RC Competitor

Steering servo help.

Hey guys,

My steering servo on my mini Revo is clicking won't turn either direction. When I disconnect it from the steering assembly it works. As soon as I connect it back to the steering assembly again it stops turning and starts clicking.

The plan was to add a second stock steering servo before this happened. But now I'm thinking maybe I should just get 2 of the SAVOX 250mg steering servos. Are these better then stock? And is one SAVOX 250mg better then running 2 stock servos?

Thanks in advance.

The savox servos are a million times better than the stock ones. It would be a lot less hassle to run one savox instead of 2.
    Too much power is just enough

RC Competitor
    Is it worth it running 2 SAVOX servos? Or would it be too much, overkill?

One savox is enough

RC Champion
    In order to successfully run two you need to fabricate some sort of adjustable link for one of them.
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Thanks traxxasfan21.

dacaur, would the same type of fabrication be needed to run 2 stock traxxas steering servos as well?

Yes it would

RC Champion
    Reason being, your your servo arm goes on a splined shaft, so has a finite number of positions available. You could get lucky, and end up having the solid link be exactly the right length, bit more likely it won't be, so the servos would constantly fight each other, any time the truck is plugged in. Making one link adjustable allows you to find tune it do that doesn't happen.
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Reason being, your your servo arm goes on a splined shaft, so has a finite number of positions available. You could get lucky, and end up having the solid link be exactly the right length, bit more likely it won't be, so the servos would constantly fight each other, any time the truck is plugged in. Making one link adjustable allows you to find tune it do that doesn't happen.
    dacaur, thanks for breaking It down for me great explanation! By any chance do you know the difference in torque between the stock traxxas servo and the savox servo?

RC Champion
    No, but its a lot. I would guess about double, judging solely by the seat of my pants....
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    No, but its a lot. I would guess about double, judging solely by the seat of my pants....
    Lol, thanks. I actually just looked it up and the Traxxas 2080 40oz. vs 69oz. SAVOX. So about 29oz. of torque difference.

RC Competitor
    Just found out about BlueBird 390 Steering servo which is 75oz. of torque.
    Last edited by TonyTorque; 01-28-2016 at 03:07 PM.

RC Champion
    Yea you can save a few bucks on that one but you have to waterproof it on your own, if you care about keeping it wateproof.
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Yea you can save a few bucks on that one but you have to waterproof it on your own, if you care about keeping it wateproof.
    It's actually a couple dollars more then the savox. And wouldn't mind it not being water proof. What I want is a steering servo with enough torque to be equivalent to the torque produced from running 2 stock traxxas servos.

RC Competitor
    Ended up going with the 1 Savox servo and its good. But I will mention if you tighten up the knuckle set screws if you will, the Savox does have the torque to turn the wheels you have to keep them snug but too much. If the're too loose it will have a ton of play and it will throw your camber off. Might have to add one of the Permatex thread lockers, to try and keep the set screws from getting loose.

I am curious about what 2 Savox servos would be like though....

It would be overkill

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasfan21 View Post
    It would be overkill
    Your mostlikely right, but I might just try it. Since I have to buy another for my basher I'm going to build.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTorque View Post
    Ended up going with the 1 Savox servo and its good. But I will mention if you tighten up the knuckle set screws if you will, the Savox does have the torque to turn the wheels you have to keep them snug but too much. If the're too loose it will have a ton of play and it will throw your camber off. Might have to add one of the Permatex thread lockers, to try and keep the set screws from getting loose.

I am curious about what 2 Savox servos would be like though....
    Was it drop-in or had to mod to fit? And what's the model number of your new waterproof servo? (If you recommend it as an upgrade )
    E-Revo VXL 1/16 Brushless TSM & TQi 2.4GHz Radio

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperor03 View Post
    Was it drop-in or had to mod to fit? And what's the model number of your new waterproof servo? (If you recommend it as an upgrade )
    Direct drop in, just had to reverse the steering. Definitely un upgrade from the stock servo.

SAVOX SW-0250MG

Bought mine on ebay for about $28 shipped.
    Last edited by TonyTorque; 02-10-2016 at 01:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    There is probably a tooth broken on a gear in the servo. That is what it was for me. Buy Traxxas metal gears for that servo, or get the Savox.

RC Competitor
    I would recommend just getting a Savox servo or bluebird servo. I have the blue bird and it's wonderful. Only problem is that it's not waterproof. Running 2 powerful servos I think would be unnecessary and may lead to damaging the servos because of the fighting going on with the link being not a perfect length. You could also buy a hitec servo, not sure what the model number is. The waterproof one is a bit bigger, so you would need to make it fit somehow. Anyway, I would just go with one servo.

RC Enthusiast
    The Savox servos are waterproof now.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FastS197 View Post
    The Savox servos are waterproof now.
    ^^Have heard nothing but good news about the Savox servos.