Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC poster

Question Binding error TQi tramsmitter (6528) with TSM receiver (6533)

Hope you can help, I've been looking round these forums but did not find a similar problem (yet).

I bought myself a new TQi receiver with TSM capability, I assumed it would be factory bound/linked but apparently not. So I tried to bind it
    1. power on the transmitter while pressing the set button (transmitter slowly blinks red)
    2. power on the model/receiver while pressing the link button
    3. both leds become..... not green, the transmitter starts to blink quickly red (link error) the moment the receiver is powered and the receiver keeps on blinking red.

I tried binding my old (6519) receiver to the transmitter, no problem. So the transmitter can work and the procedure is correct. So conclusion: receiver bad. The shop where I bought the combo gave me good service and sent me a second receiver, same problem however.

https://youtu.be/BDVE2m4Cclg

Now it could be that I was sent an older transmitter (with multi-function knob) that is not (yet) compatible with the TSM receiver but before I spent more cash on buying the Bluetooth module (6511) to firmware update the transmitter with my phone can somebody please confirm this behavior and give me reasonable hope this will fix things?

Thank you,
    Remco

RC Qualifier
    Reset the Tx to factory defaults and then Bind it to the Receiver

1. Turn off Transmitter
    2. Press and Hold both Menu and Set
    3. Turn on Transmitter
    4. Release both buttons
    5. Transmitter now blinks Red
    6. Press Set
    7. LED in now Green and back to factory defaults
    8. Bind to Receiver, do the following
    9. Turn off Transmitter and Receiver
    10. Open the Receiver box
    11. Press and Hold Set button on Transmitter Turn on
    12. Transmitter LED will flash red slowly - Release the Set button
    13. Press and Hold Receiver Link button (This is inside the Receiver box)
    14. Turn on Truck
    15. Release Link button
    16. Transmitter and Receiver LED should now be solid Green. (Transmitter and Receiver are Green, this not concern the ECS yet)
    17. Confirm steering works.
    18. Apply small amount of silicon grease to the Receiver gasket
    19. Be sure everything in Receiver box is plugged in and wires are not pinched
    20. Replace Receiver cover.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC poster

Exclamation

Thank you for taking the time to respond Electromen, however this did not resolve the issue (tried it before I posted too).
    So I re-did it on camera:
    https://youtu.be/hsjqXzEY3BU

I first factory reset the transmiter, then attempted to bind to the 6533: error
    then to prove the transmitter can work properly I bound it again to the original receiver that came with my Raptor a 6519 without problems.

Has anybody seen this before? And was it resolved with a software update of the transmitter?

Thank you for your time

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rbreen View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond Electromen, however this did not resolve the issue (tried it before I posted too).
    So I re-did it on camera:
    https://youtu.be/hsjqXzEY3BU

I first factory reset the transmiter, then attempted to bind to the 6533: error
    then to prove the transmitter can work properly I bound it again to the original receiver that came with my Raptor a 6519 without problems.

Has anybody seen this before? And was it resolved with a software update of the transmitter?

Thank you for your time
    1. Switch batteries in the transmitter. Use the ones from the other transmitter, that way you know they're good.
    2. When you plug the grey connector into the receiver, are you using the third slot up, marked channel 2?
    3. Look for damage on the antenna.
    Last edited by Electromen; 02-11-2016 at 06:20 AM.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    Reset the Tx to factory defaults and then Bind it to the Receiver

1. Turn off Transmitter
    2. Press and Hold both Menu and Set
    3. Turn on Transmitter
    4. Release both buttons
    5. Transmitter now blinks Red
    6. Press Set
    7. LED in now Green and back to factory defaults
    8. Bind to Receiver, do the following
    9. Turn off Transmitter and Receiver
    10. Open the Receiver box
    11. Press and Hold Set button on Transmitter Turn on
    12. Transmitter LED will flash red slowly - Release the Set button
    13. Press and Hold Receiver Link button (This is inside the Receiver box)
    14. Turn on Truck
    15. Release Link button
    16. Transmitter and Receiver LED should now be solid Green. (Transmitter and Receiver are Green, this not concern the ECS yet)
    17. Confirm steering works.
    18. Apply small amount of silicon grease to the Receiver gasket
    19. Be sure everything in Receiver box is plugged in and wires are not pinched
    20. Replace Receiver cover.
    I followed your steps since I got new tqi tx and rx with tsm everything works except steering is reversed. How do I correct it?

also how do you get the tsm to work? or do you need the bluetooth module?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stick View Post
    I followed your steps since I got new tqi tx and rx with tsm everything works except steering is reversed. How do I correct it?

also how do you get the tsm to work? or do you need the bluetooth module?
    n/m i figured it out

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stick View Post
    n/m i figured it out
    I just saw this, glad you figured it out.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

but before I spent more cash on buying the Bluetooth module (6511) to firmware update the transmitter with my phone can somebody please confirm this behavior and give me reasonable hope this will fix things?

Thank you,
    Remco
    Remco..
    I think you're going to need the bluetooth module first
    as it needs to make an update right away.

Edit: Or borrow one from someone just to update it
    in the vehicle.
    Last edited by Rich2; 02-10-2016 at 11:03 PM.

RC poster
    Correct, the first 2 are for dual steering servo's.

I ordered the Bluetooth module (#6511) today. I'll update you when I get it.
    In some threads I see the question if you need it to setup TSM (as described in the manual). I've seen people respond: "no" but (assuming the firmware update resolves the issue) that answer should be: you could be lucky (depending on the firmware in the transmitter you receive)
    Last edited by rbreen; 02-11-2016 at 06:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    1. Switch batteries in the transmitter. Use the ones from the other transmitter, that way you know they're good.
    2. Look for damage on the antenna.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC poster
    Which antenna? On the receiver? The tranmitter I'll leave closed and under warrenty until this issue is resolved (then I'll try to add a third channel switch).

I have received 2 of these 6533 (both not binding) and they look to be in the same shape as the 6519 (3 channel without TSM and telemetry), not really sure what to look for but the important bit: the last ~5cm cosmetically looks fine, no bents or other obvious damage. I could measure them how long they stick out of the sleeve to make sure.

Also I'll put in different batteries in my transmitter tonight and try.

I just received an E-mail that the BT module has shipped, so hopefully more news tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    I meant the Receiver antenna. Two 6533, not working, as you know, most likely means a problem with the Transmitter.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC poster
    So for science I tried with new/different batteries, same result....

Also I took a close look at the antennas and they appear fine, no apparent damage to the coax cable, nor to the tip. One has a slight bend but nothing serious and the antenna tube will straighten this out.

One think I found remarkable is that for all 3 receivers is that the core sticking out of the clamped metal sleeve is only ~2.85 cm where I expected 3.125 cm (1/4 * 2.4GHz wave). The size including the metal sleeve is approx 5.4cm which also isn't a multiple of 2.4GHz. But since it is the same for all 3 receivers, I guess it is by design?

RC poster
    Apparently there is a problem with delivering the Bluetooth module for the shop, it is still in backorder with Traxxas. So no news yet.

RC Qualifier
    Apparently there is a problem with delivering the Bluetooth module for the shop, it is still in backorder with Traxxas. So no news yet.
    I just did some experimenting. Try this:

1. Turn both the transmitter and truck off.
    2. Hold the receiver link button and turn the truck on.
    3. Hold the set button on the transmitter and turn it on.

For some reason the reverse order worked on my Grandson's Stampede while the manual's order did not.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC poster
    Thank you Electromen for testing and sticking with me until it is solved (no shipment tracking yet for the blue-tooth module).

Just came back from testing on the bench and...... no luck. This time did not bother to make a video.
    Reversing the order: 1. receiver on first in link mode, slowly blinking red 2. turning on the tranmitter with set button down, resulted in 3. a quickly blinking red on the transmitter (after a very short delay) with a receiver still in link mode slow blinking, like it did before at link error. Different order, exactly the same result.

Still have good hopes for the firmware upgrade, once I get my hands on the trx6511.

RC poster

Solved by replacement

Disappointing ending to this thread (in some ways)....

The bluetooth module has yet to arrive. Since this was taking so long I returned the set to the shop for them to fix it locally. I included a note pointing to this thread that I not only wanted it fixed, I wanted to know how they fixed it.
    They didn't, they just returned a new working set (I recorded the serials on transmitter and receiver before I shipped it).

So my problem is fixed but I don't know if firmware upgrade would have fixed it.
    Anyway I still have the bluetooth module coming so I can properly setup my model and maybe add some telemetry (that voltage monitor that comes with the temperature probe seems usefull).

Thanks to everyone who contributed, sorry your curiosity (and mine) is not satisfied.

RC poster
    Disappointing ending to this thread (in some ways)....

Thanks to everyone who contributed, sorry your curiosity (and mine) is not satisfied.
    Sorry to barge in on this old thread, but I just wanted to share my experience.

I also had an "older" transmitter (came with a non-TSM car) that I wanted to link to a new 6533-TSM receiver. Same problem (red led blinking rapidly on transmitter).
    Luckily, I had already the bluetooth module lying around for another car, so I put it in this transmitter.
    The traxxas app on iPhone immediately updated the firmware of the transmitter, and then I could link it without problems.Once linked, the iphone app also updated the firmware of the receiver (through the controller - pretty cool if you ask me)

Hope this helps...

RC poster
    Do u hav2 hav a Bluetooth tqi remote to link a Android phone to traxxas link app or can I do it with out

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy82 View Post
    Do u hav2 hav a Bluetooth tqi remote to link a Android phone to traxxas link app or can I do it with out
    To use the App you must have the Bluetooth wireless module #6511.

Quote from Traxxas:

"Device Requirements
    Traxxas Link is designed for use with Android 4.4 and up or iOS 4.3 and later. Traxxas Link is compatible with Android equipped devices, iPhone (4S, 5, 5C, 5S), iPod touch (5th generation and later versions), iPad (3rd generation and later versions), or iPad mini. For full functionality, Traxxas Link requires a Traxxas TQi transmitter with Traxxas Link Wireless Module and a TQi receiver installed in the model. Telemetry functions require Traxxas telemetry sensors to be installed on your model."
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC poster
    Hi guys, I saw this thread and saw that you guys are having the same problem I'm having.

I have a rustler VXL Tqi 6533 receiver (factory stock) and 6528 transmitter (factory stock)
    I do not have a bluetooth link module. And currently, my servo stopped working, and now I am unable to link my transmitter to my receiver. Does a bluetooth link mod fix this? Anyway to link it? Thanks

RC poster
    This problem is solved!
    I had exactly the same problem with 6533 receiver and 6530 transmitter (Summit). I installed receiver and connected all servos, EVX-2, telemetry sensors and telemetry expander with GPS module and then started to bind the receiver. After several unsuccessful attempts, I disconnected all telemetry and servos from the receiver, leaving only EVX-2 connected and started the binding process once again. It was successful from the first attempt. Then I opened Link application and it detected TSM receiver and requested to perform firmware upgrade.

For some reason, 6533 binding failed when telemetry expander is connected.

RC Racer
    I know I am reviving an old thread but surprisingly this is the most recent info google displays when searching Bluetooth failure with traxxas TSM receiver update.

Have a literally 5 day old X Maxx 8s and bought the Bluetooth adapter and turned everything on. Updated the transmitter fine and when it went to the receiving very it kept switching between validating and then barely installing, validating, installing on and on. Tried the above and didn’t work. I called Traxxas and they said if it jams up at Receiver then it’s 99% a receiver problem and normally they would require me to send in truck but he offered to send me out a new receiver! This is why I love Traxxas. So, am currently awaiting new receiver and will let you know if it works.

Also I was terrified I bricked the truck as the transmitter inputs would do nothing even after closing the app and all you have to do is force close the app, turn everything off then back on and you can bash away while you wait for receiver or just decide to return Bluetooth module.

RC poster
    I have an TQI transmitter 5 channel, 6513-4-5,
    And I am not able to Connect it to the receiver TQI 6533.

Al firmware updates are done,

Has anyone here an idea?

Greets from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by GerryVXL2905 View Post
    I have an TQI transmitter 5 channel, 6513-4-5,
    And I am not able to Connect it to the receiver TQI 6533.

Al firmware updates are done,

Has anyone here an idea?

Greets from Germany
    How were you able to update the firmware with the radio not being linked?
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL