Thread: Tire chains

RC Racer

Tire chains

So was bored today and I've seen a set of these for sale for like 30 bux... no way I'm paying 30 bux for them so 4 bux later I'm at my bench building a set... wow is all I can say

RC Racer
    Short video can't get the longer one to upload...

RC Enthusiast
    Good job man how did you make this

RC Racer
    I started with two pieces long enough to go around the tire. You can shorten it later when your done but that's a good starting point. Then took another piece long enough to lay over tire width and just hang over the edge on each side. Then count links and hook up cross pieces, every place it was hooked i counted 3 full links without and put in 4th liknk The one laying on the bench was a little wide so I had to go back and take some links out then just count links and put cross pieces in. I did 4 or 5 cross pieces then put them on the tires and hooked them up so they were tight but not so tight they dented in tires any where. After that I went through and added more cross pieces in between all existing cross pieces. The first one was a pain in the butt second one was cake cus I knew all the lengths of the chain pieces. Total cost was around 4 bux and about an hour of my time... got the packages of chain at lowes.

The grip you're getting in the snow on that video is amazing. Nice!

I love the rooster tails your getting off the tires! Great job on those!
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    Well all sorts of grip equals broken parts lol.... I broke 2 axes this morning also stripped a hex beacuse I put it together wrong and broke a wheel should not be using power tools to put wheels on and I would have noticed it was not right... but it is a blast to drive. I don't baby it either. Also self righting is not a good idea there is a lot more rotating mass there it flips right back over even on nimh batteries. The 2s is just an animal... it will wheelie over backwards in 4 inches of snow where it was getting hung up and spinning out before with the trenchers on. When I get my xmaxx I will do a video of the making of the chains for that from start to finish so you guys can see how it's done. Very simple just take your time and make sure everything is evenly spaced. I can't get over how much better it is. I also run 15/ 54 gearing I was running 16/54 in the video above. I changed it to 15 beacuse I wanted to get a little more run time but wasn't able to run whole 5800maw 2s lipo on any run today... this little truck impressed the heck out of me last couple days... off to LHS to grab some more parts... come on taxes I want my maxx!!!

RC Racer
    It's snowing again and I'm ready let's see what this baby will do... added aluminum shock caps and a wheelie bar finally. Also some camber links off vxl... ones for front went on rear rear ones did not fit so I gotta get another front set... gonna put my proline mount back on and run the green body again soon... soon as I finish this one off lol lol

Great thread man. very useful. When I first started and tried to find some info on making chains it was a pain. Wish someone made a thread like this back then. Thank you for putting something informational and useful.

hey what do you have for number or chains lengths wise like around the wall of tire then what is the number of lengths across tire then how many do you use across ?? please reply asap

RC Racer
    Not positive I will count them when I go down to my r/c hideout as my fiance calls it lol..