RC Competitor

rollback firmware

Is it possible to rollback the firmware to the version that came installed on the aton?

Seems to me there were less crashes and whatnot with that version

RC Racer
    I wanted to update mine to be able to use the app, but was afraid because of the same thing. Think I'll hold off for now.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkeringman71 View Post
    I wanted to update mine to be able to use the app, but was afraid because of the same thing. Think I'll hold off for now.
    Traxxas has not come out and said its the software. But i would hold off if i did it again

RC Champion
    can you plug the drone into a computer somehow? if so then its jsut as simple as pulling up the hidden files and rewriting them to the old software via root files.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    use Mission Planner to connect via PC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennan View Post
    is mission planner the app on your phone? if so that will not work if its just for viewing in app things like the camera. you have to beable to get into the hardware files in the drone.

RC Competitor
    I had mine apart to change the mainframe. I did not see any sort of usb plug on the thing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennan View Post
    Will this detail what happens or just plot where it flew?

RC Qualifier
    there is absolutely a USB plug on the Aton.

its just in front of the Micro SD slot.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    there is absolutely a USB plug on the Aton.

its just in front of the Micro SD slot.
    that will do it, my guess is thats where all the information for the flight and firmware is located, thats why it says not to fly with out the micro sd card. you should beable to pull it up in the computer and look into all its files. just rewright the old files onto a new msd card and create a /root file with the old firmware, the real issue is going to be finding a downlaoded version of the old firmware.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-27-2016 at 01:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    https://github.com/traxxas/ardupilot/releases

the old software is easily downloaded here, just scroll down, they have all of the old software releases

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    https://github.com/traxxas/ardupilot/releases

the old software is easily downloaded here, just scroll down, they have all of the old software releases
    there you go guys, should be easy enough with come computing knowledge.

RC Qualifier
    Even with the newest firmware out people are still scrambling to get the oldest one back? Is it not good?

I am absolutely going to move forward

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    Even with the newest firmware out people are still scrambling to get the oldest one back? Is it not good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    I am absolutely going to move forward
    i cant say to much, i do not have this drone, i do own a drone and fly it regularly. however this large explosion of popularity and flying drones has really affected every thing around us. and with all the wrecks wether or not its software or more likely then not it is the pilot flying over their own ability. i have seen wrecks with pilots trying to do a simple landing and cannot control their own drone 1ft off the groudn let alone 200ft up flying 30mph+ it just, idk as i said i dont have this drone so i cannot comment on its reliabilty but alot of the crash videos i have seen have been those who do not have alot of experiance flying.

RC Competitor
    I made this thread before i saw that there was a new update

RC Qualifier
    For sure that is true. However, there have been a few well documented cases where there is no known cause and no apparent reason to blame the pilot (mine for example). Those are really the ones that people are nervous about. I haven't seen anyone in the forums that doesn't understand that pilot error is the most common cause of crashes.

Larry

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryTru View Post
    For sure that is true. However, there have been a few well documented cases where there is no known cause and no apparent reason to blame the pilot (mine for example). Those are really the ones that people are nervous about. I haven't seen anyone in the forums that doesn't understand that pilot error is the most common cause of crashes.

Larry
    Hi Larry,

I was also one of those unexplainable crashes. Hence the thought to roll my firmware back

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryTru View Post

Larry
    Hi Larry,

I was also one of those unexplainable crashes. Hence the thought to roll my firmware back

RC poster
    I have been flying 1-2 battery packs daily for the past 6 days with the updated firmware(3.3.2.5) and have not had any issues. Have been flying in all 3 of the modes(film,sport,expert), using the air brakes a lot and changing flight modes in the air. I have also used Return to Home several times.

I have no way to say for sure there isn't a software issue, but mine has been perfect thus far(knock on wood).

Just figured I'd add my 2 cents, since I'm not seeing a lot of people writing about not having issues. And that makes sense most only write when they have an issue.

I'm sure there are lots of people who have done the update and have not had any issues.
    Last edited by bryman021; 01-27-2016 at 07:29 PM.

RC Racer
    I also did the update and no issues at all.
    Fly it like you stole it!

RC Qualifier
    Unless your 5 or more miles from anything electrical, you cannot rule out some kind of interference by something. Seems weird a couple of you folks aton just has a mind of its own and takes off. When you folks update to the new firmware, let us know if your still having issues. Maybe look around your area of flying to see if there could be something emitting radio waves that could interfere with your aton's. Cell towers, radio towers, cop towers or private businesses.

RC Racer
    Just curiouse. Have a thought. Everyone post up the sd card model, size and brand you used for the update.
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

RC Qualifier
    San Disk HC 32Gb class 10
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC Racer
    There are a number of issues which could be going wrong. But in my experience i have seen similar issues to this be caused by several different problems.

Poor Compass Health : which relates to a un calibrated compass or compass going bad.
    Gps module going bad.
    Conflicting compass and gps readings. : possible due to calibration problems.
    and even
    Firmware conflict

Mission planner has a built in diagnostic runtime that will let you know when there is an issue or sensing a possible issue. If you plug in your aton via usb to mission planner once linked if it reads back an issue in regards to compass health there is a possible problem. Your compass could not be calibrated properly, lost calibration or not receiving any feedback all together.

This type of error can also cause conflicting information being received by the gps. A gps going bad can create its own share of conflicting information or no data at all.

My experiences include 2 atons. 1 aton was not updated and had 1 aton was updated to newer firmware and had an issue. But then again the aton that had an issue was also showing poor compass health and was showing a direction offset to be nearly 90 degrees off of true heading.

With the failsafe built in and what i have see with the presets on firmware. The Aton has failsafes enabled out of the box.
    Failsafe enables when a conflict arises, low battery, out of range of home point, etc.

If a gps goes bad and reads an improper gps coordinate issues can occur. If the gps coordinate reflected is outside the geofence it will initiate return to home. If gps is not working properly but shows to have a satellite link it can even attempt a return to home even though there is a problem and never even reach home.

So keep this in mind.
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

I have to believe that Traxxas is aware of these "control issue" threads so hopefully they will respond to these concerns soon. Afterall, from the little I know of them (I've never owned a Traxxas product) I've heard that they have a good reputation for product support.

RC Qualifier
    for everyone that is having an issue, there are many many more that are not..