Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Spoke To Traxxas Tech Support About On-Board Audio System...

I have the 2wd Robby Gordon edition and I called Traxxas to see if I can add the OBA (On-Board Audio) system to my vehicle. The tech at Traxxas said I have to solder on a JST plug to the XL5 ESC but it can be done. But then he said since he can't actually tell me how to do it, he recommended me go to the Traxxas forums and there is a guy on here (if you search the On-board Audio XL1) who shows how it can be done. I tried searching for that thread but can't find it. I even used quotes but I guess it was too specific b/c nothing came up. I got a bunch of other results when I wasn't as specific but I'm not seeing detailed pics of how to do it in any of the threads I've found.

The tech said it's really well done and a lot of the Traxxas employees that monitor this Traxxas forum all feel it looks really good and is well done by this hobbist. But he said it's one of those things that they can't tell people how to do.

Can anyone give me a link to this thread he's talking about or another one that shows how it can be done?

Also, since my radio doesn't have the neutral switch (to rev the engine when in idle), can I still use my Traxxas radio for it to work? If I used my own 3-channel radio, can I get the 3rd channel to rev the engine in idle?

RC Competitor
    It is that easy.
    You will need to solder the correct jst connector (male/female, don't remember) to the esc (battery) wires.

In the event that the esc is a series connection, like the e revo, you still have to solder to the esc power (battery) wires. DO NOT BACK PROBE A SINGLE BATTERY, Don't ask me how I know that.

As to your tx. I believe you will be without the nuetral funtion.
    You can buy a new Tx and bind it if you need the nuetral function.

You will also have to plug the OBA module into the Rx and the throttle plug into the OBA module.
    I believe this is all you need to do, I'm going off memory.
    I did this to my e revo a while ago.

I can type this up better and post pics when I get home tonight if you like.
    Last edited by cobra1540; 01-29-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    Fix it it till it's broke.

RC Racer
    Thanks cobra1540! Pics and more details would be great! I have the Slash, so I can use my radio, it just won't have the neutral feature right? So I only need to buy the OBA system and speakers? Will I still be able to turn the speakers off if I don't want them on or will it always be on?

I found the OBA system for only $20 on ebay, the speakers are harder to find at a decent price but I figured if this works the way it should it will be worth it.

Thanks for helping me with this!

RC Qualifier
    The ESC designed for OBA has an extra red/black power cable to feed power to the OBA module. By soldering and splicing, you'd be adding that cable and connector. The red/black cable would need the male JST connector on it.

Then you would remove the throttle cable from the receiver channel 2 and plug it into a female coming from the OBA. This cable connection can be left inside the receiver box. Another cable (grey connector) coming from the OBA will now plug into the throttle channel 2. For Neutral to work, you'll need a three channel transmitter and plug the Neutral cable (green connector) into channel 3.

Blue connection feeds the speakers

The OBA module has an on/off switch and a volume control.
    On a Slash 4x4 you may also need the OBA mount #6587 Ask the bay seller about that mount.
    You will probably also need the doubled sided adhesive rings for the speakers #6581.
    Last edited by Electromen; 01-29-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Competitor
    Electromen, gave a good step by step.

I can't upload any pics, I'll try again tomorrow or later tonight.

Be careful about the caps in my last post.
    I sliced and soldered the wires (red/black) on my e revo close to the esc, it worked but wasn't easy.
    On my slash PE I slid the terminals out of the traxxas battery connector (esc side) and soldered the jst plug wires to the "blade" in the connector.

This was much easier, cleaner, allowed me to heat shrink the wires to avoid corrosion in the future and easier to secure with zip ties.

I'll be redoing my e revo the same way soon.

I'm trying a different hosting site.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by cobra1540 View Post
    I'll be redoing my e revo the same way soon.

I'm trying a different hosting site.
    Just curious, which hosting site do you use? I use photobucket.com and it's slow and can be a real pain!

RC Racer
    By the way....I don't have to use photobucket anymore!!! They're site is down right now anyway. No more having to upload photos and videos which takes forever.

I figured out a way using Google Photos, click on the pic in Google Photos, then right click the pic and select "copy image address", paste the image link into the forum with [img] (BEFORE the pic link) and [/img] AFTER the pic link)

Copy & Paste BEFORE Photo Link
    [img]

Copy & Paste AFTER Photo Link
    [/img]

Here's a test photo of my Losi Micro SCT (modded of course)...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 01-29-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Nickerz, this may be the thread your looking for...
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-XO-1-with-OBA
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Nickerz, this may be the thread your looking for...
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-XO-1-with-OBA
    Thanks JerrysMaxx! Wow, that is a clean install!!!! Appreciate ya finding this.

RC Competitor
    I was trying imageshack and photobucket, no joy.

I see the thread linked is Regularguy.
    He's the one that helped me with my OBA install, super nice and very helpful.

It is a very clean install on his x01.

I'll try uploading some pics again tonight when I get home.

RC Competitor
    Wow, my internet is terrible lately.
    I finally got some pics uploaded.

This is how your Rx should look.
    As stated above, remove the plug from the throttle channel (2) and plug into the female plug on the OBA.
    Remember channel 1 to turn, channel 2 to burn.
    Gray> channel 2, green >channel3.

This is where I wired the jst plug into the esc wires.
    It's the easiest to solder and protect.
    If you plan to power a fan or two you may want to solder more than one jst connector here or make a splitter with multiple jst connectors you can plug into the one soldered to the esc wires.
    Remember. Do not do this to the battery side of the plug on a series connection, like the e revo.
    It will smoke the wires going to the esc.

I hope this helps.
    I owe Regularguy for helping me with this one.

BTW, I spoke to traxxas support after my mishap.
    I told them what happened and they told me the same thing.
    That I should look to the community for help, they would not be responsible for telling me how to do this.
    I respect them for this.

Now, go make some noise. LOL.

RC Racer
    That is awesome, thanks for sharing the details and pics cobra1540!!! Very good tip about the JST wire soldered to the ESC connector end instead of the ESC case. I'm gonna do that too, along with maybe splitter in case I do use a fan.

As for the speakers...I have a 2wd and I think both the 2wd & 4wd use the same exact bodies right? I read on an ebay listing that the OBA speakers connect to a special OBA body for 4x4. Is this true or do the speakers mount to any Slash SCT body? Isn't it just double-sided taped onto the body or is it screwed into the body?

One last question, anyone know if the OBA can be setup to work with a non-Traxxas vehicle, like the ECX Torment? I'm assuming no b/c the OBA system needs to be plugged into a Traxxas ESC or can this be modified to work with a 3rd party ESC like on the Torment?
    Last edited by Nickerz; 01-31-2016 at 11:43 PM.

RC Competitor
    I don't think the OBA will work with other products.

The speaker brackets are screwed to the slash body, the sides of it.
    The voice coil of the speaker/driver are connected to the body with double sided adhesive foam donuts.

Stick with the slash body or prepare to do some modding to the speakr brackets.

Check electromens post # 4, he listed the parts as #6581

I'm 99% sure the 2wd and 4x4 bodies are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra1540 View Post
    I don't think the OBA will work with other products.

The speaker brackets are screwed to the slash body, the sides of it.
    The voice coil of the speaker/driver are connected to the body with double sided adhesive foam donuts.

Stick with the slash body or prepare to do some modding to the speakr brackets.

Check electromens post # 4, he listed the parts as #6581

I'm 99% sure the 2wd and 4x4 bodies are the same.
    I beg to differ as the link I posted has OBA in a XO-1. I believe it would work in other brands as long as it's wired correctly. There are other OBA electronics out there I have seen it in plane's and is capable of downloading specific sounds to your needs. I have seen one's for vehicles but they do not have the same quality as Traxxas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryFiNl6-kH0
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 02-01-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I put speakers on a ProLine Blockbuster body. I had to cut the speaker frame and mount it to the body. At first it didn't work very well because I had the screws too tight. Once a adjusted that, it worked well.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Racer
    Guess what came today!? I bought the OBA system & speakers off eBay (as a combo) and it came packaged up... very impressed. Looks like it came straight from Traxxas

And the JST plug is soldered to the ESC connector lead ( thanks for the tip cobra1540!) and it tucks away if it's unplugged so it looks like it was meant to be...

Last edited by cooleocool; 02-24-2018 at 10:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I see a potential problem. The voltage from the battery can 8.4 volts or more and can be up to 12 volts on 3s. The voltage going to the OBA should be 6.0 volts. The ESC designed for the OBA has a second red/black cable that feeds the OBA Module. The voltage on this cable is 6.0 volts and is regulated by the BEC inside the ESC. Depending on battery voltage you could damage the OBA unit. You would be better off soldering into the red/black on the 6 volt side of the ESC.
    Last edited by Electromen; 02-05-2016 at 04:47 AM.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Qualifier
    You could leave the red wire soldered to the ID connector in case you ever decide to install Telemetry. The red wire will give you battery voltage when connected to a voltage sensor with Telemetry installed.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    I see a potential problem. The voltage from the battery can 8.4 volts or more and can be up to 12 volts on 3s. The voltage going to the OBA should be 6.0 volts. The ESC designed for the OBA has a second red/black cable that feeds the OBA Module. The voltage on this cable is 6.0 volts and is regulated by the BEC inside the ESC. Depending on battery voltage you could damage the OBA unit. You would be better off soldering into the red/black on the 6 volt side of the ESC.
    Are you sure? I don't see any difference in the ESC's. PN#'s are the same as all the other X:-5 ESC's.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Are you sure? I don't see any difference in the ESC's. PN#'s are the same as all the other X:-5 ESC's.
    Yes, I'm positive. The XL-5 ESC with OBA, looks like THIS
    See the extra set of red & black wires coming out of the ESC near the battery wires? It has a red connector on it, that's for the OBA module.
    The one without OBA looks like THIS
    As far as I know they have the same part #3018R
    The same is true with the Brushless motor and Velineon VXL-3s Electronic Speed Control Part # 3355R. It can be purchased with and without the OBA wires
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Qualifier
    PLEASE READ.
    I just measured the voltage on the red/black connector coming from the ESC to the OBA. It is battery voltage. With 2s it read 7+ with 3s it read 11+.
    So the OP is good to go with his soldering job.
    Receiver voltage is 6.0 volts which is fed from the BEC inside the ESC.
    Last edited by Electromen; 02-05-2016 at 09:24 AM.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    I was wrong about the voltage, please read post #21
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Racer
    Thx Electromen for confirming! When I get it all together I'll update this thread, along with pics of my install.

By the way... the speakers can bolt on to any of the Slash bodies (at least that's what the eBay seller told me) but the bodies that come with the OBA setup apparently have body mounts for the speakers to screw into. So I'll see how it goes. Should be straightforward.

RC Qualifier
    Here are photos of where to make the holes

Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Racer

It WORKS!!!

Thx again Electromen!! Those pics helped! And thx again to Cobra1540 which helped me connect everything to the receiver right the first time!!!

I haven't attached the speakers yet, will have to this evening after work but when I placed them in my standard Slash body/shell (blue one) they fit snug and PERFECTLY!!! Just have to drill the holes and screw them in!!!!!

Here's a video of me connecting everything and turning it on for the first time (when I placed the speakers in the body it was a BIG difference in sound b/c the speaker sound bounces off the body and makes it VERY loud...I had to turn down the volume) but at first I thought something was wrong b/c I couldn't hear the sound...no issues at all so far...

https://youtu.be/eqfO4vy8c0c
    Last edited by Nickerz; 02-05-2016 at 04:00 PM.

RC Racer

It's COMPLETE!!!

Here's the finished product. Hopefully Traxxas would think they installed this! Let me know what ya think and thanks for everyone's help!

Here's the video...
    https://youtu.be/6o2QbMM_oOk

YOU CAN SEE THE DIMPLE ON THE WINDOW AND THIS MAKES IT EASY TO KNOW WHERE TO DRILL THE HOLE (I USED AN X-ACTO KNIFE)...

Last edited by cooleocool; 02-24-2018 at 10:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like a factory installation, good job.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

Excellent job!
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Competitor
    Wish I had received some notifications, I missed a lot of posts.

Install looks great.
    FYI> the OBA will work up to and including 6S.
    I don't remember where I saw that info, but I'm 99% sure regularguy posted it somewhere after talking with traxxas customer support.

Have fun making some noise Nickerz.

I just watched your video and saw the long antenna.
    You can shorten the antenna TUBE, not the antenna wire, without any problems.
    I did this on my merv. It looks better and works great.
    Last edited by cobra1540; 02-06-2016 at 07:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Great point about the antenna. I'm worried if I shorten it by fitting more of it into the receiver box that the range will be worse. Right now I lose the signal about 100-150ft away. I've always had issues running rc anything near my house. The only thing that solved it was a spektrum radio for my Micro T-28 and my Airtronics radio for my cars. But I do love the shorter antenna look. Maybe I'lll try it and see what happens.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Spektrum radios are actually pretty notorious for having the worst range.... but even they go further than 150 feet away. Something is wrong with that.....

As far as the antenna, I currently run a FlySky, but have run Traxxas rx in the past, and have just wrapped the wires around the receiver in the box. Never had any issues with range, they will go until I can't see them anymore, and if I can't see it, going more would be pointless....

RC Racer
    True... I've heard a lot of complaints about spektrum too but more for surface radios but for my planes my DX6i has worked great.

I had a FlySky too, then a radio & tried using new receivers and nothing but glitching issues. I had the issues at my house and at the race track but definitely more noticeable at my house. It's funny b/c one end of my street has all the issues but the other end is fine. Companies who make radios and want to test their range and quality should test them in front of my house - lol! Only my Airtronics MT-4S isn't affected near my house. I'm sure Futaba would be fine too.

I'm gonna play around to test the range a little more & report back.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-08-2016 at 08:52 AM.

RC Competitor
    You could pull the antenna wire down the tube to a height that'll keep it under the body and try it before you actually cut anything.
    If it makes things worse push it back up the tube to the top and cap it.

RC Racer
    Nice... I'll try that first.

RC poster
    Let's take a step back to the past, to the days of yesteryear. I have a first generation slash 4x4 brushless 2.4ghz but not aTQi. 2 channel. Can I install the OBA on it?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by robvanderzanden View Post
    Let's take a step back to the past, to the days of yesteryear. I have a first generation slash 4x4 brushless 2.4ghz but not aTQi. 2 channel. Can I install the OBA on it?
    yes you can. the OBA will work fine with a 2 channel. the third channel only allows you to effectively put the truck in neutral to REV. the audio will work regardless and the power button is on the module its self

RC poster
    Thanks to this thread and eBay I now got oba installed in my slash sounds sweet ,if it wasn't for you guys if be out an extra 30$ for a new esc thanks for all the info and pics helped a lot wasn't as hard to do as I thought

RC poster
    Can any one tell me what's the reason the ova is cutting off while running for awhile is it ment too or is something messed up any help or insite would be great

RC Competitor
    It will cut out after 10 or so seconds of no throttle input, then come back on after it sees throttle input again.

RC poster
    It's cutting out while running it for awhile then if you stop it will turn back on for few seconds then back off so the car is in motion when it's cutting off I mean it's a good long while of running it only one thing I could this it possibly is . I baleve the battery was starting to die
    Last edited by Rcracer81; 03-10-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast