
    It is all back together. It was not as bad as I thought to repair it. I will post some videos of it flying and with the new toy I picked up for it.

RC Racer
    Gotta love your X-Maxx man! I'm addicted to T-Maxx's since buying the first one in 2001? It's now been modified so heavily it's a different truck. Put an OS .30 RGX in it two years ago, but now it's a "hanger queen". 3 other T-Maxx's keep me busy. Now the Aton has my attention and man is it a freekin' blast! Your pics and videos are seriously cool, keep'em coming!

RC Qualifier

Aton Flying in 20 MPH Wind

Thanks for the comments! I will try to keep making videos of it.

You are completely right. The Aton is a blast. With the 5000 MAH battery you quickly forget how much time you are spending flying it.

Here is the first video of really flying it after the big crash. The winds were in the 20 MPH range so I decided to see how stable it could fly in that kind of wind.

RC Qualifier

Traxxas Aton Films Lake Bridges

Had a chance to take the Aton a spot a little further north of where I normally fly:

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Nice vids.
    Peace, J.J.

RC Qualifier
    Nice !

sent from Northern Vermont

RC Qualifier

Discharge Traxxas iD LIPO Batteries

Finally decided to stop using two of the batteries that I have been using in my Aton. My third and fourth ones are on their last legs also so I need to find replacements.

RC Qualifier

Traxxas Aton Flying Sport Mode At Construction Site

Found a place to drive my X-Maxx at and figured I would fly the Aton there while I was there. Pretty good gauge of how much ground it covers at full speed.

RC Competitor
    What kinda mod did you do to your transmitter?
    Referring to the vid where you crashed in the grass.

RC Qualifier
    I think you are referring to the light that I installed on the controller. It was not on at the time of that crash.

Here is how I installed it. It is better to use velcro though so you can remove it when you want to.

RC Qualifier

Carnival Cruise Catalina Island and Ensenada 2018 (Trailer)

I took the Aton on a cruise and honestly I was not happy with the performance. I guess it boiled down to my experience with another brand of drone that I flew the entire year of 2017 after I sold my Aton. I wish I took the other brand with me (sold it just before the trip to upgrade to a new version). It was too windy to fly with the gimbal working so I unplugged it and attached the foam gimbal support to fix it in place - it was an Aton Plus model so it did not have the fixed camera mount. The gimbal works great when there is no wind, but if there are any significant gusts or steady breezes it is very hard to capture steady video. I started on this video but there was so little aerial footage I could use that I basically am going to have to take screen captures from the video and add them as pictures to the video.

I am going to keep this Aton for sport and expert mode flying only because those modes are where the Aton shines. No more video with the Aton. I'll buy a quadcopter from another brand soon. And don't get me wrong, I am a huge Traxxas fan - as a matter of fact I only own Traxxas products right now: X-Maxx, E-Revo 2.0, Rustler, and XO-1. Oh well, looks like I will spend more time with my four other Traxxas vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast