Got a T-Maxx .15 and Sledgehammer for $30!

Hey guys, I bought a old T-Maxx Pro .15 and a very nice vintage Sledge Hammer both for $30 from a nice guy at my LHS yesterday. The T-Maxx is a very original .15 narrow armed T-Maxx, with a stinger exhaust on it which is pretty cool IMO. The Sledge Hammer is very original, down to the original 2018 servo, 2 channel AM receiver and radio. The motor is a old HPI 15t paired with an old LRP digital ESC. The chassis is cracked, but I have a new one shipping in from Traxxas as I type this. It doesn't have a body on it sadly though, but it runs and drives however! I haven't tried starting the T-Maxx at all yet, it's been converted to pull start, and the fuel tank isn't hocked up either. On that note, the fuel tank is an original one with a push primer built in.

My plans are to resto mod the Sledgy, (my co workers named it for me and it stuck) and use it from time to time. I'll start a thread about it in the vintage section in the next few days once I get parts and supplies rolling in for it. I've always wanted a Sledge, and I'm super excited to join the Vintage club with it!

I plan to fix up the T-Maxx too, I've always enjoyed the sound of a nicely modded .15 engine. I already have a nice tuned 3.3 T-Maxx, so this one's going to stay original.

I"ll upload some pictures of them hopefully later tonight.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-31-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Nice.

I always seem to find the opposite deals, someone wanting $400 for a .15 T-Maxx that has had the snot beat out of it, the seller claiming that it is a vintage RC and a collector's item...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    ..., someone wanting $400 for a .15 T-Maxx that has had the snot beat out of it, the seller claiming that it is a vintage RC and a collector's item
    Didn't you know? The scratches, dirt, and grime add value!

Sounds like a good deal, Wolfslash16. Those are both fun vehicles. The SledgeHammer is one of my favorites!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Heck even new brights sell for more than that. Good deal is an understatement!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

How do you sleep at night?
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    How do you sleep at night?
    Quite well actually! I'm hoping to get some pictures of them uploaded tonight when I get home from work.

So far my plans are to get the .15 in the Maxx cleaned out and running, and if it runs well enough I'll port and polish it just for fun; since I've always wanted to try porting and polishing a nitro motor.

As for Sledgy, since I plan to use it, I'm going to install the diff from the Nitro Pede Trans so I can run newer, not hard to find drive shafts. I have new old stock tires, chassis, a-arms, and a few other parts I can't think of at the moment coming later this week. Should be fun!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 02-01-2016 at 08:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    Congrats. Great buy!! Sounds like a fun project.

RC Racer
    Love the idea of a resto mod R/C!

Well I'm home from work, and I was planning on posting pictures of them, but my camera died after I took one picture! If it charges up tonight I"ll post some, if not I'll post some tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the old Sledge again. When me and my Dad went to buy my first "hobby grade" RC years and years ago, the decisions were Rustler, Bandit, or Sledgehammer in RTR or Kit form. My Dad wanted a kit but I had to run it that day so we got the Rustler RTR but guess what? I didn't get to run it that day because the RTR's back then came with an un painted body. I was depressed for like 3 days until the body got painted and dried

RC Enthusiast
    Pics of that great find please! Love those old vintage Maxx trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by darkerinstincts View Post
    Pics of that great find please! Love those old vintage Maxx trucks.
    Oh my bad, I forgot to upload some... I'll have some uploaded here in the next few hours or so.

I agree, I have a very solid set love for the old Maxx trucks, from the narrow 3906 E-Maxx to old Pro .15 T-Maxx's like this one.

The T-Maxx .15 is a very early model, it's got the shock towers and bulkheads without the X brace in the middle. Just for fun I ported and polished the motor, so that should be fun to see what it's like compared to the stock one.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 02-06-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Here's the pictures! Sorry about the delays, it turns out my normal camera's batteries died permanently, and I've been trying to fix it, but I can't without replacing the batteries. So these photos are from an old iPhone...

Here's the Sledgy, it's very original, down to the stock servo and receiver. I have an NOS msc and stinger motor I'm debating putting in it.

Here's the old Maxx. I took these pictures while I was working on it at my LHS, so sorry about the clutter. I'm in the middle of installing a new fuel tank, new fuel lines, and other rubber parts. You can tell it's an original Pro .15 Maxx by the primer fuel tank, black bulkheads, and the lack of the molded in X design in the middle of the shock tower and bulkheads, and the X bars between the bulkheads with the bumper mounts.

Gotta love the original primer fuel tank.

Tinkering with different engines and exhaust pipes

Traxxas Marshal
    That ESC isn't all that old. When you said LRP, I thought you meant one of the LRP F1 ESCs. I honestly wouldn't stick an MSC in there. I'd stick an old Novak or LRP in there.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle