Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just pulled the trigger

Bought a new 7908 off a dealer on ebay.
    Can't wait for it to get here.
    Looking forward to learning about GPS and the flying characteristics of a decent size brushless. Been flying an Alias for the last few months.

Just put a couple of battery packs through mine at lunch, you are going to love it!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTanker View Post
    Just put a couple of battery packs through mine at lunch, you are going to love it!
    Any chance of putting up a video to show it in flight? Mine is getting to my hobby shop on Tuesday, and I can't wait!

RC Qualifier
    Show some video of that sweet thing. Will probably get mine in the spring after I get some more practice with my alias.

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!! Looking forward to the footage!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTanker View Post
    Awesome!
    Stupid question... The battery enclosure, is it longer to accept a 5000mah battery, or taller/wider? Does the 3000mah pack slide around inside?
    Also, what are you getting for real world flight time with 3000mah in mode 2/sport?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    Awesome!
    Stupid question... The battery enclosure, is it longer to accept a 5000mah battery, or taller/wider? Does the 3000mah pack slide around inside?
    Also, what are you getting for real world flight time with 3000mah in mode 2/sport?
    The compartment is plenty big, the 3000 fits perfect, I believe the 5000 is almost identical in size. I'll know for sure next week when my 5000 comes. As for real world flight time (3000mah) my first sport flight clocked in at 18 minutes 33 seconds and my second brought 17 something. These were pretty aggressive flights with a lot of wind, I was very impressed.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesnumber3 View Post
    The compartment is plenty big, the 3000 fits perfect, I believe the 5000 is almost identical in size. I'll know for sure next week when my 5000 comes. As for real world flight time (3000mah) my first sport flight clocked in at 18 minutes 33 seconds and my second brought 17 something. These were pretty aggressive flights with a lot of wind, I was very impressed.
    Here's the curious thing: both the Traxxas 3300 and 4000 3s batteries are smaller and lighter than the stock 3000 battery and have a 25c discharge rate. You get more run time and more performance since they are lighter. I'm glad that I had a few of them lying around. Buy them while you still can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesnumber3 View Post
    Music to my ears, that's what I wanted to hear! Sport mode will be my most used I'm thinking. Seriously salivating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    Here's the curious thing: both the Traxxas 3300 and 4000 3s batteries are smaller and lighter than the stock 3000 battery and have a 25c discharge rate. You get more run time and more performance since they are lighter. I'm glad that I had a few of them lying around. Buy them while you still can.
    Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Any body had a significant crash yet? If so, how did Aton make out?

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the heads up. Question would be, would the smaller (in size) batteries move around in the compartment? Not sure if I should spring for the 4000mah 25c or just wait for the 5000mah 20c to come in stock at my LHS.

Quote Originally Posted by MiStro View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Question would be, would the smaller (in size) batteries move around in the compartment? Not sure if I should spring for the 4000mah 25c or just wait for the 5000mah 20c to come in stock at my LHS.
    Yes, I'm interested in that as well. Maybe a piece of foam would be needed?

RC Qualifier
    cut a piece of form from a box to fit the compartment then trim up to fit the battery. Will be keeping an eye on these threads to learn before I buy. Still learning the basics with my alias.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    cut a piece of form from a box to fit the compartment then trim up to fit the battery. Will be keeping an eye on these threads to learn before I buy. Still learning the basics with my alias.
    Yeah, I'm going to take it VERY easy with the Aton when it arrives. I've only been flying RC since about April 2015 and although I've learned quite a few things (especially what NOT to do Lol) the size and speed of the Aton will keep me humble for a while I'm sure.

RC Qualifier
    I don't care for the long legs. Am hoping an after market skids type is made (like you see on helicopters).

I don't care for the long legs. Am hoping an after market skids type is made (like you see on helicopters).
    I wondered about that too... It seems you'd have more smooth landings with any sort of forward/backward motion with skids instead of legs that basically just want to stick where they hit. Not sure.

RC Qualifier
    When I get mine, may try making my own skids.

RC poster
    The long legs are ok. Obviously they are there to protect the GoPro. Landing isn't too bad with them on. I have been landing on snow and ice and they have worked well.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    Nice!!! Looking forward to the footage!
    I have two videos on YouTube. One is day flying and one is night flying. Both were taken in Flight mode. Both days were cold and with about a 20mph wind.

RC Qualifier
    How about a link for the video.

RC poster
    How about a link for the video.
    https://youtu.be/MwfthzQBRQA
    https://youtu.be/-ypp4Ed-ec4

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Did the wind catch you in the second video or were you playing around? The motor sounds powerful compared to the alias. Might have to order one sooner than I thought. Does it have an auto hover that will keep it in one place and hover? My alias has never been able to just hover so am looking for this feature. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpetrich View Post
    The long legs are ok. Obviously they are there to protect the GoPro. Landing isn't too bad with them on. I have been landing on snow and ice and they have worked well.
    Good point about snow, or any puddles/mud etc.

Thanks for feeding my Aton hunger!
    :>)
    Just out of curiosity, with good GPS availability, how much time elapses from battery insertion to lift off (all four leds lit)?

RC poster
    Thanks. Did the wind catch you in the second video or were you playing around? The motor sounds powerful compared to the alias. Might have to order one sooner than I thought. Does it have an auto hover that will keep it in one place and hover? My alias has never been able to just hover so am looking for this feature. Thanks for the link.
    Yes, the wind was getting really strong in the second video (and not that it matters but it was like 15 degrees out!). Motors seem very powerful to me as well. Have no problem heading into a strong head wind. Yes, in Flight mode the Aton will hold its position and does a really good job with that. Make it much easier to take some cool video.

RC poster
    I would say the quickest was 30 seconds. The longest being a minute. I trimmed that footage off of the videos. :-) It finds the GPS signal pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpetrich View Post
    I would say the quickest was 30 seconds. The longest being a minute. I trimmed that footage off of the videos. :-) It finds the GPS signal pretty quickly.
    OK thanks, that's in line with what I was guessing. I'll need to practice some patience because I'm used to slamming a new battery into the Alias and immediately throwing it into the air. Lol!

RC Enthusiast
    Is this the 4000mah battery you're referencing? Part# 2849X. Don't want to order a couple and it be the wrong one.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to take it VERY easy with the Aton when it arrives. I've only been flying RC since about April 2015 and although I've learned quite a few things (especially what NOT to do Lol) the size and speed of the Aton will keep me humble for a while I'm sure.
    If you want to take it easy, camera mode makes an excellent trainer. When you "outgrow" that you can step it up to sport mode and have more fun. It's as simple as pushing a stick. I am by no means a good pilot. I did most of my training (and crashing) on the Alias. Fortunately my Aton was able to take a few rough landings without any adverse effects.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 01-04-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeShabado View Post
    Is this the 4000mah battery you're referencing? Part# 2849X. Don't want to order a couple and it be the wrong one.
    Yes, that's the one I was using. It's a "sweet spot". Not as heavy as the 5000, but 10 minutes more run time than the stock one. The wires just need to be coiled in there a little bit.

If you want to take it easy, camera mode makes an excellent trainer. When you "outgrow" that you can step it up to sport mode and have more fun. It's as simple as pushing a stick. I am by no means a good pilot. I did most of my training (and crashing) on the Alias. Fortunately my Aton was able to take a few rough landings without any adverse effects.
    Yes, that's the one I was using. It's a "sweet spot". Not as heavy as the 5000, but 10 minutes more run time than the stock one. The wires just need to be coiled in there a little bit.
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered one and the bigger battery you mentioned. That battery will be able to be charged with the charger that comes with the aton, correct?
    Just watching the videos you folks posted and listening to the power of those motors got my attention. Now the wait begins.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 01-04-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Yes your charger will work for both the 3000mAh iD or the 5000mAh iD batteries.
    Traxxas has a new 5000mAh battery pack that is an easier fit in the Aton, 2831X. The 2872X fits, it is just very tight.
    Last edited by ArmyTanker; 01-04-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Traxxas Employee
    The stock charger is an iD balance charger. It will work with any Traxxas iD LiPo batteries, including the 2849x. It won't work with the first generation plugs on older Traxxas LiPo batteries. Older Traxxas LiPo batteries will still work in the Aton though, you just need a separate charger like the 2970.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Got just one 4000 added to my cart when I purchased the aton for now. Can't wait for winter to end now!

Thanks. Got just one 4000 added to my cart when I purchased the aton for now. Can't wait for winter to end now!
    Awesome! I'm still waffling between 4000 and 5000mah

RC Qualifier
    The weight mentioned above on the 5000 was the reason why I went with the 4000.

Traxxas Employee
    The weight mentioned above on the 5000 was the reason why I went with the 4000.
    This probably depends more on your intended use. If you are using it with a camara, you want the extra flight time of the 5000 and you don't care about the extra weight. If you want an acrobatic quad, you want lower weight and don't care about flight times.

RC Qualifier
    Whats the flight time difference between the 4000 and 5000 from the original 3000?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast