Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Awesome build dude

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    So the Kershaw built 8S systems are a smokin' deal!

I was told the Traxxas connectors should be avoided for this much current as well.

Outstanding job on those lids. There's some really talented members on this forum. I'm amazed at how well some of these installs are.
    Yeah, the Castle connectors are for high current applications. I used them for my XLX/2028 setup and they are awesome.
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

RC Qualifier
    Finally got out to run the X-maxx. This thing is a beast. Approx 30 minutes of bashing, crashing, and jumping. Drove away with only a broken right front axle, cracker right front caster, and broken lower rear bumper support. All fixed within 10 minutes and I'm ready for tomorrow.

Cool video, and I thought I recognized those grey overcast skies...I grew up in western Pa. Anyway Aspengt, I have a question I'd like to ask you. When you soldered your Traxxas battery connectors onto your Castle XL-X ESC you used Castle 8 gage wire for your interconnect wire. What are your thoughts on 10 gage wire for the interconnect wire?
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-20-2016 at 06:20 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Cool video, and I thought I recognized those grey overcast skies...I grew up in western Pa. Anyway Aspengt, I have a question I'd like to ask you. When you soldered your Traxxas battery connectors onto your Castle XL-X ESC you used Castle 8 gage wire for your interconnect wire. What are your thoughts on 10 gage wire for the interconnect wire?
    10 guage will work. I prefer 8ga for consistity. Especially with the esc's high current draw. If you only plan on running 6s it shouldn't matter at all. I would however recommend the castle connectors either way.

RC Qualifier
    Some pics for the 2 runs yesterday.

Last edited by Aspengt; 02-21-2016 at 08:26 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Just read this thread, posts 1-85. So impressive. Excellent work. I applaud you Aspengt.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Qualifier
    Cool truck,big truck. As I watch your jumping, iam wondering how you brakes are set. Have you adjusted with IQ. I always run race mode,70/30 throttle. Level flight is the goal

I looked into everything, and from what I see XL-X's 8 gage, and 8mm bullets is a little excessive. That stuff is rated for 300 amps while the XL-x is rated at 150-160ish amps, but I ordered the stuff anyway. I was like...awe, what the heck...it's a new truck. Anyway, I should be wrapping everything up this week sometime.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    X-maxx LCG chassis coming soon! Kershaw designs is working on a new chassis! Very curious to check that out, Dan said it's in the very early stages though.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspengt View Post
    X-maxx LCG chassis coming soon! Kershaw designs is working on a new chassis! Very curious to check that out, Dan said it's in the very early stages though.
    now that would be great for a 8s setup! I only say this cause ( I normally wouldn't say this ) but 8s Is way to much power for my truck. Xl2 & 2028 motor is what I'm running and I want to try 6s before I put the stock motor back in

RC Qualifier
    You're gonna love 6s. I'm running a 49t pinion and 50t spur, and on 6s I'm hitting just over 50mph. The truck still has tons of torque, but it does tame it down from running 8s.

RC Qualifier
    X-Maxx, 8s jumping, crashing, tire and wheel exploding back flips! Weekend fun.

great video! putting the hurt on that truck lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's what im talking about! Built a masterpiece just to bash the heck out of it!
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC poster
    What SPC batteries are you using ??

RC Qualifier
    Awesome videos, enjoyed all of em!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XMaxx2015 View Post
    What SPC batteries are you using ??
    2-6500 65c 4s

RC Qualifier
    Fingers crossed I get selected to be a diff gear tester for kershaw designs!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    We're rooting for ya.

Just realized earlier that you are the guy that made the world's first 1/16th E-Maxx. You defined the word "build" here on the forums man. oh and you need to update that project asap lol
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    We're rooting for ya.

Just realized earlier that you are the guy that made the world's first 1/16th E-Maxx. You defined the word "build" here on the forums man. oh and you need to update that project asap lol
    Haha, yeah the mini maxx is my build. I've been working on that project in the background. But you are right I need to post some updates. Ill try and do that within the next couple weeks.

Me too man!
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC Racer
    Great job! Wish I had that kind of talent. Thanks for all the posting.

RC poster
    What gearing are you guys using with the Castle setup on 8s ?? I'm at 54/49 and it's very slow.. much slower than out of box X Maxx.

RC Racer
    What gearing are you guys using with the Castle setup on 8s ?? I'm at 54/49 and it's very slow.. much slower than out of box X Maxx.
    Which KV version of the Castle motor do you have? In any event, you've gone from 1600kv down to around 800kv so that alone will kill your speed. I understand you've geared up to 49/54 and you may have to go 49/46 to get more speed. Since you feel that you're slower than the stock 15/54 setup then check your esc settings and/or other bottlenecks in your setup. This is assuming you're currently running 8s.

RC poster
    Yew ruunnig 8s..Going to check my esc settings tonight. Read something that throttle has to be reversed.

RC Qualifier
    I'm running a 49t pinion and 50t spur. On 6s I'm hitting 50mph. 8s I stop around 60mph as the truck starts getting out of control. Running the 54t spur I was at 45mph on 6s. Did you calibrate the esc properly? Somethings got to be wrong? If your using the stock receiver remember that the temp sensor has to be plugged in to get full throttle.

RC poster
    Temp sensor plugged in... stock traxxas transmitter and receiver...did you have to reverse motor direction ??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    If your using the stock receiver remember that the temp sensor has to be plugged in to get full throttle.
    Not that it matters in my case but I did not know that. Is this mentioned in the manual? I skimmed through it but may have to go back and look for it.

RC Racer
    Yew ruunnig 8s..Going to check my esc settings tonight. Read something that throttle has to be reversed.
    There WAS someone on here that had a problem with the Castle ESC where the motor was basically going in reverse through the car was actually still going forward. It was not a matter of reversing the channel on the radio either, I believe he had to go into the ESC via Castle link. I don't recall whose thread that was on but it may have been Viper's. It's been awhile and I may not have all the information correct.

RC Qualifier
    I did not have to reverse anything when I calibrated the XL-X ESC. First thing is make sure the factory telemetry is plugged in(temp sensor/receiver +v). Apparently if the receiver isn't reading a temperature, it puts the truck into a "limp" forward throttle mode. Next re-calibrate the ESC according to the Castle Drivers Ed Guide. See if that fixes your problems.
    Last edited by bigtim1985; 03-05-2016 at 09:45 PM.

RC poster
    I haven't been able to calibrate the esc... not sure why... maybe end points needs to be adjusted

RC Qualifier
    I did nothing with my stock radio. It's hard to explain but It's kind of tricky to calibrate until you do it a few times. If i remember correctly hold full throttle, plug in batteries, wait for the beeps to indicate your lipo count, continue holding full throttle and wait for more beeps, hold reverse and wait for beeps, go to neutral and wait for more beeps........done.

different Castle ESC, but same procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwnnw2ZH06w

RC Qualifier
    No word from Dan at kershaw designs. Disappointing as I have seen others have been notified. Still keeping my fingers crossed though. Especially with what I'm putting the X through lately.
    Last edited by Aspengt; 03-06-2016 at 12:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Double Back Flip Attempt Fails. And shredded yet another tire! Come on Proline!

RC Qualifier
    awesome video. reminds me of the punishment I give my Savage Flux.

RC poster
    I have not checked to see if temp sensor is in correct channel....still no luck calibrating esc yet..

RC poster
    I still cannot calibrate still and truck is still very slow... any ideas ??? Tried reversing motor direction on Castle Link snd still nothjng... swapped wires.... not sure why there is problem calibrating and why truck is so slow... any feedback would be great

RC Qualifier
    Did you ever check to see if your telemetry is hooked up? If it's not, the receiver will not give full throttle input. This has been documented in other threads. If the truck can't give full throttle input to the ESC it's never going to calibrate.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6147235
    Last edited by bigtim1985; 03-06-2016 at 12:56 PM.

RC poster
    Would that also cause very slow speeds ???

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast