RC Qualifier

Motor/ESC Upgrade

Been a few years since my last bashing session, and my last visit here, so I'm really out of the loop. I'm looking into the possibility of upgrading from the velineon 3500 system to something bigger. So my question here is what would be a worthy upgrade? I know the driveline would need some upgrading too, but I'm just looking at my options right now.

Also, my LiPos have all been at storage voltage for like 3 years. I charged one up the other day, and it seemed to die rather quickly. I was running stock spur and 9t pinion in the snow. it's a venom 3s 5400 Mah battery, and I my have gotten about 15 minutes out of it. could these batteries need t be "excercised" to get them going again? Or could this be normal for having been running in snow?
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

If you're gonna stick with 3s I would go lower kv...something in the 2400kv -3000kv and gear accordingly. There's a thread over in the Slash forum with some good suggestions.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...hing-Motor-ESC

If you go that route driveline upgrades will be required. I pretzeled a couple stock driveshaft on my Slash..lol MIPs were the fix.

Try exercising those lipos a couple times see what happen. 15 min ain't horrible in the snow(lots of tire spin) Otherwise SMC and SPC are the best value in lipos at this time. You can get a nice 3s/5000mah/50c pack for about $40. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, Ill try cycling the batteries a couple times and see what happens. I have a 50c speedpack from Dynamite, that I've never used, and the rest of my 3s are Venom. Also have 2 2s packs from SPC. I'd hate to have to replace these packs. I guess you're right about the run time in snow, given the added weight of the sand paddle tires and the build-up of snow on the chassis.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Racer
    I get about 20 min run time in snow qith my traxxas 5800maw 2s lipo with tire chains on it. The cold does not help either, i am gonna get a outerwear chasis cover and see if that helps the battery is basically on ice whole time. Lots of wide open running and since I have so much grip now I have toasted 3 stock cv's so mip it will be when I can afford them. I don't know a lot about batteries so keep us updated on the cycling I'm interested to see how that goes. I was not aware you could store lipos that long without checking storage charge....

My MIPs were around $46 a pair on amazon.

I thought 15 min on 3300 2s geared at 18/54 was terrible, but I'm seeing that prob isn't that bad if your getting 20 min on 5800. Mine is street/yard bashing.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    I found all 4 mip's for 96 free shipping on ebay... I may get a lil longer but again it depends on temp outside and how much snow I'm blowing through... I run only in my yard and mostly wide open so it's not horrible.... when it was warmer and no snow I was getin around 30 min but I was also geared 13/54 then.... I've been playing with gearing quite a bit. Up to 16/54 currently running 15/54 to see if that got a little of my time back. Haven't been able to run a full pack tho so I'm not sure. What motor are you running? I'm running the velineon brushless and vxl 3s esc combo. The new 4 pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    My MIPs were around $46 a pair on amazon.

I thought 15 min on 3300 2s geared at 18/54 was terrible, but I'm seeing that prob isn't that bad if your getting 20 min on 5800. Mine is street/yard bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drty420 View Post
    I found all 4 mip's for 96 free shipping on ebay... I may get a lil longer but again it depends on temp outside and how much snow I'm blowing through... I run only in my yard and mostly wide open so it's not horrible.... when it was warmer and no snow I was getin around 30 min but I was also geared 13/54 then.... I've been playing with gearing quite a bit. Up to 16/54 currently running 15/54 to see if that got a little of my time back. Haven't been able to run a full pack tho so I'm not sure. What motor are you running? I'm running the velineon brushless and vxl 3s esc combo. The new 4 pole.
    I'm running Castle SCT combo 1410 motor(3800kv 4 pole on those 3300mah 2s's)

I was on 18t pin but last night after bashing w/daughter I adjusted slipper(was slipping a bit more than I like) and threw in my 15t. I too am playing around with pins....
    Last edited by Briber; 01-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...