Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC poster
    133 km/h =82,6mp/h
    Screenshot_20170416-124844 by mikael johansson, on Flickr

engine : Hobbywing Ez-runer 4000kv
    Spur : 27/86

RC Racer

Gear Chart

Just wondering what you guys use for BOTH your Pinion & Spur gears to reach the fastest speed without burning out your motor & ESC. Below is the gear chart in the Traxxas Manual...

Gearing For Speed...
    Pinion (Higher tooth = Faster Speed)
    Spur (Lower tooth = Faster Speed)

Stock Gearing... (See white box in gear chart below, this is what comes installed on your 2wd Slash)
    16T Pinion
    90T Spur

Included (See yellow box in gear chart below, optional "Speed Gears" which is included with your Slash in a parts bag)...
    23T Pinion
    86T Pinion

Gear Chart...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 01-02-2018 at 12:25 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    sorry for interrupt too.
    i tested mine too yesterday. i thought 2s better with stock 7c nimh -.- but it doesn't
    the stock 7c nimh faster 1to2mph than the one 2s 30c 5200mah battery in my brushed motor. or maybe the lipo i buy was a freak T_T, any relate with the c or the brand of battery. LOL..
    but one thing for sure that, the 2s is more play time then the stock, but the speed, just zzz..

p/s my stock 2wd f150 svt goes top at 21.5mph with 7c nimh, then 20.5 with 2s 30c lipo

RC Racer
    65 stock, now I have a couple upgrades and it goes 85

RC Racer

Question Fastest Speed Yet...30MPH

Stock Motor: Titan 12T (came with the truck)
    Stock Battery: 3000mAh, 7-Cell NiMH
    Gears: 31T Pinion
    Gears: 83T Spur

I went to my LHS earlier today and bought a 31T Pinion gear and an 83T Spur gear. This is the fastest gearing in the Traxxas manual chart (see above) and it's not recommended as my motor was hot afterwards. I'm still running my stock motor with my stock NiMH 3000mAh battery.

When I started this thread, I got 18mph with everything stock, including the gearing (16T Pinion and 90T Spur). Then I was able to increase my max speed to to 25mph using the included speed gears (23T Pinion and 86T Spur).

So tonight I strapped in my phone (Galaxy S5 which is now my old beater phone...lol) and used the DigiHUD app and I increased my max speed to now 30mph using the gears listed at the top and which is the fastest my truck has gone! I know, it's still nothing to get excited about. I'll try using my Lipo maybe tomorrow which is 5000mAh 2S 30C but last time there was no difference in speed, which makes since the voltages are similar and some have said they get faster speeds with their NiMH stock battery.

By the way, for some reason I can't get the Traxxas app to work tonight. It connects but the speedo doesn't work like it did the other day. ??? I had this problem when I first bought the stuff to track the speed and I never got it to work back then. But it was working perfectly fine the other day. I tried making sure the little metal magnet was clear (that attaches to the Spur gear) so maybe the wire that goes from the motor cover to the receiver is bad?

Here is a screenshot of my max speed tonight. Again, the Traxxas box says 30+MPH and I've never seen that!

This was from the other day using the Traxxas App which is KPH and is actually 20.5MPH so it worked Monday night but won't work tonight for some reason...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 01-04-2018 at 12:50 AM.

RC Racer
    I found out how to change the KMH to MPH...

Open App>Support>Preferences (scroll down towards the bottom and change "Units" to "mph+F")

Now does anyone know how to get the video recording off the phone? I looked and can't find the file(s).

Here is a pic of my bone stock Slash doing 21MPH this past Monday night 1/1/18...

And I'm still trying to get 30+MPH with what came in the box but can't...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 01-04-2018 at 02:48 AM.

RC Racer

Thumbs down Wow...The Traxxas Link App Is VERY Inaccurate!

Wow...The Traxxas Link App Is VERY Inaccurate!

For those of you boasting about 70+mph (at least from the Traxxas Link App), I'd be very suspicious. Tonight, I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to get it to work again (see post in the Traxxas Link App thread) and when I did I got a blistering 91mph! LOL! Goodness...

Granted, this is using the RPM sensor, so for those of you using the GPS module, maybe that's more accurate. But then I strapped my phone in my Slash using the DigiHUD app and it read again 30mph. Here are the screenshots and I took a screenshot of the model setup for what I ran for my record setting, 91mph 2WD Slash!!

RC Competitor
    I have zero experience in it, but is it possible the app has kph and mph reversed? I know kph is higher then mph, so that might explain the difference. With all the other bugs I have read about, it wouldn't surprise me to hear they have that issue too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmalega View Post
    I have zero experience in it, but is it possible the app has kph and mph reversed? I know kph is higher then mph, so that might explain the difference. With all the other bugs I have read about, it wouldn't surprise me to hear they have that issue too.

Yes, that is possible. By default my speed gauge read KPH when I installed the app but before I did this "91MPH" run, I figured out how to change it to MPH, so it should have read correctly. Even then, if I convert 91KMH to MPH, it would give me 56+MPH which is still way off. I would like to hear from those who have the GPS module as this is supposed to be accurate.

I plan on calling Traxxas today to see what they say...

RC Racer

Thumbs up Traxxas Is Sending Me A New Motor & Pinion Gear Free!!!

Yesterday, I called Traxxas' tech support and spoke to Chris (VERY nice guy) and was having issues with my Traxxas Link App not working on my Note8. This is after I sent them my bluetooth module to have reflashed to fix this known issue with new Android phones. Long story short...I told him about the issue with my motor and it squeaking and yesterday the 16T pinion gear broke when I tried putting it on the motor. He said no worries, I'll send ya out a new motor and pinion!!!! He was so nice about it and tried to help me with my Note8 issue and fixed that too!

I'm still interested in going brushless, so I'll keep ya posted when I do this.

But ya know what...ya can't beat Traxxas and Horizon's Customer support. Granted, there are some techs that just don't care, with any company but because of guys like Chris...I'm going to spend more on their brushless combo when I convert everything to brushless. I'm just not ready yet but I'll do this just because of their support! I've had my frustrations at times but guys like Chris make up for it!!!! Makes sense for them to be generous like Chris was. Sends me a $20 motor and $3 pinion and I'm going to return the favor and buy their brushless system which costs more but this means a lot to me and I want to support that.

It seems now a days...companies lack in providing good support and often times, you can't even call them. I choose companies that have phone support and when you do and it's great like Traxxas and Horizon Hobby...I'm staying loyal to them!

RC Racer

Speed Runs With Trinity Motor & Bolink Motor

I have 2 very old motors. The Trinity motor came off my RC-10 Graphite from the early 90's and the Bolink motor came with my on-road Bolink pan car in the early 90's. Thought I'd test these out on my Traxxas while I'm waiting to get my new motor from them and see what kind of speeds I get...

Trinity Motor...

Earlier this week on 1/27, I was able to get 28MPH (almost 29MPH) with the Trinity motor, 31T Pinion, 83T Spur...

Bolink Motor...

Tonight, I switched the gearing to slower gears when I put the Bolink motor in so it was 23T Pinion, 86T Spur...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 02-01-2018 at 02:48 AM.

Traxxas Marshal
    Man those are some old motors!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    I'm interested in tracking my speed via Traxxas but only if it's accurate of course. So what do I need to get? I have the basic radio & receiver that comes with the basic 2wd RTR. But I'm buying a TQi radio for cheap with the bluetooth module. Do I need to upgrade my receiver or will this work with my stock receiver (Part #: 6519)?

So do I just need to download the app after that? Or do I need to buy a telemetry thingy?

Sorry for all the questions...
    I've been checking into adding the telemetry to my truck also. I have the correct 5 channel receiver (6518). I have a bluetooth tx with the module on the way. The rx has 2 extra ports at the top, 1 for volts or temp, the other for rpm. You need the expander for gps plus the gps module. I don't know what port it uses. It gets rather expensive as the gps adds over $100 to the cost that I've seen. If there's any incorrect info could someone more experienced with this gear correct me.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I've been checking into adding the telemetry to my truck also. I have the correct 5 channel receiver (6518). I have a bluetooth tx with the module on the way. The rx has 2 extra ports at the top, 1 for volts or temp, the other for rpm. You need the expander for gps plus the gps module. I don't know what port it uses. It gets rather expensive as the gps adds over $100 to the cost that I've seen. If there's any incorrect info could someone more experienced with this gear correct me.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    Hey dgechrger469!

I created a thread that may help you. Yes, the GPS module is pricy, having to spend over $100 but I hear it's more accurate. I can't confirm this as I don't have one but I'm using the RPM sensor which is very cheap and you can see more in this thread here...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...lash-MPH-Speed

RC Racer

Got My New Motor & 16T Pinion Gear From Traxxas...

Well, I'm gonna save my 16T Pinion gear for bashing so using the 86T Spur & 23T Pinion, should I do the old run the new motor in water trick? This is what I did with the last new motor and I was able to reach 32MPH with everything stock (Ni-Mh stock battery, speed gears 86T/23T).

The only reason the motor had a short life is b/c I recently did speed runs using a 83T/31T Pinion and my motor was WAY too hot to touch and I noticed the MPH top speed decreasing after each pack I ran.

So does anyone have a better break-in method for new brushed motors? I'll test it out to see what my top speed is and keep updating this thread.

Last edited by Nickerz; 02-08-2018 at 01:17 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I only had 3 brushed motors so my experience isnít so big but motor I break in water last longer and go faster than other wich was passed dry break in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I have done the run a pack dry on the flat road method they recommend, then did the cup of water method. Both are about the same experience now.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    I only had 3 brushed motors so my experience isnít so big but motor I break in water last longer and go faster than other wich was passed dry break in..

Yeah, that's been my experience so far too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmalega View Post
    I have done the run a pack dry on the flat road method they recommend, then did the cup of water method. Both are about the same experience now.

I know Traxxas recommends the dry at 3/4 throttle for the first battery pack and then stopping about every 5 minutes during this time I think to check the temps.

RC Racer

Comparison Of Traxxas (old #2) vs. Bolink Motor

I tested my Bolink motor and got almost 25mph (using 23T Pinion & 83T Spur). Then I put my old Traxxas #2 motor back in and got almost the identical speed using an older Ni-MH 3000mAh Traxxas battery (but it's not the ID technology so it's a lot older).

Then I kept my old Traxxas #2 motor in my truck and tested the speed with my 2S lipo and got almost 1MPH slower...

Bolink Motor (23T / 86T Gearing) Ni-MH Battery:

Traxxas Old Motor #2 (23T / 86T Gearing) Ni-MH Battery (Almost Identical):

Traxxas Old Motor #2 (23T / 86T Gearing) Lipo 2S Battery:

RC Racer

Got My New NiMH Battery

Just adding to my thread/blog...

I haven't used my new motor yet but I bought a new Traxxas NiMH 3000mAh battery from eBay and charged it up for the first time today. I did another speed run with everything stock, using the included speed gears (23T Pinion and 86T Spur) and reached just over 25mph (according to the DigiHUD app). This is still using my old Traxxas Motor #2. First motor came with the truck (burnt that one up), Traxxas sent me a 2nd motor which is what I used tonight (broke it in using the wet method, dunking in water) but this one went down in performance after I over-geared it with 31T / 83T).

So to put this in perspective, I reached 25MPH tonight with...
    - Traxxas motor #2
    - Gearing 23T / 83T
    - NiMH stock battery

...but with this same setup, when my motor was brand new I got 32MPH. The 25MPH I posted a long time ago was actually with 90T Spur, not 83T. This shows how beat up my motor is since I used to get 32MPH using this same setup and now it maxes out at 25MPH. Last time I got 25MPH I was using a 90T Spur not 86T like I did tonight (see my previous posts #1 and #8 above).

So now the next step would be to put the new motor in with this same setup (gearing and battery) and see if I can get 32MPH again or more like I did almost 2 years ago (see post #34).

Now, according to the Traxxas app I reached 31mph tonight (RPM sensor not GPS module). From what I've tested, my Garmin GPS and the DigiHUD app can be 1-2MPH slower than when I used them in my Camry. If this is true, then maybe my truck was reaching 26-27MPH tongiht but it wasn't 31MPH Traxxas. Then again, the RPM sensor isn't as accurate but it sure seem to be generous with it's MPH readings. So the DigiHUD app is what I use for more accurate readings...

Brand new 3000mAh battery and my charger put in 3070mAh for it's first charge (not bad!)...

Here is the DigiHUD app showing 25.16MPH...

Here is the Traxxas app showing a gererous 31MPH (...it wasn't 31MPH, trust me)...

***EDIT***
    Forgot to post some pics of my new battery...

Last edited by Nickerz; 02-18-2018 at 01:23 AM.

RC Racer

Thread/Blog Update...

A guy ended up buying the new battery I bought off ebay (made an extra $5 on it) and he wanted my new brushed motor I got from Traxxas so I ended up selling him both for $55 about 2 weeks ago.

Well, I got a notification in my eBay app this morning so tonight about an hour before it expired I checked if the 20% off would work on the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Fox edition...it did!!! Would have saved me $92 (max savings is $100)! Buuuuuuttttt.....

I didn't pull the trigger. I ended up buying a brushless motor/ESC combo from China (20% worked on it too) for $30.82 shipped for my Slash 2WD since I haven't sold it. Was thinking I'd sell it and buy the Slash 4X4 with TSM, TQi radio and OBA but didn't work out.

So I guess I'm stuck with my Slash 2WD, which is still a blast but a brand new Slash 4WD Fox edition for $368 shipped and no tax was very, very tempting!

Another reason I didn't pull the trigger is I only spent $30 tonight but my RC budget can now afford maybe the new Traxxas Ultimate Desert Racer which is due out soon or the Traxxas X-Maxx 8S. I've been thinking about these 2 vehicles but they sure are expensive. Another thought I had was to simply put a little extra money into my Slash 2WD making it a Monster Slash using the Proline lift kit and big monster tires. So we'll see and maybe the 20% coupon will come around again soon and I can use it for the Monster Slash upgrade!!!! For now, I'm happy with a $30 brushless motor/esc from GoolRC which has the same KV sized motor as the Traxxas VXL-3S so we'll see...

P.S. Just realized other forum emoji's work in here!!! Cool! I'll do some speed runs with my new brushless setup and report back here!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    Stock Motor: Titan 12T (came with the truck)
    Stock Battery: 3000mAh, 7-Cell NiMH
    Gears: 31T Pinion
    Gears: 83T Spur

I went to my LHS earlier today and bought a 31T Pinion gear and an 83T Spur gear. This is the fastest gearing in the Traxxas manual chart (see above) and it's not recommended as my motor was hot afterwards. I'm still running my stock motor with my stock NiMH 3000mAh battery.

When I started this thread, I got 18mph with everything stock, including the gearing (16T Pinion and 90T Spur). Then I was able to increase my max speed to to 25mph using the included speed gears (23T Pinion and 86T Spur).

So tonight I strapped in my phone (Galaxy S5 which is now my old beater phone...lol) and used the DigiHUD app and I increased my max speed to now 30mph using the gears listed at the top and which is the fastest my truck has gone! I know, it's still nothing to get excited about. I'll try using my Lipo maybe tomorrow which is 5000mAh 2S 30C but last time there was no difference in speed, which makes since the voltages are similar and some have said they get faster speeds with their NiMH stock battery.

By the way, for some reason I can't get the Traxxas app to work tonight. It connects but the speedo doesn't work like it did the other day. ??? I had this problem when I first bought the stuff to track the speed and I never got it to work back then. But it was working perfectly fine the other day. I tried making sure the little metal magnet was clear (that attaches to the Spur gear) so maybe the wire that goes from the motor cover to the receiver is bad?

Here is a screenshot of my max speed tonight. Again, the Traxxas box says 30+MPH and I've never seen that!

This was from the other day using the Traxxas App which is KPH and is actually 20.5MPH so it worked Monday night but won't work tonight for some reason...
    I use that same app!!! My 2wd goes 85mph and my 4x4 goes 110mph. I use the S5 as my beater phone too. The other day I was doing a 5s speed run. I hit about 90mph and the 2s swelled up about 2.5inches. (The battery was 2 years old) and it undid the Velcro with all the pressure and it shot out of the car along with the S5 phone 😬. The battery was sliding down the street at 90. I don't know how but I manage s to turn the car just enough before I lost all the power and it drove to the side of the road. I look where I lost power only to see the phone doing barrel rolls at 90mph and then hit a stop sign. The back of the phone snapped off and the battery fell out. (Which it is designed to do for when the battery is old or your phone gets frozen the ad card is only back there). But anyways the phone didn't even crack. Just a little nick in the corner somehow. Not trying to steal the show or anything. Just thought you may find that pretty amusing. Good luck!
    Last edited by Slasher22; 03-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    100Mph isn't fast enough!

RC Racer
    Honestly if you looking for speed... your better off biting the bullet and upgrading to brushless. You won't even have to think twice about going 30mph. You'll be thinking about hmm how do I go 60moh now. Lol. The lcg chassis conversion kit that traxxas makes lowers the car about an inch. If you do decide to go brushless I recommend this 110% because it will keep snug to the ground at higher speeds. Are you looking to do speed runs? Or are you just trying to go 30 and be done?

RC Racer
    What brand was the stuff you got from China? I don't know how I missed that post.

RC Qualifier

This is my top speed on 2s(43,5 mph)
    Castle Creations sct 3800kv, 26/83(3,192) 2.8 trenchers without body.
    Thinking to upgrade esc because from what i read motor can handle 3s but esc is questionable.

RC Racer

Cool Thread/Blog Update...SOLD My Slash 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher22 View Post
    What brand was the stuff you got from China? I don't know how I missed that post.
    It was the GoolRC. Pretty cheap but now I'm going to sell it since I sold my Slash. Or I can return it to ebay and pay a $11 shipping fee. I think I can get more if I sell it locally though...

Now I need another vehicle to post my speed runs. I'm working on it...
    Last edited by Nickerz; 03-16-2018 at 12:17 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12