RC Enthusiast

2x4 Stampede VXL - running 3s with stock gearing?

Hey all,

Just got a 2x4 stampede VXL. Love it, just got it as a cheap(ish) basher to upgrade over time. Also I may or may not have split the chassis after a nasty jump landing at the skatepark yesterday... :| Haha but my question is in regards to running lipo, which I'm new to.

I have a 2s and run it most of the time instead of the stock. But man, I just love a little more speed. I was wondering, is it safe to run a 3s with stock gearing when doing bashing/offroad stuff? I honestly don't run the throttle very hard most of the time, I'd just punch it before jumps and such to get a lot of air. My first TRX was a Revo 3.3 first gen, and I love that you could get the 45mph top speed anywhere with nitro - with electric it seems like around 30-35 is the best you'll get when going offroad without overheating.

So could I get away with 3s offroad, using stock gearing? Thanks!

RC Champion
    Yes, you can run 3s with stock gearing. Whether you will have heat issues depends on your driving style. Give it a try and check temps every few minutes. If you start running hot, try dropping a couple teeth on the pinion and try again.

Skateparks are so much fun but so brutal!

RC Enthusiast
    Great, thanks! I was hoping the answer would be yes.

And yeah... I'm used to driving 4x4, and its harder to get backflips with a 2x4 - didn't quite make it all the way through the flip. Apparently landing on pavement on the "hood" portion of the body is especially rough on the chassis.

Thanks again for the help!

Best wishes,

DI