Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    Yea tighten up some of those tolerances and that will be a real nice piece. I bet that top plate could be cut from graphite. Then you would just need the stop for the rear.
    Tighten up the tolerances..... man that's harsh. Haha.

I'm doing all this with a hacksaw, cordless drill, and about 6 different files.... I'm trying to keep it as clean and tight as possible but I won't be able to match the accuracy of a CNC machine...
    Last edited by Aspengt; 03-27-2016 at 09:12 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspengt View Post
    Tighten up the tolerances..... **** man that's harsh. Haha.

I'm doing all this with a hacksaw, cordless drill, and about 6 different files.... I'm trying to keep it as clean and tight as possible but I won't be able to match the accuracy of a CNC machine...
    Hahaha we weren't what you were using!
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    Here is the video of the new and much improved way to upgrade to an aftermarket 1/5 scale servo in the X-Maxx. Let me know if you have any questions.

RC Champion
    Wow that is a massive servo thats for sure. I've been ordering spares for my truck even though it isn't here yet, and the stock servo gears are a combination of plastic and metal. But def too much plastic.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    Servo Comparison! Stock Servo vs. Savox Servo. My hardwood floor acted as a high grip surface resulting in the soft rubber tires grabbing onto it. Personally I don't think there is even a comparison. But the conversion is a bit of work.

Stock traxxas servo in the blue truck. Running the castle XLX system with stock receiver and controller. This truck is brand new, just put together.

Savox SW-0241mg in the Monster Energy X-Maxx. XLX system with Specktrum sr4210 receiver and DX4S controller. BEC is set at 7.5v

RC Qualifier
    My servo moves like ur savox I just tried the steering on mine and it's fine

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    My servo moves like ur savox I just tried the steering on mine and it's fine
    That's why I made sure to mention the surface that the trucks were on. The soft rubber of the tires is sticking to the hardwood making the stock servo struggle. If I pick both trucks up of the ground they appear to perform the same. When a high resistance load is applied that's when you see this difference appear.

RC Racer
    That's why I made sure to mention the surface that the trucks were on. The soft rubber of the tires is sticking to the hardwood making the stock servo struggle. If I pick both trucks up of the ground they appear to perform the same. When a high resistance load is applied that's when you see this difference appear.
    I also think the fact that the blue one is brand new, the tires are stickier than the one thats been run and definitely not as grippy. That said, Im sure the Savox @ 7.4 is an improvement. I did run my stock servo @7.4 with no ill effect and it was a whole lot snappier.
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by B1gDawg View Post
    I also think the fact that the blue one is brand new, the tires are stickier than the one thats been run and definitely not as grippy. That said, Im sure the Savox @ 7.4 is an improvement. I did run my stock servo @7.4 with no ill effect and it was a whole lot snappier.
    Yeah I would agree with that assesment. I'll make another comparison video whith the trucks both outside in grass and stone. Give a variety of surfaces. I've since moved the BEC voltage up to 8.4 for the Savox.

i'm assuming these both have the stock servo saver?

a static test like that doesn't tell the whole story. but i can definitely see a huge improvement. the blue truck looks like the servo is fighting the saver spring and losing. the truck with the savox is definitely winning against the saver spring and turning the wheels with authority.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    i'm assuming these both have the stock servo saver?

a static test like that doesn't tell the whole story. but i can definitely see a huge improvement. the blue truck looks like the servo is fighting the saver spring and losing. the truck with the savox is definitely winning against the saver spring and turning the wheels with authority.
    Yes stock servo saver in each. And I agree there are a lot of factors here. And I will be making other comparison videos with the trucks in different locations, dirt, rocks, grass, black top. I'm also going to do turning radius comparisons at slow speed. Between the two which I'm confident the savox will have a tighter radius.

RC Champion
    Man that's a big difference from stock to savox...I like it

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    Nice jumps! Looks like you have that mastered.
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

RC Qualifier
    Great job!
    First modification I'm going to go over is the deannodizing the aluminum parts. I did this on the Stub Carriers, wheel nuts and shock bodies. I forgot to take pics of the shock bodies but the same process was done for all pieces. The only difference is when I did the shock bodies I made sure to seal of the inner portion so that the inside of the cylinder remained unchanged. I used an expandable rubber plug for the bottom and the stock shock cap with rubber bladder to seal the top. Total process took approximately 30 minutes to complete the shocks, and 30 minutes for the axles and wheel nuts.

The stock pieces

I used grease lighting degreaser, 2 plastic containers, one for degreaser and one for clean cold water, small paint brush, rubber gloves, eye protection, and mask.

Placed items into degreaser agitated with brush them let sit for 5-minutes

I continued to agitate the items worth the brush for another 5 minutes

You can see the liquid turning blue

The pieces after being flushed with cold water.

Took a little metal polish and within 5 minutes this is how they turned out

The completed shocks. Upgraded to 50wt shock oil. Still awaiting the arrival of the green aluminum shock caps.

Next topic for tomorrow will be the Painting of the body.

RC poster
    Could you please post a description of what your doing for your tires? Even when I was running the 6s system the factory tires kept ripping the side walls. I have 8s now and have even went as far as trying to run low rider tires and any aftermarket tires keep losing patches of the tread

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eye4got2wipe View Post
    Could you please post a description of what your doing for your tires? Even when I was running the 6s system the factory tires kept ripping the side walls. I have 8s now and have even went as far as trying to run low rider tires and any aftermarket tires keep losing patches of the tread
    Unfortunately there are only limited options out there. I'm experiencing the same issues with my tires. Some people are moving to 1/5 scale wheels and tires, others are going with kershaw design wheels and tires. I don't like either of those two options as the aftermarket 1/5 scale wheels and tires are much smaller than the stock tires, and the kershaw tires and really expensive and the rubber on the tire is getting terrible reviews.

I do know that proline is working on wheels and tires for the xmaxx and will be upgrading as soon as they become available.

RC poster
    Here is some quick runs I did with my X right before I stripped the steering servo.. not to big of a deal to repair but will look into upgrading the servo soon. While filming I had a close call with the Phantom 3 Pro my son was using to film me.. not to mention his landing was BRUTAL!! LOL ... good fun though.

RC Qualifier
    Bashing, crashing, Carnage, fun!

RC Qualifier
    Always good to see a "time spent truck" get to good use! Good vid! I get the feel tho that your truck deserves a ramp build from your side. I guess you have already seen it, but take a look at this thread for inspiration:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...my-xmaxx/page2

I built one for my trucks a few days ago. was a couple of years since Iīve had a real ramp, I had totally forgotten how much fun it is to just stand there and launch it!

ebeez: I like the camera view! Itīs great with vids and people sharing, but maybe you should start your own thread to post your vids in since the video isnīt really relevant to Mr aspentīs build. And letīs not argument about this in here since we all like to keep the build threads neat and clean making the project easier to follow. I donīt mean any harm! Sharing is good!

that was a fun video! looked cool when the tailgate broke off and the rear fenders started swinging in the air like a short course truck. great bashing spot too, enjoy it before the houses go up.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Qualifier
    X-maxx crash compilation video from my endeavors so far. Enjoy!

RC poster
    Hi Aspengt, i would like to have your advice, if i don't want to modify that much for the servo, i would like to get one just fit on the original space, any brand or models of servo you will be recommend? Any price range! Thanks

RC poster
    Im a beginner of X-MAXX, and now i would like to invest USD2000 to modify it, i seldom let it go on the air very high, just normal off road run, sometimes on road run, i would like to have a maximum speed more then 60mph, i really need some advice, as i have totally no idea what to buy and where to buy, too many optional parts of choice, thank you very much everyone! Have a nice day, looking forward to hear your reply! Thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by miteykiller View Post
    Im a beginner of X-MAXX, and now i would like to invest USD2000 to modify it, i seldom let it go on the air very high, just normal off road run, sometimes on road run, i would like to have a maximum speed more then 60mph, i really need some advice, as i have totally no idea what to buy and where to buy, too many optional parts of choice, thank you very much everyone! Have a nice day, looking forward to hear your reply! Thanks
    get bigger motor/esc combo and change your gearings and get the best high c rated batteries you can..

I myself is running Max5 esc with leopard 1340kv motor and geared at 29/50 and I'm hitting 58mph with ease,haven't tried my other gears yet,at half throttle truck still flips on its back...btw if u go bigger better stock up on some of the parts...you can get some of the upgrades here such as ESC/MOTOR combo and gears and batteries

http://kershawdesigns.com/Products.htm
    Last edited by PATS4LIFE; 07-28-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC poster
    Thanks a lot bro

RC poster
    Thanks a lot bro

RC poster
    Is it a good idea to modify Kershaw Heavy Duty Diff Gears and Hardened Steel Spur Gears? 46T will be good for higher speed? May i know which 8mm Bore M1 Pinion will be match for 46T? How many pieces of Heavy Duty Slipper Spring i need? I would like to take the ToroBEAST ESC, is it good for this truck? or that was too powerful? XLX with 2028 best combination? Thanks a lot

RC Racer
    Yeah I would agree with that assesment. I'll make another comparison video whith the trucks both outside in grass and stone. Give a variety of surfaces. I've since moved the BEC voltage up to 8.4 for the Savox.
    How did the Savox SW-0241MG perform at 8.4v over time or at least while you were using it if you no longer have it? I set the XLX at 8.4v during initial setup, I do it out of habit for all the XLX's because all the other electronics I use are rated to 9.0v. I assuming the servo didn't care but I noticed on the box it came in has a shinny sticker where it opens saying 7.4v all over it. I got a very similar setup with the CC XLX and SW-0241MG, I got the receiver in a very inconvenient spot so changing it back to 7.4v is a hassle. I only ran it for brief tests on the bench without tires, have yet to really put it under a continual stressed load. I realize it's only +1V and is unlikely to smoke itself rite out the box so I'm curious how did over time for you or anyone else?

I'm literally asking out of laziness, removing the ESC and AUX wire from my receiver is easy but trying to plug them back in is a 20 minute struggle. I know there's a inexpensive link thingy and now a blue tooth thingy but I don't adjust the settings enough to warrant purchasing one of these. Poor planning, laziness, fill in your verb with my poor choices but the info will be useful none the less as I assume it runs a little quicker at 8.4v. In turn I would assume it runs hotter too.

This is a old build that I'm just now completing, I think I purchased the parts when I seen this thread 2 years ago. I'm aware there's better options both with larger size servos along with smaller more powerful servos. I've been running a few Spektrum S9020's in other Xmaxx's at 8.4V but Spektrum has 8.4v called out in the specifications unlike this specific Savox all I can find is information for 6.0v and 7.4v. I installed the servo a few years ago, just never ran it, since the chassis is already trimmed to fit I don't want it to be a waste. I'm not using external power, this voltage is coming from the ESC through the receiver to the servo so there may be a slight voltage drop by the time the servo gets the power, just thinking out loud now... Since I wrote all that I'll post it anyways, good info for the future.
    de oppresso liber

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345