RC Enthusiast

Gas powered (not nitro) RC?

Hey all,

I remember reading an article a few years back in RC Car Action or RC Driver about gasoline-powered RC cars/trucks expecting to make a big come back and become the "next big thing". With brushless kind of killing a lot of the appeal that nitro once held, it seems electric is becoming the most popular.

But if I'm not mistaken, it's a lot less hassle to maintain the gas-powered RC than the nitro - plus, the gas is a lot cheaper than your typical $20-$25 gallon of nitro.

I just watched an old video of the Traxxas Monster Buggy and it reminded me of reading that article. So did the predicted comeback of gasoline RC not happen, or did I just miss it? I think it was HPI that said they were going to start releasing some new gas models, but I never heard anything about it after that.

Disclaimer: My memory isn't the best, so I could've imagined the whole article I think I read about this, but I'm 99% positive I read this in an RC magazine.

Thoughts?

HPI and LOSI came out with gas-powered monster trucks but they had their issues; you still needed to tune the engine (which a lot of people were hoping NOT for) and you needed to buy their special oil at $15/container which would go into one gallon of gas. The actual savings just weren't there.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    HPI and LOSI came out with gas-powered monster trucks but they had their issues; you still needed to tune the engine (which a lot of people were hoping NOT for) and you needed to buy their special oil at $15/container which would go into one gallon of gas. The actual savings just weren't there.
    In the end, it is still a pain to run gas (nitro or pump) in smaller RCs, and electric is king. This is link of opposite from 1/5 scale RCs, where it is a big pain and very expensive to feed them lipo packs, where 2-cycle engines make life a lot easier.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Na. You don't need their garbage oil. They're special oil is only slightly better than oil for Stihl chainsaws and it smells horrible. I ran HPI's oil in my 5b during break in and it was awful smelling. It was worse smelling than Stihl oil. Next gallon I mixed up was Klotz super techniplate. It's probably one of the best racing 2 stroke oils ever made and it's only about $11 a quart. I use what ratio HPI says for that motor and I think it's only a little over 5 ounces per gallon. So doing the math I get close to 6 gallons of mixed fuel per quart of oil.

The only reason they did that was to keep people from running just plain old Stihl oil which isn't up to the task of the high RPM's. Castor additive is needed for that but there are plenty of better 2 stroke oils out there than their "special oil". It's just that most regular Joe Consumers don't know that.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 02-07-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    The only reason they did that was to keep people from running just plain old Stihl oil which isn't up to the task of the high RPM's. Castor additive is needed for that but there are plenty of better 2 stroke oils out there than their "special oil". It's just that most regular Joe Consumers don't know that.
    Now I know.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Not arguing the fact but i find it funny that Stihl oil is not designed for high RPM when everything they make is usually run wide open and no in between

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Not arguing the fact but i find it funny that Stihl oil is not designed for high RPM when everything they make is usually run wide open and no in between
    Well most Stihl stuff only runs about 10,000 to 15,000 RPM unloaded which may sound like alot and it is but compared to the gas RC engines that are designed to run in the 20,000+ RPM range "loaded" it's a whole different ball game.

Rule of thumb no matter what size the engine...

The smaller the displacement, the more reactive it becomes to change in weather, altitude, anything that changes the density of the air... 2 stroke, 4 stroke, nitro, pump gas. No matter. It's all about displacement...

You go to those larger pump Gas R/C's and look, it's a 32cc engine...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    Gas RC's are great fun but with the technology going into electric RC's the electrics are going to dominate.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

I choose my three 1/5 scales over my nitro or electric rigs all day, any day. They are a blast and does not require a lot of tinkering with the carb. Only downfall.... not designed to be ran in highly populated areas without making someone very angry My electric models are extremely fast and are good when time is limited but I still prefer the smell and sound of a real engine
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    Ive been kida debating on selling a few rigs to buy a 1/5 scale truck. Their so freakin big! And now that I can drive i can take it to somewhere far without annoying my parents. haha Should I buy new or used?

I just picked up a nice used 5B last week. I gotta say, it's a blast! I'd still rather run any of my electric 1/10th cars, but the 5th scale is a whole different animal.

I can't stand nitro for obvious reasons. However, the 5th scale gassers are a different story. Not much tuning and they tend to always start and run, unlike nitro where a minor temp change will have you chasing a tune way too often. My 5B has an aftermarket tuned pipe, so I had to make some adjustments to the low speed needle. Once I found the sweet spot, I haven't had to touch it since. That's about it. Just put pre-mix in the tank and go.

As far as oil goes, no need to run any special r/c oil. I'm running Yamalube 2R oil and it works great. Actually much better than an r/c-specific oil. If it's good enough to run a high performance 2-stroke dirt bike engine, then it's plenty good for a glorified weed wacker engine. I prefer Honda HP2 because I always raced Honda BITD and always used their oil without issue. I just happened to have a bottle of Yamalube laying around, so that's what I put in the 5B.

Only down sides I've found to 5th scale gas is that, especially with the aftermarket pipe, it's very loud. Not something you can really run in your yard or neighborhood. Plus, it's huge and fairly fast, so running in the yard wouldn't be a good idea even if it was quiet.

The other down side is that it's big and heavy and can seriously hurt someone. First time out with the car, I met up with a group of friends in a good sized pit. We had a few 5th scale gassers, a pair of X-Maxxes, and a couple other cars. Total mayhem! I was constantly looking around for people and vehicles. My son was with me and one other guy had his son there too. I was non-stop checking on my son and making him stand right next o me. He's 6 and kids can have a short attention span at times. All it would take if for him to wander off one time and get hit with one of these things. I don't even want to think about that!

Ideal conditions for me would be a large dirt area with a hill or some raised structure to drive from. 2 or 3 people and cars, at the most. I did get to run at another spot with just me and one other guy. It was the most fun I've had with an r/c in a long time!

Hey Harry, I agree with them being loud. My 5B SS kit came with the HPI tuned pipe and it was ear shattering loud and didn't offer much power. You should look into the DDM Dominator silenced pipe. It has a silencer core built into the tuned pipe with silencer packing that is replaceable. It's still loud but it takes that shattering pitch down a couple notches and it sounds fantastic and has good power too. I run one on mine and couldn't believe how much better and quieter the sound was.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Hey Harry, I agree with them being loud. My 5B SS kit came with the HPI tuned pipe and it was ear shattering loud and didn't offer much power. You should look into the DDM Dominator silenced pipe. It has a silencer core built into the tuned pipe with silencer packing that is replaceable. It's still loud but it takes that shattering pitch down a couple notches and it sounds fantastic and has good power too. I run one on mine and couldn't believe how much better and quieter the sound was.

That must be the pipe my buddy has on his. I noticed it looked similar, but much nicer finish and sounds way quieter. Mine is has that obnoxious ping to it. I would imagine that just the silencer aspect would add some needed back pressure and help performance.

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna go browse ebay now.