Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    66

    What kind of performance would a 18 pinion give me?

    I don't want tremendous power, just a little more than stock. I'm thinking of just changing stock pinion to 18t and sticking to stock spur. What kind of performance would this give me. Will I lose torque?

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    whats stock?

    also what batts?
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    I'm running an 18T. I didn't measure but I'd say 8-10mph difference and definitely didn't loose any torque. It's way better, and I really wouldn't want it any faster right now. You'll need a fan on the motor though.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    97
    If I'm not disturbing the thread to much, when you say pinion is it the sprocket that sits on the motor axle? In another thread here someone posted a nice table showing various setups/speed. I'll check later when I get on my laptop.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    Yes, the pinion is the small metal gear on the back of the motor. Stock should be a 15T.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    You'll actually lose power going with a taller pinion. You lose torque and acceleration, create a lot more heat and run even greater risk of cathing fire.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    No you won't lose power. . No one who has an x-maxx and has put an 18t pinion in it will say they lost power.
    Last edited by DreamState; 01-30-2016 at 07:43 PM.

  9. #9
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    75
    50 spur and 18t pinion. It's a good medium between tourge and speed. Was running 46/20 but lvc would kick in about 7/10 minutes into my run.

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamState View Post
    No you won't lose power. . No one who has an x-maxx and has put an 18t pinion in it will say they lost power.

    So... I suppose every one with a xmaxx and put a 18t pinion goes against physics?

    No, I don't think so either.

    I will explain for educational purposes

    Lets say stock gearing is a perfect balance of power and speed.

    Taller gearing will give a higher top speed, yes? Correct. How ever... gives a LOSS to torque and acceleration.

    Acceleration and torque = power.

    HP (horse power) is the amount of work done is a measured time.

    So that boils down to less torque and acceleration which is directly involed in the amount of "power" a vehicle has. Because it takes LONGER to do the same amount of work.

    So lets go the opposite route.

    Shorter gearing gives more torque and acceleration. Which turns into more power because as I explained power is directly related to torque and acceleration.

    So a increase in those increases the amout of work thay can be done in that same amount of time.

    There is of course a limit on this because of the limiting factor of RPM. So if the rpm limit is reached to quickly it will tarnish the power curve because it will max out to quickly and be useless with the workload without enough speed you see?
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-30-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    You forgot that the truck is under geared stock. You can just wait for the other owners to chime in.

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    What makes you think its undergeared? Its a heavy truck and needs to run with the correct gearing to reduce heat.

    Esc's have already been catching fire on stock gearing you really think its a good idea to increase heat and stress?

    35-40 mph is about right on a truck this size. Most if not all 1/5 and 1/6 scale trucks are right at this mph. Theres no point in turning this big of a truck into a land missile. I watched a guy reach 63mph with an xmaxx and it went out of control and exploded against a curb. That's 800$ plus upgrades gone.

    If speed is ur goal go with a 1/10 scale or a xo1. These are heavy vehicles and were designed for offroad bashing. Its a MAXX truck for a reason lol.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-30-2016 at 09:08 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    It barley goes 30 stock. With the 18T it's closer to 40. Anyway, you're turning this into way more than he was asking. Will it be faster, yes. Will it feel like it lost torque or low end power. No, it'll feel more powerful from 0rpm to max rpm, and he will need to add a fan to the motor. It's that simple.

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    So... it goes against all reason information and physics. Got it!

    Its good to know that some one with 10years in rc experience, racing and a high level of knowledge building modding rc has some one of your caliber of expertise to rely on.

    As I said, it WILL lose power going to taller gearing HOWEVER it WILL increase OVERALL speed at the expense of torque AND acceleration aka as POWER.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-30-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    Sometimes you can lose power and still gain acceleration because the power is now usable. You're looking at the math of it and not the simplicity of his question.

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    Did I not explain that scenario in my explanation? And no, acceleration ALWAYS goes down with taller gearing.

    Lets say my mph max is 10mph.

    If I can go 1-10mph in 1 second

    Now, increase my max to 15mph.

    It will take longer then 1 second to reach 10mph because I have to work harder to reach 10mph which creates stress and heat. therefore I LOST power.



    And I explained my response clearly and simply, I then had to explain because what I said APPARENTLY wasn't good enough for a member who clearly said I was incorrect.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-30-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    Anyways, he'll read this and say, well I'll give it a try. Then he'll try it and say Holy crap this is so much better.

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    He very well may do just that, however the fact remains power was lost to the increase the top speed.

    I am not going to lie and give a fellow member incorrect information. I will simply say as I did, there will be a loss in power and acceleration.

    I'm here to help and educate our members which includes helping diagnose problems, repairs, tunning suspension engines and gearing.

    Wrongful information to a beginner makes it soooo much more difficult to correct vs the right information to start.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-30-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    161
    The truck IS under geared stock. Not sure if you actually own one or not. If you do, throw in 18/50 (the gearing i run, with a castle mmx esc) and grin from ear to ear. More low end and more top end.... But wait, that's not possible.....

    I have been in the hobby for 25+ years and raced for 15+. Don't assume someone who doesn't agree with you doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by wrightcs77; 01-30-2016 at 10:43 PM.

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    The truck IS under geared stock. Not sure if you actually own one or not. If you do, throw in 18/50 and grin from ear to ear. More low end and more top end.... But wait, that's not possible.....

    I have been in the hobby for 25+ years and raced for 15+. Don't assume someone who doesn't agree with you doesn't know what they are talking about.
    As I said before... its a heavy truck if traxxas thinks the gear ratio for the weight is a good balance between weight power and speed then its geared correct for the original design.

    And once again he may be very happy with the taller gear ratio, however you look at it, it is still a loss in torque and acceleration which was the ops question. Which I answered with FACTS not make believe physics and biased opinions.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  22. #22
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    He very well may do just that, however the fact remains power was lost to the increase the top speed.

    I am not going to lie and give a fellow member incorrect information. I will simply say as I did, there will be a loss in power and acceleration.

    I'm here to help and educate our members which includes helping diagnose problems, repairs, tunning suspension engines and gearing.

    Wrongful information to a beginner makes it soooo much more difficult to correct vs the right information to start.
    I was pondering your replies and had an epiphany. although you may be correct in taller gear translates to loss of power, you forgot to take into consideration that these electric motors reach max speed and power almost instantaneously. I'm somewhat assuming here, but to my eyes and ears, I never hear the xmaxx motor having to rev up to max speed when I full throttle on stand still. But I guess I've been just driving on snow so my tires slip, I maybe someone who has driven on pavement can chime in.

    So with this in mind when switching to 18t, truck actually gains torque and top speed. That is why others are saying this truck is under geared, because motor can take more load and switching to higher gearing won't stress
    Motor. Others are saying this motor has plenty of power after switching gearing. If you run a motor that is not capable of pushing this 22lbs truck then you'll begin to see the truck lose torque and gain top speed when gearing up.
    Last edited by Jaycelee; 01-30-2016 at 11:15 PM.

  23. #23
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    Its a good thought, now with elec it doesn't reach max rpm instantly however it is max torque.

    If max rpm was the case your drivetrain would just buckle under the raw power. Even an electric motor has time it needs to spool up to max rpm, Especially with a load.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester ny
    Posts
    159
    I am running 17/54 I didn't even bother with the stock gearing... it's an electric motor if you can keep it cool it will supply power all day non stop. I'm also only running 4s for the time being... never had a temp over 118 and it was about 45 outside today. Only ran 1 set of 5800 may 2s lipos through it tho before I broke a shock shaft... off to LHS in am they informed me today they were fully stocked with parts. I think it's a beast and can't wait till I can get some 8400maw 3s traxxas batteries... every one disagrees on gearing ect... it's not a gas motor it is at top performance as soon as the trigger is wide open the motor is demanding as Ling as batteries are feeding it it will be fine... my stampede was 9 tooth stock brushed I changed to 13 tooth when I went brushless and am currently running a 16 the higher I gear it the more power it has and it actually hooks up and moves I stead of just spinning wheels. Just my experiance, I'm no rocket scientist but if you gear it it will wake up alot.

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    535
    I'll get my 2 cents in before this thread is closed. I do not own a xmaxx but do own multiple 8th and a 5th scale.

    Yes taller ratios mean more top speed and lower torque (read acceleration). Your missing a few critical points though. The first being traction. Torque is meaningless if you can't hook up. This truck has more torque than traction. So yes, lower torque can mean the same acceleration.

    However the bigger point is that taller ratios increase amp draw, and therfore power. So the torque at the wheels might actually be greater when geared higher.

    As far as traxxas stock gearing being perfect? It's not. It's geared for an under powered esc that may be using under powered lipos, or god forbid nimh. Its geared to keep amp draw low. Traxxas has to cover their rear for the average user. If your Batts can handle it, gear up and watch temps.
    Last edited by chapinb; 01-30-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Typo

  26. #26
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    Its a good thought, now with elec it doesn't reach max rpm instantly however it is max torque.

    If max rpm was the case your drivetrain would just buckle under the raw power. Even an electric motor has time it needs to spool up to max rpm, Especially with a load.
    Yes. You're probably right. It does give max torque instantaneously, but I would bet in these electric motors, max rpm is not to far behind

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    I'll get my 2 cents in before this thread is closed. I do not own a xmaxx but do own multiple 8th and a 5th scale.

    Yes taller ratios mean more top speed and lower torque (read acceleration). Your missing a few critical points though. The first being traction. Torque is meaningless if you can't hook up. This truck has more torque than traction. So yes, lower torque can mean the same acceleration.

    However the bigger point is that taller ratios increase amp draw, and therfore power. So the torque at the wheels might actually be greater when geared higher.

    As far as traxxas stock gearing being perfect? It's not. It's geared for an under powered esc that may be using under powered lipos, or god forbid nimh. Its geared to keep amp draw low. Traxxas has to cover their rear for the average user. If your Batts can handle it, gear up and watch temps.
    I am not trying to go over board with infornation here, I would be typing untill 2017 explaining all the factors of traction, lateral grip, downforce, gravity, tire pressure/foam, gearing voltage and amp draw and sooo much more.

    There's simply to much to type out for each and how they affect one another. So I used the kiss rule.

    However I do appreciate the extra input. Its a great point.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 01-30-2016 at 11:32 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelee View Post
    I don't want tremendous power, just a little more than stock. I'm thinking of just changing stock pinion to 18t and sticking to stock spur. What kind of performance would this give me. Will I lose torque?
    Give the 18t pinion a try....... I did, and gained roughly 10mph top speed, and didn't "notice" and loss in torque. I would recommend a castle fan for the motor though in addition to the pinion. Now please close this thread.

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    55
    Can't believe so many care about taking this truck above 30. Yall must be driving these in a football field lol. Torque, that's where it's at! Being a foot from the base of a jump at a stand still and clearing 8 to 10 foot with a blip of throttle.....that's what this trucks about son!

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    Is this the Traxxas pinion i should buy?

    http://www.rcmart.com/traxxas-5644-g...h=595_739_1353

    18 tooth 5mm

  31. #31
    RC Champion rizz0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
    Can't believe so many care about taking this truck above 30. Yall must be driving these in a football field lol. Torque, that's where it's at! Being a foot from the base of a jump at a stand still and clearing 8 to 10 foot with a blip of throttle.....that's what this trucks about son!
    this. it's crazy to think that a truck this heavy can accelerate hard enough to clear a 30 foot triple with a run up of less than 10 feet from a dead stop.

  32. #32
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester ny
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelee View Post
    I don't want tremendous power, just a little more than stock. I'm thinking of just changing stock pinion to 18t and sticking to stock spur. What kind of performance would this give me. Will I lose torque?
    Go spend 12 bux and find out. I run a 17 never even turned it on with stock gearing. My Temps are good no fan. I will get one before summer. Best way to know is just go do it. You spent 800 on truck plus batteries so why not grab a couple pinions and give it a shot. There is always one guy saying one thing and another saying I've been in rc for xx years I know everything I'm right.... pinions are cheap so are spurs. I have a box full for my stampede just so I can experiment with different conditions and I will have a box full for my xmaxx before long. Trial and error. Get a temp gun go nuts have fun that's what it's all about.

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Is this the Traxxas pinion i should buy?

    http://www.rcmart.com/traxxas-5644-g...h=595_739_1353

    18 tooth 5mm
    no, that is 32pitch. Here is the actual x-maxx 18t mod1 pinion : https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6491

    you can use any 18t mod 1 pinion with a 5mm bore, but the traxxas pinion is wider to match the width of the spur gear.

  34. #34
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
    Can't believe so many care about taking this truck above 30. Yall must be driving these in a football field lol. Torque, that's where it's at! Being a foot from the base of a jump at a stand still and clearing 8 to 10 foot with a blip of throttle.....that's what this trucks about son!
    It still does that with the 18T. You can just go faster than 30 if you want to. Definitely don't need a football field. Lol. It's at top speed in about 1-2 seconds.

  35. #35
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greenacres, FL
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Drty42 View Post
    I am running 17/54 I didn't even bother with the stock gearing... it's an electric motor if you can keep it cool it will supply power all day non stop. I'm also only running 4s for the time being... never had a temp over 118 and it was about 45 outside today. Only ran 1 set of 5800 may 2s lipos through it tho before I broke a shock shaft... off to LHS in am they informed me today they were fully stocked with parts. I think it's a beast and can't wait till I can get some 8400maw 3s traxxas batteries... every one disagrees on gearing ect... it's not a gas motor it is at top performance as soon as the trigger is wide open the motor is demanding as Ling as batteries are feeding it it will be fine... my stampede was 9 tooth stock brushed I changed to 13 tooth when I went brushless and am currently running a 16 the higher I gear it the more power it has and it actually hooks up and moves I stead of just spinning wheels. Just my experiance, I'm no rocket scientist but if you gear it it will wake up alot.
    Curious to know what speed you are getting on 4s with this set up...

  36. #36
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    90
    My brother went from 15 to 18 on his pinion.
    With 15 he couldn't catch my e revo (I'm running a center diff and badlands)

    When he switched to the 18 tooth pinion and we raced again, it took me about 200' to catch him.
    I ran into his back tires and barrel rolled my e revo breakingone of my rear carriers.

    He hasn't had any heat issues that I know of.

    It sure does look like the x maxx accelerates quicker with the 18 tooth pinion and has a better top speed as well.

    Just watch your temps to be sure.
    Fix it it till it's broke.

  37. #37
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester ny
    Posts
    159
    I don't know I will let you know as soon as I get a new shock shaft...lhs opens at noon and I be there when door opens lol. it was wheeling no problem as long as it hooked up and it's pretty quick. It's plenty fast in my opinion. It's no super car but I like to jump and run over stuff so I didn't get a xo1...

  38. #38
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greenacres, FL
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Drty42 View Post
    I don't know I will let you know as soon as I get a new shock shaft...lhs opens at noon and I be there when door opens lol. it was wheeling no problem as long as it hooked up and it's pretty quick. It's plenty fast in my opinion. It's no super car but I like to jump and run over stuff so I didn't get a xo1...
    I also broke one of my shock shafts this afternoon at the track...does anyone know if the replacement ones are an upgrade?

  39. #39
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester ny
    Posts
    159
    Lhs had no shock shafts... booo!!! There is a thread here about revo pushrods being almost identical, one is slightly shorter and one slightly longer lhs had only shorter one so i got two for 7 bux. we'll it saved my butt I put one on and it works great. I have shock shafts on order but this got me up and running for the day. Also a buddy swapped me 2 5800 maw 2s lipos I had for some 3s 5000maw. Wow is all I can say... I have app on my phone for GPS in my yard I got 32 with the 3s set up. Temp never over 176 and I was start and stopping lots of full throttle running with buddy's erevo. He smokes me but I can run him over so... lol. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9053203
    Last edited by Drty42; 01-31-2016 at 07:21 PM.

  40. #40
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,251
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    I am not trying to go over board with infornation here, I would be typing untill 2017 explaining all the factors of traction, lateral grip, downforce, gravity, tire pressure/foam, gearing voltage and amp draw and sooo much more.

    There's simply to much to type out for each and how they affect one another. So I used the kiss rule.

    However I do appreciate the extra input. Its a great point.
    There's another factor to consider... Brushless motors tend to put out more Watts and power as you add a load to the motor. Unless you are already over geared.... Going up a few teeth on the opinion can make the motor actually pull much harder, overcoming the gear change, and actually produce MORE torque at the wheel... With brushed motors, its exactly as you describe. If you gear up with your bl motor and LOSE torque, you were probably over geared in the first place.
    Last edited by rag6; 01-31-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •