RC Competitor

May have found over heating esc cause

I took my esc out and without the top cover on it the fan works perfect but if you put the cover/shroud on it locks up the fan! There are four posts from the shroud that fit into the fan housing. The posts on mine crooked/bent and will not seat into fan causing it to lock up! The clicking noise I described in my other post was the fan trying to turn but it could not. I ended up cutting the four posts off cause they would not fit. There are three tabs that hold the fan into the bottom part of esc so it won't move anyway. Well crap I'm not smart enough to post picture from my phone some one help me!

RC Qualifier
    I think it might be best if we stop speculating as to the cause, or as to the fix, to whatever we may perceive as a problem with the X MAXX ESC simply because that is not our job. Let Traxxas figure it out. Trust me, if there is a problem, I don't believe Traxxas would just sit on their butts and do nothing. It would be very easy to walk away from Traxxas and go to another brand, especially if all you want is fun, and you're not gun-ho about the model itself.

I mean do you really want to waste your time guessing what it could be, or caused by? And what if you're wrong? Don't waste your time. Just have fun.

RC Racer
    get tapatalk app and you can post pics.

RC Competitor
    I'm not wasting my time this is why mine was over heating and shutting off!

Interesting find. Should report to Traxxas so they are aware and can help troubleshoot with their investigations.
    Last edited by jeteffect; 02-01-2016 at 05:55 PM.

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    On bottom pic you can see the back left post is bent.i could not straighten it so i cut them off.either its either molded wrong or the person assembling them isn't lining them up and then when they tighten the screws it's crushing them.

Do you mean that the "back left post" press on the fan so it does not go as fast as it should?

RC Competitor
    Yes they don't line up with the holes in the fan and cause it to distort and the fan doesn't turn at all

Quote Originally Posted by 2k2ss View Post
    Yes they don't line up with the holes in the fan and cause it to distort and the fan doesn't turn at all

First I've heard of this, but certainly informative - something for new X-MAXX owners to check before their first run.

Surprised to see this thread still open.

Imo, the astute folks @ Traxxas would have caught something as simple as that...right?

I haven't read about anyone's fan not working yet. That's usually the 1st thing I check, if whatever it is has one & gets hot.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    Surprised to see this thread still open.

Imo, the astute folks @ Traxxas would have caught something as simple as that...right?

I haven't read about anyone's fan not working yet. That's usually the 1st thing I check, if whatever it is has one & gets hot.
    Perhaps not, as I'm sure bent posts weren't in the original design. Maybe a manufacturing defect caused a batch of esc's with warped posts. QC could miss it if it doesn't happen with each one.

RC Champion
    Nice find. Traxxas techs can now ask their customer if they notice any binding of the ESC fan.
    Thanks for the report!
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx

RC Competitor
    If you put the two pieces of the esc together up out ofthe truck alittle bit you can see if they go in the holes but if you put the bottom in the truck then put the top cover on you cant see what is going on in there and when you tighten the screws it could easily be wrong and you wouldn't notice it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    I think it might be best if we stop speculating as to the cause, or as to the fix, to whatever we may perceive as a problem with the X MAXX ESC simply because that is not our job. Let Traxxas figure it out. Trust me, if there is a problem, I don't believe Traxxas would just sit on their butts and do nothing. It would be very easy to walk away from Traxxas and go to another brand, especially if all you want is fun, and you're not gun-ho about the model itself.

I mean do you really want to waste your time guessing what it could be, or caused by? And what if you're wrong? Don't waste your time. Just have fun.
    Whats the alternative? Just wait around and "hope" traxxas addresses the issue while continuing to "hope" your ESC doesn't burn up? That sounds like a much bigger waste of time then trying to be proactive.

RC Qualifier
    read the threat started by a Traxxas employee regarding the ESC:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-X-Maxx-Update