RC poster

My first Aton flight.

The Aton is my first hobby grade quadcopter. I've flown toy grade ones for a few months now and was looking for something a little more advanced, but not on the level of a Phantom or Typhoon. Just something that can carry a Go Pro, but still have good performance.

The first thing that really impressed me is how responsive and stable it is. Even in film mode with a 15-20mph wind, it's very easy to position the quad exactly where you want it. You have to do very little if any micro adjustments to keep your position in the sky. Second thing that impressed me was the build quality. I have to admit, I did not heed the low battery warning fast enough and took a free fall from about 10 feet onto short grass. The only damage was one of the landing gear legs snapping. But if Traxxas lives up to their reputation, replacement parts are just a day away. For some of my other quads, i've had to wait for nearly a month for replacement parts to be shipped from over seas.

I only have two very small complaints. I would have preferred a more hobby style transmitter as opposed to the video game style. Or at least the option to bind another transmitter. Also, I wish the GoPro mount included the little nut to actually hold the thumbscrew so I wouldn't have to pilfer one from my other GoPro mount.

Other than that, I give 5 out of 5 stars to Traxxas. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

RC Racer
    Awesome man glad to hear you are enjoying it. If the battery gets low enough it should come home not fall. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Fly it like you stole it!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Reavesbj View Post
    Awesome man glad to hear you are enjoying it. If the battery gets low enough it should come home not fall. Just thought I'd mention it.
    I will have to go back and look at the video. I may have inadvertently canceled the return to home.

RC Racer
    OK cool , that would make sense. And by the way welcome!!
    Fly it like you stole it!

Welcome to the club GSFleming. Enjoy!

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the addiction!

RC Racer
    I also fell from about 10 feet high on return to home but it was because I canceled the return to home and did not land soon enough.it happens but I've learned from it

RC Qualifier
    Is there anything I should look out for on my first Aton flight? I'm getting it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    Is there anything I should look out for on my first Aton flight? I'm getting it tomorrow.
    I don't think it matters whether you update the firmware or not, unless you wanrt to use the app to change things. Go ahead if you want to though. Make sure you use a freshly formatted card with the file in root directory.
    Relax, charge the battery and read the manual.
    Use an entire battery in film mode
    Fully understand the difference between film/sport/expert mode.
    Don't even think of going expert mode unless you are very much an expert.
    This thing is powerfull. Must be treated with respect. Take it slow while you realize/understand the potential.
    Have fun!!!

RC poster
    Just made my first flight !! This thing is amazing!! Charging and getting ready to go again. Just received it yesterday. Did all the firm ware updates and works flawlessly !! More to come !

Quite a rush isn't it? Welcome to Aton Dakoolaid911.

RC poster
    Thanks !!
    This form is the reason I bought an Aton over many other choices. What a great decision it was !

RC Qualifier
    Did you do todays update as well?
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoolaid911 View Post
    Thanks !!
    This form is the reason I bought an Aton over many other choices. What a great decision it was !
    Out of curiosity, what were your other choices? Mine were Blade 200qx, Walkera runner advanced gps, Blade 350.