RC poster

Has anybody tried a different radio system?

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems like some of the patterns and opinions of people on here are thinking it may be radio related issues causing or contributing to the crashes. I was wondering if anyone has tried a different radio system or if it can even be done? I had similar issues when I put my Hero 4 in live mode with my different trucks (connected to my iphone via wifi) and it was intermittently interfering bad causing crashes and runaways. I replaced my radio system with a different brand and no longer have any issues.

RC Competitor
    Cannot use another radio with aton as of right now unless change reciever I wanted to bind my dx6i

RC Racer
    The problem is integration. The receiver is integrated. im working to see if we can solve that problem. As I would really like to use my Hitec Aurora
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    The problem is integration. The receiver is integrated. im working to see if we can solve that problem. As I would really like to use my Hitec Aurora
    I was wondering about that. Hopefully, they will find something soon to remedy the issues. I really want this quad, but just can't pull the trigger on something that may shatter into pieces on the first flight.

RC Qualifier
    Would think traxxas could make a bigger controller especially for when the 3 axis gimbal comes out. Pretty sure the program to link controller to the aton is on some kind of eprom chip in the controller. Aren't some of the more advanced controllers user programmable?
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 02-04-2016 at 09:12 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorHobbies View Post
    What does "the receiver is integrated" mean?

RC Qualifier
    I'm guessing it's a computer chip or series of chips that are soldered on to the electrical board as opposed to the stand alone receivers that the Traxxas RC cars use.

Receiver and ESC are one piece/board and the battery plugs right into it.. Just like the Alias.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Correct Integrated means one board with everything built together. Just like the Alias.
    Just because its there doesn't mean its for sale.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Receiver and ESC are one piece/board and the battery plugs right into it.. Just like the Alias.
    So if you changed it out to a two piece receiver and esc you could use a spectrum remote?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasaton View Post
    So if you changed it out to a two piece receiver and esc you could use a spectrum remote?
    You would need 4 esc's. You might as well just gut it and put a new system in then.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamPlayer View Post
    You would need 4 esc's. You might as well just gut it and put a new system in then.
    Right, don't a lot of drones use 4 escs?

RC Qualifier
    I've seen a product that integrates 4 units into 1.

RC Racer
    The advantage of Individual esc are when one burn down, you don't have to change the whole 4 in 1 esc, but only time will tell when one burn down. Although the 4 in 1 unit makes the build clean & tidy.

RC Qualifier

Has anybody tried a different radio system?

I have a Frsky Taranis I was going to use for a flame wheel 450 build and then I got the Aton. The quality of the two remotes is night and day, but so are their respective prices. The Taranis feels so good in your hands and inspires confidence with how responsive and precise the gimbals are. Not to mention it has so many switches and buttons you could probably pilot a NASA rover with it. I really wish Traxxas had designed it in a way where other radios could be used.
    Last edited by Slono; 02-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.