RC poster

Unhappy 2x4 slash w Castle SCT system?

New to cars, have bought the SCT system but need to know gear size for pinion using 3 cell lipo. Don't want to run the motor or esc to hot. Had to send the Vxl system back to Traxxas as within 2 min it smoked the esc on 3 cell lipo 4500mh 60c battery. All help would be appreciated.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Your castle should of came with a booklet that lists the gears - and speeds you should expect, use one of those gears in the middle, and check the temperature every 2 minutes. If the motor is not running hot, gear up(more teeth on pinion), and keep checking the heat constantly.

don't exceed 160 degrees on your castle motor (not sure the limit on the esc itself) - the castles run optimally in 90-150 degrees... you cant touch test this one, you need a temp gun or gauge.

This is going to be different for every single person, because no two people bash the same! What might work for someone, will dieinafire on someone else's truck.

I believe your ESC was bad, as I have a VXL, and constantly put a 11.1v 3s pack thru the truck after its been warmed up with a 2s lipo or stock nihm battery. (sometimes I start off with the 3s, but no problems, I'm running stock gearing (not the high speed pinion) slipper clutch is a little more than half a turn out, and using heavy proline trenchers.)

I was not having heat issues, but bought the VXL esc fan, and the motor heatsink+fan, these are nice for cooling down between runs.

RC poster
    I appreciate your response, I got the gearing chart with my motor but it gives nothing for 3 cell. I know the stock gearing is 23/86 and have to buy a 5mm pinion for the motor so I thought I would ask the expert garage mechanics on here for a gear recommendation. At least this set up came with fans for both motor and esc.

I'm assuming that you are using the sidewinder esc, not the mamba max. The sidewinder can't handle 3s in a slash, only 2s. The slash is too heavy. The motor is fine, but the sidewinder is a weak esc. I run 23/86 on 2s, and occasionally over heat in 90 degree Utah summers. The mamba max will be able to handle anything you put at it.

RC poster
    Using the mamba max pro esc

That changes everything lol! 23/86 sounds good for that. I don't have one myself, but they are one of the strongest 1/10th escs on the market. The esc should be fine temperature wise, just watch the motor for a couple of runs.

RC poster
    I use 23/86 and after running a full 3S 4300 through it the motor is barely over 100 degrees. It has always been between 40-50 degrees here while running it.

I'm using the sidewinder SCT. . .