RC Qualifier

Question Job Situation Advice

I currently setup and operate CNC machines for a company. Im still new to the trade and there's alot to learn so I dont know how to program (sorry guys). Anyway I recently got a job offer from another company making 4$ an hour more, with the possibility of OT. Ive heard good things about the company and I feel like I could learn a lot there. But the situation im in is ive heard of them having lay-offs before. So I emailed them and asked them if theres a chance of getting laid off, they said that the 40 years they've been around its happend twice and they dont go by seniority. But I do have a car payment and other bills that have to be paid. Take the chance possibly further my machining capabilities knowing that layoff is possible? Stay where im at, make less, learn no more than I already know, but basically no chance of layoff? Opinions?

Without risk there is no reward. There is nothing wrong with you asking for some clarification and want to make sure that you are making a good decision. If you have the opportunity to make more money per hour, chance of overtime, good benefits and career advancement then go for it.
    For future reference when thinking about it: when you interview for a company, interview the company as well. Being on an interview panel before you get to know those that have interest in your company by those that ask questions to verify not only if you will be a good fit for them but that the company will be a good fit for you.
    That question may come up: why do you want to work for us? Mention the opportunity to learn and advance your career, maybe they have a good mission statement or by word-of-mouth they have a decent reputation.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-27-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Successful people did not make it to where they are at today by not risking nothing. However, successful people do not risk their wealth blindly either. Look at what industry the potential company supports. Are they well diverse in who they support? Is $4 an hour worth it? What is the salary cap for the position their and with the company you are currently with? What is your ultimate goals with both companies? How stable do you feel now? Do you think the move will benefit you in the long run?

When do you move from a job depends on what you REALLY know about a company and what you REALLY know about where you are working now..

I made Employee of the year at the same company that laid me off 2 months later. Worked there for 7 years. Worked for another fortune 500 company and the .com crash came and I was 1 of 600 engineers laid off all at the same time and from the same county.

But the experience I gained from those 2 places helped me move on-wards and upwards. 1 of them helped me finish off my college degree so can't complain there.

So the thing you need to learn is what are the gains from making the move Vs. what are the losses.

And NEVER believe a company that says they don't lay people off. Hey if they lay you off it's basically being fired. I bet they have fired a few people....

WHo you need to speak to are people who work there or their suppliers. Then, you will hear the real skinny.....

Experience Vs. money. Depends on how old you are and what financial obligations you have..... Anytime I could grab a job that offere me a move up and more experience, more training I found out as much as I could before I made my move. SOmetimes I did some times I didn't..

I currently have been at the same company 15 years. Pay is OK, job security is there and is a must when supporting a household of 5. A wife 2 boys and now my mother. IF it wasn't for my experience I doubt I could be pulling this off. Education too.....

As far as programming a CNC machine, I could not stress enough to take whatever courses or books you can find on that and learn it to it's utmost capacity... However the U.S. is really tough in the machining, extrusion and fabrication market... So much has gone overseas...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I agree with Double G. Sometimes you just have to take a risk. While I don't condone playing the system, this is why there is unemployment. Should you happen to be laid off.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Just feel like where im at now is a dead end, but the job security is definitely there. The other company makes blow/injection molds for plastic bottle companies, and parts for sony blue ray players. Ive left where im at now a year ago, to another company that was making products for the plumbing/oil field industry. I liked it there but the drive was terrible and it was in kansas, live in KC Missouri so i was paying taxes in both states. But it was a situation where I was promised learning opportunities and after a year i realized I was going to be stuck on 2nd shift working with the same 5 and 9 axis lathes. I guess thats why im kinda leery about leaving. I know theres better opportunities out there then where im at now. But if I leave again I kind of doubt they'll take me back. Im also a 3rd shift lead where im at now and if i take the other job id just be setup/operator. Yea unfortunately alot does get sent over seas. I love what i do, its hard to think of anything id rather be doing. Currently i dont have alot of obligations i have my car payment, cheap rent through my brother and some small bills. But i am single with no kids so i dont have anyone to support.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    It sounds like if ever in your life there will be a "safe" time to take a chance, it is now.

I recently left wal mart to join a locally (family) owned lumber yard. I took a small pay cut per hour. But I was maxed out at Wal-Mart and had nowhere to go. My wife and I have our first child on the way. I was scared to death, but now couldn't be happier.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D