Body lowered - tray cover?

So I spent some time lowering the body on my p4de tonight by cutting down the mounts.* I figured I'd try that and if I messed it up I'd go with one of the adjustable replacements available.* Every time I run it seems like the entire tub gets full of debris..snow...dirt....grass.* I was hoping lowering the body might help a bit...but I don't expect too much there.* I like how it looks though!

Has anyone tried a tray cover like the one linked below?

http://www.rcplanet.com/JConcepts_Il...FYOAaQodT9oBPA

Even though I'm still on stock batteries, I'm concerned about heat build-up under there; especially since I plan to start moving up the chain of battery/motor upgrades eventually.* I've seen a couple pics of folks adding extra fans, but with the heat involved on the higher end motors and ESCs it seems like a recipe for disaster to cover them up in any way.**

Maybe it's just something to throw on during the cold months?**

Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    So I spent some time lowering the body on my p4de tonight by cutting down the mounts.* I figured I'd try that and if I messed it up I'd go with one of the adjustable replacements available.* Every time I run it seems like the entire tub gets full of debris..snow...dirt....grass.* I was hoping lowering the body might help a bit...but I don't expect too much there.* I like how it looks though!

Has anyone tried a tray cover like the one linked below?

http://www.rcplanet.com/JConcepts_Il...FYOAaQodT9oBPA

Even though I'm still on stock batteries, I'm concerned about heat build-up under there; especially since I plan to start moving up the chain of battery/motor upgrades eventually.* I've seen a couple pics of folks adding extra fans, but with the heat involved on the higher end motors and ESCs it seems like a recipe for disaster to cover them up in any way.**

Maybe it's just something to throw on during the cold months?**

I'd think maybe a modification right above ESC and motor fans with a screen might allow u to run with that and still keep a lot of debris out of chassis.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-22-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    I'd think maybe a modification right above ESC and motor fans with a screen might allow u to run with that and still keep a lot of debris out of chassis.
    So maybe cut myself a big hole or two for venting the hot pieces and let the rest do the work of keeping out stuff? I think that's a good idea! I'm guessing a lot less would get through even by just covering up the sides a bit more.

So maybe cut myself a big hole or two for venting the hot pieces and let the rest do the work of keeping out stuff? I think that's a good idea! I'm guessing a lot less would get through even by just covering up the sides a bit more.
    Could even cut or drill some vents in middle or above battery and shoegoo some mesh or door screen material under it...

Could even cut or drill some vents in middle or above battery and shoegoo some mesh or door screen material under it...
    Also good ideas! I haven't done the shoegoo mod on this body yet...just added some gorilla tape to the places that seemed to get the most abuse. I think I'll have to get some though!

Also good ideas! I haven't done the shoegoo mod on this body yet...just added some gorilla tape to the places that seemed to get the most abuse. I think I'll have to get some though!
    Im meaning use the shoegoo to glue screening to the underside of that chassis cover once you have vent holes with drill bit or slots with exacto or dremel tool in it. The screening would keep debris out. If its good enough for screen door on house it prob be good in that situation too.

Im meaning use the shoegoo to glue screening to the underside of that chassis cover once you have vent holes with drill bit or slots with exacto or dremel tool in it. The screening would keep debris out. If its good enough for screen door on house it prob be good in that situation too.
    Yeah, I got you. I was just jumping from the tray cover to the body mod I've seen so much about while looking through the forum since it seems like drywall tape and shoegoo can be pretty useful. Sorry about that...There's so much information and so much everyone is doing with these...it's pretty fun to be learning so much new stuff all at once.

I think that screens over the cutouts is a great idea.

Yeah, I got you. I was just jumping from the tray cover to the body mod I've seen so much about while looking through the forum since it seems like drywall tape and shoegoo can be pretty useful. Sorry about that...There's so much information and so much everyone is doing with these...it's pretty fun to be learning so much new stuff all at once.

I think that screens over the cutouts is a great idea.
    If u do it please let us know how it turns out, post some pics.

If u do it please let us know how it turns out, post some pics.
    Will do. I think it would be really nice to not have to dig a few inches of packed snow and ice out of the truck every time I run it outside. I've been super glad to have an air compressor out in the garage lately.

RC Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
    Yep, that's pretty cool! I might even be able to make something like that with stuff I have lying around. It would at least keep the big chunks from getting in...a bit of water isn't a big deal. Thanks for the idea!

I like the first one better. Its cheaper and better looking IMO.

RC Qualifier
    The dusty motors shroud is sweet, keeps every thing clean and has plenty of air flow. These come with a zipper down the middle, so you dont have to remove it to swap batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by fls4 View Post
    The dusty motors shroud is sweet, keeps every thing clean and has plenty of air flow. These come with a zipper down the middle, so you dont have to remove it to swap batteries.
    That does look pretty cool too! I like the zipper. I think the best of both worlds would be something with hard sides and a mesh top. That way it still looks nice from the outside but the ventilation is built in.