Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Sidewinder 3 3800kv vs VXL-3S

I have a XL-5 Rustler and I am looking to upgrade the motor and esc. I am trying to decide between the Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 3800kv or the Traxxas VXL-3S. My Rustler is completely stock with stock gearing.

The SV3 4600 is a great option for the Rustler. Nothing wrong with your other choices though as long as your not going for the 100mph club. It's your choice they all perform about the same.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    No I'm only looking to do 70 at the most. I'm not planning on doing top speed runs I'm just bashing around in my parking lot jumping over speed bumps and such I doubt I will ever do over 50.

RC Enthusiast
    Any idea if I would need to get new gears for it? I plan on using a 5000mah 7.4v 2S Lipo for the time being. I believe my current gearing is 23/86 (stock)

Stock is 23/86 for the VXL not the XL-5. are you sure it's 23/86? XL-5 I believe is 16/90.
    The 23/86 is a good start, I'm up to 23/83 right now and probably stay there. 2S and that gearing is perfect for jumping and bashing.
    Stampede/Rustler

They're both good now that traxxas jumped to 4 pole I think. Castle will have more tuning options and in my opinion, has more "style." Both will get hit on 3s with tall gearing but I have the 3800 and it's temps are awesome. I still recommend castle cause the sv3 is still cheaper and in a few ways, better.

RC Enthusiast
    No I'm not sure that is the correct gearing I just googled it and thats what I found

My vote is for the 3800 system.

Both are reliable, both waterproof, but the Castle system is less expensive, is a bit more powerful, 100% easier to tune and change settings, and has a lot more tuning options.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Does the Castle system have a low voltage cut off for Lipos like the VXL system does?

Quote Originally Posted by nulk1 View Post
    No I'm not sure that is the correct gearing I just googled it and thats what I found
    It's probably 16/90 and with either set up you go with the 23/86 will be good. My SV3 4600 is running 23/83 and loves it.
    The numbers are embossed on the gears, the spur is easy to see it's big but the pinion is stamped small. A good magnifying glass helps or it could be I need glasses.
    Stampede/Rustler

Does the Castle system have a low voltage cut off for Lipos like the VXL system does?
    Yes but unlike the VXL the Castle has programmable settings for LVC and other uses. This is the field card which shows what can be set.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/products/field_link.html
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Racer
    yes jerry is right it is 16/90 just checked it on my rustler and I would vote for the 3800, Just because my friend is having problems with his vxl-3s.
    Big tires do wheelies!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Would 16/90 gearing with the castle system be fine with a 7.4v lipo or should I change that to 23/86?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Would 16/90 gearing with the castle system be fine with a 7.4v lipo or should I change that to 23/86?
    Gearing its all up to you. 16/90 is a very safe and ideal gearing on 2s. 23/86 you'll want to monitor temps every 5-7 minutes you're running. you just have to find that sweet spot gearing for your running conditions.

oh and I would definitely go with the 3800kv over the 4600kv. the 4600kv will heat up faster if you're trying to do speeds runs of 70mph
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 01-26-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

16/90 will do but to really wake that system up I would eventually change the gearing. I ran 16/90 on my son's till he got used to driving it.
    +1^^^^^^ but check temps every 5 minutes?
    Monitor your temps when changing any drive line component such as tires and gearing until you see the temps are in safe range.
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 01-26-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    Stampede/Rustler

Whatever you want. Just check the temperatures but that's pretty conservative so you should be good. I'd go 23 because the system can handle it EDIT: 23/86 will give you a top speed of 30mph
    Last edited by Lionkev55; 01-26-2016 at 09:03 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    16/90 will do but to really wake that system up I would eventually change the gearing. I ran 16/90 on my son's till he got used to driving it.
    +1^^^^^^ but check temps every 5 minutes?
    Monitor your temps when changing any drive line component such as tires and gearing until you see the temps are in safe range.
    Yep. Imagine hardcore bashing constantly on the throttle in the summer for 7 minutes straight with that gearing. Things will get pretty hot. I live in Socal so that's just my opinion on it. I guess I'm just a lil more cautious than some lol
    We are all one race. The human race.

It should be okay but he can always use the included fan for -20f temps it really helped for me

At 16/90 he should not even break a sweat! Southern Cali is pretty hot! and no humidity. I've been there in 110 and did not like it. If he starts playing with the 23/86 it still should be good. I am in Louisiana and it get's hot here (not like you) but the humidity plays havoc on us. 23/83 and I still don't push over 130.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    The hottest it has ever been where I live is 104 degrees and its not like that very often its usually around 77. So hopefully temperatures won't be an issue

I stuffed a VXL/3500kv in a Craigslist Rustler and started with 23/86(3.73:1) on 2s and it was a wheelie monster. I switched to 32p gears at 18/54(3.0:1) and it calmed down the wheelies and picked up top speed. Temps still stay reasonable,under 150f in summer and hard to break 100f now in winter. I'm in WI so your results will vary. Good luck!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Really? I am geared 29/36 and I am getting 55mph with a 2s lipo. What kind of tires are you running?

Yes and that must be why since those are bigger and likely balloon at high speed for even more speed.

RC Champion
    With 2s being your primary battery the 4600kv would be really nice. The 3800 is still fine but when running the 2s batteries I personally like the 4000kv+ motors. You would easily be able to hit the 55+ speeds when you want to with gear and then go back to 30-40 ish for bashing

I know you said 70mph was a goal but it is not that easy to hit even with a 3800kv and 3s and crazy gearing. I got just around 60mph with 3800kv 3s and 28/76 gearing and that was just normal bashing tires and body nothing sleek or low profile.

But coming from an XL-5 you are going to have a HUGE grin on your face with any brushless setup you get on 2s Also you will become a regular at the local hobby shop for spare parts hehehe
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8

MOD 1 gives many possibilities

I have both the Traxxas VXL and the Castle SCT 3800 combo.

My Rusty has XVL system and I put the Castle Sidewinder 3 SCT 3800 on my Sla2h. Both are geared 23/86 on 2S 5000mAh LiPo batteries.

The Rusty has always been faster than the Slash, racing around and just bashing. Me and the boys have tested before and after we put the Castle combo in the Slash. Now that the Slash has the Castle combo the Rusty gets beat when drag racing. With the throttle curve set using the Castle link the hook up and launch is amazing. The Slash takes the Rusty off the line and will also come from behind to pass the Rusty if the Slash gets a bad start. For the price, being able to choose what connectors, the 2 fans, and the link options, I say Castle.
    Drive It Like You Stole It

Mine came stock with 19/90 and the optional 86 spur gear. I dont know what speed you would call VERY slow but geared 23/86 on 2S is easly in the 40mph range and I know its over 50mph on 3S

All vehicles are different

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    With 2s being your primary battery the 4600kv would be really nice. The 3800 is still fine but when running the 2s batteries I personally like the 4000kv+ motors. You would easily be able to hit the 55+ speeds when you want to with gear and then go back to 30-40 ish for bashing

I know you said 70mph was a goal but it is not that easy to hit even with a 3800kv and 3s and crazy gearing. I got just around 60mph with 3800kv 3s and 28/76 gearing and that was just normal bashing tires and body nothing sleek or low profile.

But coming from an XL-5 you are going to have a HUGE grin on your face with any brushless setup you get on 2s Also you will become a regular at the local hobby shop for spare parts hehehe
    Totally agree! could not have said it any better.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    So I have decided that I am going to go with a castle creations motor now I am trying to decide between the 3800kv and the 4600kv. Any ideas?

So I have decided that I am going to go with a castle creations motor now I am trying to decide between the 3800kv and the 4600kv. Any ideas?
    Look up there was plenty of ideas given, now it's your turn to pick.
    I will say the SCT 3800 is good for the Sl2sh, may be P2ede (I have the 4600), but the Rustler shines on the 4600.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    I have the sidewinder sct esc and the 3800kv motor combo and I'm very impressed but it is my first brushless motor.

RC Enthusiast
    What do you mean by "Sl2sh, may be P2ede"

2wd's, Stampede (P2de) oop's too many e's,
    In my opinion there is not that much if any difference between the two in performance but I prefer the 4600.
    Stampede/Rustler

For this occasion, I would recommend whatever is cheaper. In my eyes, they're equal since a slight gearing change makes them identical. Only higher gearing will the 3800 pull ahead, but the 4600 sounds better for this due to it being in a light 2wd on 2s.

Quote Originally Posted by benhesbrarom View Post
    3s I dont use in the rusty its a one way trip to the lhs....
    hahahahahaha yes! but isnt that part of the fun?

Yeaaaaaaaah it is.....okay maybe not. The problem I have with breakage is downtime since it is my only car so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionkev55 View Post
    Yeaaaaaaaah it is.....okay maybe not. The problem I have with breakage is downtime since it is my only car so far.
    Sounds like its time for you to pick up a Slash then.

Thats what I am aiming at since I have a street speed bandit but nothing for the dirt. Its not that I crash a lot its that what I run would be considered "risky." 4s on a 3800kv motor on a 2wd 1/10 sounds like a recipe for disaster huh? I want to get a slash 4x4 but I'm broke

RC Enthusiast
    the 3800 loves 4s lol we have run it on 5 and 6s as well for speed and drag racing. we have had it up to 72 mph in 132' on 4s(runs high 60's most of the time) but its been over 80 with it with out going crazy with the gearing

https://youtu.be/2G-ADeTyXDI?t=2m51s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast