RC Competitor

NiMh Battery problem?

I have a rustler vxl, the esc light is slowly blinking red when ever I plug in the nimh battery that was included. I have 2 lipo batteries that work fine when I plug them in.(i also remember to switch into low-voltage detection mode when using lipo) I use the rage 80w charger. I charge the nimh battery at 5.0 amps like the charger's instructions said and it worked for like 3 charges now it will charge for about 15 mins. and tell me its fully charged. (that didn't seem right to me) When I plug it in the light just slowly blinks red and I get steering but no throttle. So, I was just wondering if maybe I didnt charge it right and wrecked the battery, I did something wrong, or I got a bad battery.
    Last edited by Hunter1227; 01-30-2016 at 11:52 PM.

[QUOTE=Hunter1227;6166565] I charge the nimh battery at 5.0 volts" " I didnt charge it right and wrecked the battery, I did something wrong,/QUOTE]
    Rule-of-thumb is charge rate of 1 amp per 1000mah.
    1997 White Mustang Cobra its not a RC!

RC Competitor
    Thanks man, I knew I did something wrong and I meant to say I charged it at 5.0 amps not volts. Its late lol
    Last edited by Hunter1227; 01-30-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Sounds like the same thing the other post was talking about. Are you changing it back to non-lipo when you are running the nimh? Is the esc light solid red when you plug in the battery or green at first? Other thing to look at, is the battery getting hot as soon as you plug it into the truck? Or is it hot to the touch when it comes off the charger. I know the charger says 5A is ok but I think most people here will tell you that 1C or 1A per 1000mah of battery is the safest way to go. So assuming the stock 3000 or 3300 mah nimh battery then 3-3.3A is going to give you the longest lifespan. This is even more important for the lipos you have.

RC Competitor
    I did change it back to non-lipo when using the nimh but now it doesnt give me a chance to, I plug it in and it starts blinking red and wont let me do anything but steer. It wont let me put it back to non-lipo. It is red when I plug it in. And the battery does get really hot after charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1227 View Post
    I did change it back to non-lipo when using the nimh but now it doesnt give me a chance to, I plug it in and it starts blinking red and wont let me do anything but steer. It wont let me put it back to non-lipo. It is red when I plug it in. And the battery does get really hot after charging.
    Might have cooked the battery. If you put the lipos in can you turn off the lvd? That said, if you have the lipos why do you run the nimh at all?

Do you have a volt meter you can check it with? The batteries will get warm when charging. The next thing to do is to put your lipo in and change the LVD to off (red) and it should stay when you put the NiMH's back on (butwhy NiMH's)
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by Zamboniman808 View Post
    Might have cooked the battery. If you put the lipos in can you turn off the lvd? That said, if you have the lipos why do you run the nimh at all?
    Are you reading my mind?
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Are you reading my mind?
    seriously. This is getting strange. I blame my children. They all woke up before 6 and its my morning to get up with them. <sigh>

RC Competitor
    Thought so.And yes I can switch from lvd with the lipos in. I just run the nimh when the lipos are dead. Or I forget to charge the lipos

RC Competitor
    I just use the nimh when the lipos are dead or I forget to charge the lipos

Thought so.And yes I can switch from lvd with the lipos in. I just run the nimh when the lipos are dead. Or I forget to charge the lipos
    So you can turn the LVC off and run the Nimh's. Is the light still blinking red after you switch to the red light to run the NiMH's?
    Running the NiMH's in between Lipo's is fine as long as the LVC is on for Lipo and off for NiMH's.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Competitor
    No, when I plug in the lipos and switch to the red light it is solid red

No, when I plug in the lipos and switch to the red light it is solid red
    No you can not run your NiMH's after turning the LVC off? or no the light is not blinking anymore? or are you saying the light is solid red running your Lipo's (hope not you may ruin your Lipo's)?
    Your answers are vague to me. Did it fix your problem? are you still having trouble's? is it you can not get the green light on for the lipo's?
    I'm old so help me out here, I don't know if you still have a problem or not.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Competitor
    Dont worry about it I will just use the lipos. Thanks for helping though. Im sure i just fried the battery. But I was answering no to the question you asked

Thanks, I was trying to get you there because my son does the same thing, Lipo's to NiMH's. He has no patience
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Racer
    Dont worry about it I will just use the lipos. Thanks for helping though. Im sure i just fried the battery. But I was answering no to the question you asked
    I got confused reading this thread.
    Lipo mode...solid green esc light.
    Nimh mode...solid red esc light.
    When you run lipo and the esc hits low voltage cut off,you have to turn the esc off and then change battery modes with the lipo connected. If you unplug the lipo and connect a full nimh,you will get an over voltage alarm on the esc,blinking light.
    Don't run either battery in the opposite mode.
    If your nimh is 3000mah and you charged it at 5 amps too many times,you probably killed it.

RC poster
    Hey..I have a problem with the new 4 pole vxl brushless system.lipo zero problems but when I pop in a nimh brown out city..I have the oba and obviously Traxxas stability management system tqi ..From what I see the new system is too power hungry and gearing 27/76 no go.im just using 2 and 3 s with speed runs of 44 and 66 mph.. now traxxas claims not using nimh on tje vxl systems..

Two year old thread here... but any hoo....

Quote Originally Posted by frankhandy View Post
    Hey..I have a problem with the new 4 pole vxl brushless system.lipo zero problems but when I pop in a nimh brown out city..I have the oba and obviously Traxxas stability management system tqi ..From what I see the new system is too power hungry and gearing 27/76 no go.im just using 2 and 3 s with speed runs of 44 and 66 mph.. now traxxas claims not using nimh on tje vxl systems..
    It comes down to C-rating, which is the amount of amperage the battery can deliver on demand. The top of the line NiMH pack peaks at around 15C, and most of your NiMH packs are less than 10C. Your bottom of the barrel lipo is rated at 20C, and really for a brushless system in a 'go-fast' RC, you want at least 50C rating.

If you want to run NiMH in a brushless system and having brown out problems you will want to look at glitch-busters (capacitors). They plug into the RX and give power when the BEC isn't able to keep up with demand, normally when you are heavy on the throttle. At times even the glitch buster may not be able to keep up with demand, in which case you will want to divorce from your ESC's BEC and go with an external BEC to power your RX/servo.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired