Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar

2200kv vs 2650kv speeds!

Over the weekend I borrowed a 2200kv castle from my lhs. He ain't in a hurry too get it back, so I figured I would do some speed comparisons to my 2650kv while I have it. First I will show install pics, a lot of you have already seen my threads regarding the 2650kv install, but for any new people these are for you. First is my 2650kv pic, now these are my two options for the 2650kv install.
    This one I have MMX up front with a slash lcg receiver box mounted between motor and servo.

This option used the stock stampede box between motor and servo, notice there's more room when using this box with the 2650kv.

This is the 2200 install, notice the can is longer than the 2650kv, which requires a little more modification too the chassis than the 2650kv but not much. Now for speed results I started out with 20/54 that's all I had time too test today. I used my g-locs on revolvers and will be the only tire I use for this testing, so different tires can net different speed results depending on what your using. Both tests were done with a 4s lipo fresh off the charger for best results. 2200kv I got 56mph with it
    Changed too the 2650kv and got 66mph.
    Will try both motors on 25/50 gearing this weekend, hoping my tires can handle it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow 10mph difference. When I ran my 2200 I didnt have my gps to do this kind of testing. I just knew it was slower then the 2650 on same gear and battery. Which is why both my sons would beat me in a race running 3s. Till I put in 4s lol

That's no fair you were cheating lol jk. I knew the 2200 would be slower I didn't expect the difference too be that much though. I will try both on 3s tmw too see what that gets me. When I gear up too 25/50 I'm sure the 2200 will be in the 70mph range. The 2650 I've gotten 78mph with that gear, but lost my weights I had on the front so I couldn't retry too see if I could get 80 plus I ruined my tires I was using at that time. If the glocs don't fall apart I should be able too hit 80mph with the 2650 with a weighted front end.

RC Qualifier
    Cool experiment, I'm glad you do this kind of stuff. I got my XO1 rear diff, aluminum motor mount and new slipper shaft in today too sick to put it all together right now though. No bad bearings or anything to cause the slipper to fail, too much grip? Not sure. Was set same as it always has been.

I figured since I had both motors in my possession and that's always a pretty popular question, I figured I'd do a little experimenting. Which motto mount did you go with? Dang, not very often I see a broken slipper shaft, good thing that their cheap too replace.

RC Qualifier
    Went with the Traxxas aluminum mount. I was doing a lot of flips, getting out of the throttle well before I hit the ground though. My first thought was that the bearing may have seized but its fine so I don't know. Hit 54 consistently this time out still geared 22/50 though.

Might have hit just right and caused it too be under a lot of force or something. Least it wasn't something very expensive lol. Not bad could probably hit close too 60 or maybe a little more geared 25/50.

RC Qualifier
    May try a 25 out just to max it out and see what it will do.

2200kv vs 2650kv speeds!

I say go for it lol
    Last edited by GeneralPede01; 01-25-2016 at 07:02 PM.

See that's why I don't think the calculated speed in app is accurate.

You get 56 on 20/54 & 4s
    I get 53 on 18/54 & 2s

You have better gearing and more power and only net 3 mph faster?
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Kv comes into play as well, 56 was with the 2200kv. The 2650kv with same gearing netted 66mph top speed. Your running a 3800kv so that's 1600kv increase over the 2200 and 1150kv increase over the 2650. Higher kv motors can have high speeds with lower volts, the lower kv motors need higher voltage and higher gearing too make up for the low kv and can handle the higher volts and gearing which makes them better for speed runs. If your put that 3800 on 4-6s it would get hot very quick and most likely burn up.

Also forgot too mention ballooning of your tires could also be helping you since when they balloon your overall tire diameter is increased. My g-locs do not balloon at those speeds at all and their diameter is smaller than a regular 2.8 MT tire.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    Kv comes into play as well, 56 was with the 2200kv. The 2650kv with same gearing netted 66mph top speed. Your running a 3800kv so that's 1600kv increase over the 2200 and 1150kv increase over the 2650. Higher kv motors can have high speeds with lower volts, the lower kv motors need higher voltage and higher gearing too make up for the low kv and can handle the higher volts and gearing which makes them better for speed runs. If your put that 3800 on 4-6s it would get hot very quick and most likely burn up.
    My bad! That's right I wasn't thinking about kv ratings, go figure I'm posting in a kV comparison thread lol....

RC Qualifier
    That's no fair you were cheating lol jk. I knew the 2200 would be slower I didn't expect the difference too be that much though. I will try both on 3s tmw too see what that gets me. When I gear up too 25/50 I'm sure the 2200 will be in the 70mph range. The 2650 I've gotten 78mph with that gear, but lost my weights I had on the front so I couldn't retry too see if I could get 80 plus I ruined my tires I was using at that time. If the glocs don't fall apart I should be able too hit 80mph with the 2650 with a weighted front end.
    I know you were part of the discussion in my thread for my slash about getting another 2200kv or 2650kv and in the end I settled on the 2200kv again since I knew how it ran. Seeing this makes me regret going back with that 2200kv. What scared me from the 2650 was being limited to 4s even tho thats all I ran but I also dont like running at the systems max. I'll definitely have to pick up a 2650kv down the road and see what she does!

It's rated at 4s, but a lot of ppl have ran them on 5/6s as well. Just have too watch temps closely on 5 and 6s. Er33 ran the 2650 on 5/6s he could give you more info on that since i haven't been above 4s. I run 4s in mine exclusively and temps haven't been a issue. The hottest it has been was 155 geared 18/54 running my swampers. It can get warm when running monster truck tires but can always gear down some. When summer hits I may drop too a 15 or 16t pinion. When running my buggy tires which are considerably light than my revolvers I can put a 4s pack through it acting like a fool and the motor I can touch it and leave my hand on it, so tires gave a great impact on temps as well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    See that's why I don't think the calculated speed in app is accurate.

You get 56 on 20/54 & 4s
    I get 53 on 18/54 & 2s

You have better gearing and more power and only net 3 mph faster?
    Yeah I don't use it any more. After certain mph it goes way off. Plus you have to
    Count in tire ballooning. I typed my setup for my speed run rig one time to see what it says lol I said I should be going 190+ mph. I thought to myself "I wish"

190mph would be awesome until you crashed, wouldn't have too worry about going too pick it up because there wouldn't be anything left lol

190mph would be awesome until you crashed, wouldn't have too worry about going too pick it up because there wouldn't be anything left lol
    That would b the most incredible thing to see! I think your working your way up there, 120 mph more to go!

No doubt lol

So weather was not that bad tonight when I got off, so changed gearing too 25/50 and loaded up everything and went too my speed spot in town. I tested both motors on 2/3/4s lipo. Instead of videoing every run I only videoed the 4s runs for both motors and just took pics for the 2/3s lipos. 2200kv results first.
    2s lipo.

3s lipo

4s lipo pass, got 68 in video. Did another pass and ended up with 69mph.
    2650kv results.
    2s lipo.

3s lipo.

Had some nice runs tonight, didn't break nothing. However I did flip over going about 60mph+ without the body on a I grinded down a couple of my proline screw cap studs and flip on my roof with the body on and slid for a good 50 yards which took a chunk out of my roof lol.
    The g-locs performed very well and held up too the 80mph run. I made around 5 passes consistently hitting 80mph and their still on the rims, tape is still holding up as well. They grip really well after making a couple passes and it wasn't cold tonight either so I'm sure that helped out as well too.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome results. Glad to have actual data on the performance of both motors. Gotta agree on the RC Calc app being faulty. It was dead on with 2s but on 3s and above the speeds are very inflated.

So weather was not that bad tonight when I got off, so changed gearing too 25/50 and loaded up everything and went too my speed spot in town. I tested both motors on 2/3/4s lipo. Instead of videoing every run I only videoed the 4s runs for both motors and just took pics for the 2/3s lipos. 2200kv results first.
    2s lipo.

3s lipo

4s lipo pass, got 68 in video. Did another pass and ended up with 69mph.
    2650kv results.
    2s lipo.

3s lipo.

Had some nice runs tonight, didn't break nothing. However I did flip over going about 60mph+ without the body on a I grinded down a couple of my proline screw cap studs and flip on my roof with the body on and slid for a good 50 yards which took a chunk out of my roof lol.
    The g-locs performed very well and held up too the 80mph run. I made around 5 passes consistently hitting 80mph and their still on the rims, tape is still holding up as well. They grip really well after making a couple passes and it wasn't cold tonight either so I'm sure that helped out as well too.
    Nice!!! 80mph + no blow over = Happy G-Pede! 2s huh, if you wanna sell those whimpy things let me know

Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    Awesome results. Glad to have actual data on the performance of both motors. Gotta agree on the RC Calc app being faulty. It was dead on with 2s but on 3s and above the speeds are very inflated.
    I use the Trx link app on 2s.

Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    Thanks, now if I only had a 5/6s lipo too try out lol.
    Nice!!! 80mph + no blow over = Happy G-Pede! 2s huh, if you wanna sell those whimpy things let me know
    I had a weight on the front end which helped along with running without a body. Did have one blow over from hitting a bump though, that's when I grinded down my screw cap studs. I just got that 2s replaced by traxxas and its my gf's. Don't think she would like me selling her battery lol

Thanks, now if I only had a 5/6s lipo too try out lol.

I had a weight on the front end which helped along with running without a body. Did have one blow over from hitting a bump though, that's when I grinded down my screw cap studs. I just got that 2s replaced by traxxas and its my gf's. Don't think she would like me selling her battery lol
    I was going to ask about the weight situation. How much did you have to put on? Still attaching on bumper? I was just throwing it out there in case wanting to upgrade to 3s or more.

I made own set of weights at work instead of using the stick on deals. I used 4oz last night on the front. I have a total of 16oz too use, but only used 4oz last night.

Have you experimented around with weight placement? Like on front shock towers under body?

I have not experimented with weights besides what is pictures above. I borrowed a 5/6s lipo from my lhs earlier along with some ofna street tires. So gonna be pushing ol General too the limits here soon .

RC Qualifier
    I have not experimented with weights besides what is pictures above. I borrowed a 5/6s lipo from my lhs earlier along with some ofna street tires. So gonna be pushing ol General too the limits here soon .
    I would be interested in this also, I have ran my slash once on 5s (2200kv) and literally it was stupid lol. So seeing 6s I just can't imagine but would love to see it
    I don't own another 3s so I can't try 6s but would like to especially in my emaxx.

I'm guessing that with 5s the 2200 should be able too hit 80 or more since I got 69mph on 4s.

I'm guessing that with 5s the 2200 should be able too hit 80 or more since I got 69mph on 4s.
    When's your next attempt?

How far of roll out do you need before going wot? By the time it reaches you are wot?

Have you tried changing your ESC settings for punch control or throttle curve to see if it helps with control on getting up to speed? Is it controllable as is? I'm imagining with batteries that powerful it wants to get loose if not managing throttle precisely.

You gotta get vid of a 80+ run!

Just imagine your speed with my ramp and need for big air. That would be epic. True flight. (If your buzzlightyear) or Falling with style (if your woody) as its coming in for landing.....lol!!!!

When's your next attempt?

How far of roll out do you need before going wot? By the time it reaches you are wot?

Have you tried changing your ESC settings for punch control or throttle curve to see if it helps with control on getting up to speed? Is it controllable as is? I'm imagining with batteries that powerful it wants to get loose if not managing throttle precisely.

You gotta get vid of a 80+ run!

Just imagine your speed with my ramp and need for big air. That would be epic. True flight. (If your buzzlightyear) or Falling with style (if your woody) as its coming in for landing.....lol!!!!
    Due too it raining for half the day it will probably be a couple days, I have too wait for the ground too dry and I can only speedrun at 1:30am or later. I usually rollout for about 20-30 feet then start working my way up too wot. I do that because I don't wana just jump too wot from dead start otherwise I may find myself replacing a ring gear lol. When it reaches me in the video that's wot, I left off as soon as it passes me because there's a concrete barrier not far away. I have my esc settings at 100 throttle, 40 punch control, 10 drag brake, and timing at normal. I've been wanting too compare the timing settings too see if that decreases or increases speed. It's really not that hard too control, I recently changed too 100k rear diff fluid which helped out a lot in keeping it straight. Will defiantly have video of the 5/6s runs on both motors. Topped out 6s speeds hitting your ramp would much likely result in space flight lol.

Due too it raining for half the day it will probably be a couple days, I have too wait for the ground too dry and I can only speedrun at 1:30am or later. I usually rollout for about 20-30 feet then start working my way up too wot. I do that because I don't wana just jump too wot from dead start otherwise I may find myself replacing a ring gear lol. When it reaches me in the video that's wot, I left off as soon as it passes me because there's a concrete barrier not far away. I have my esc settings at 100 throttle, 40 punch control, 10 drag brake, and timing at normal. I've been wanting too compare the timing settings too see if that decreases or increases speed. It's really not that hard too control, I recently changed too 100k rear diff fluid which helped out a lot in keeping it straight. Will defiantly have video of the 5/6s runs on both motors. Topped out 6s speeds hitting your ramp would much likely result in space flight lol.
    Lol, rocketship! On the NiMH bat I noticed an increase from default (10) when I went to 13 then to 15. On the lipos I actually had to turn back to 10 and put start up power on low. It was draining batts fast so turning it down gave me increase in run time. It was also shuttering pretty good at take off from dead stop. Couple other adjustments and it was running really good tonight. Until I bent a shock shaft. Been wondering about those questions thank for sharing....

No problem, I believe high timing also results in higher temps as well. I wana compare timing because if I don't lose much top speed with timing on the lowest setting compared too normal then I will leave it at the lowest setting too help have cooler temps.

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see the 2650 on 5 or 6s. Glad to see somebody pushing the P4de to its limits. Seems like every cell is another 10 mph or so, maybe you'll be pushing 100 if aerodynamics allow. Sounds like you have an awesome hobby shop, gotta be thankful for that.

Yea he's just as curious as I am, I'm not sure if the ofnas will hold up if not this experiment will have too wait till I order some grp tires. It could be could too 100 if I don't blow over. I have a seen p4de do 122mph on YouTube that had a stock body on it, I'm guessing that guy had it weighed down or something.

So did a few runs tonight, did not get too try 5s. I guess it has a bad connector on the battery because my esc keeps giving a lvc alarm when I plugged it in so was not able too test either motor on 5s. Did get some 6s runs in, on the 2650kv a semi was in my way so I believe I can do better than what I did tonight. On 2650kv best I could do was 85mph this was not at full throttle. 2200kv was at wot in video but I had already done a few passes with the 2650kv so the speed could be different with a fresh off the charger battery, will retry both motors tmw night. I changed too ofna street tires because I'm not sure if my g-locs could handle much more than 80mph and I didn't want too risk messing them up. The ofnas are just a little bit smaller so that can effect speeds as well. Here's videos.

2650kv

2200kv

WoW that thing is moving! That is so sick! Your the king of speed! Looks like it was pretty stable. Did you have same amount of weight on?

Lol I'm far away from being the king of speed. Last time I had 4oz on front, this time I had 12oz.

Lol I'm far away from being the king of speed. Last time I had 4oz on front, this time I had 12oz.
    For a non modified P4de hitting those speeds, that's pretty spectacular! Ive seen what was claimed to be a P4de hitting 116 but it didn't look anything like our truck! Next stop 90 lol.

I consider yours upgrades and it retains the stock look and set up.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-28-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast