Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

I don't wanna grow up! My 4x4 stampede basher

Greetings,

My name is Justin. I'm 31 and recently purchased a 4x4 Stampede. I've owned a few RCs over the years; a few toy RC cars as a kid, a Rustler & Bandit for a short bit, a mini-T, a Horizon Blade MCX2 and a Redcat Nitro Volcano. All of my previous electric vehicles were before the onset of waterproof electronics and LiPo batteries.

Why did I choose a 4x4 stampede? It's strong, parts are readily available (generally can fix it the same day), large aftermarket, and very versatile. I will mostly bash and goof around, there is a track a short distance from work which I hope to visit often, but not race. So here I will share some pictures and information about my evolving 4x4 Stampede.

Purchased with a better charger and 2S LiPo 5000mAH battery (get run times around 40min, which is awesome).

First drive...

RC Racer
    I lowered the body, I didn't like the way it sat so high off the chassis, still needs to go lower, but I want a different body too.

The snow melted and I visited the track. It was very muddy, and I needed to do a lot of disassembly and cleaning afterward, but was totally worth it! I also started to play with the front ride height, from the box it was set up very high and stiff, lowering it about .125" resulted in some improved handling, I also began to adjust front toe and alignment, slowly improving the "turn in".

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just wait till you go brushless

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    just wait till you go brushless
    Yes, this will happen, hopefully within a month. There's a saying "speed to failure", I'm trying to improve my driving skills and tune the handling because more power is useless if all I do is break it, HAHA!

To go along with that... I broke the steering link between the bell cranks, somehow the LHS didn't have it so had to wait a couple days. I also ordered some suspension parts and wheels/ tires. I don't love these tires and wheels, I thought they would be good for running around parking lots, but with a smaller diameter they top out really quick (and slow), and I'm not sure they provide all that much more traction.

I installed the LOSI springs, RPM shock guards, and aluminum shock caps but did not change the oil or limit the shock travel. I try to make one change at a time, so I can notice the difference it makes. With the springs I achieved a lower ride height and the handling has greatly improved (but so has my driving)! It now squats a bit better and has more traction, off throttle the front dives a little more and grips and turns in quicker, the springs are slightly stiffer so the rear inside tire lifts a little less. I'm quite happy with these springs.

Some items I'm looking at next are a stainless steel screw set (the black oxide is rusting a bit), better all around tires (trenchers? badlands? any input is welcome!), possibly sway bars, and definitely a different body!

Quote Originally Posted by thetech View Post
    I lowered the body, I didn't like the way it sat so high off the chassis, still needs to go lower, but I want a different body too.

The snow melted and I visited the track. It was very muddy, and I needed to do a lot of disassembly and cleaning afterward, but was totally worth it! I also started to play with the front ride height, from the box it was set up very high and stiff, lowering it about .125" resulted in some improved handling, I also began to adjust front toe and alignment, slowly improving the "turn in".

They are fun! Welcome to the P4de family! If bashing mainly I'd get that antenna down under the body and super glue the black rubber boot on end of blue tube.

To shorten antenna, take black wire out of tube, cut blue tube down to fit under body, glue boot on, when dry re-insert the black antenna wire into blue tube and set back in to chassis. Now loosen the wire cap on top of the RX box and take the extra black wire and push back in to RX box.

What ever you do don't damage the silver part at the end of black wire where insulation is stripped off or cut antenna wire. This will reduce your range down to like 15'.

I'd suggest the shoe goo body mod as well.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forums, good to see new people. Haven't tried badlands but can say I have really enjoyed my Trenchers. Tower hobbies is a good source for parts if your LHS doesn't have what you need, 1.99 for standard shipping 4.99 for priority which means you'll get it in 2 days most of the time. I always check Amazon too though, with Prime 2 day shipping is free.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

I am starting to look at brushless systems, and have a couple questions.

Are my differentials geared differently than the VXL? I imagine a shorter ratio for better acceleration?

I've been looking at a couple systems, I plan to run 2S lipo (that's what i have and i like the size). I am not looking for blistering top speeds over 40mph, I'd just like to be able to clear some doubles at the track, and maybe do some wheelies. I also don't want to be constantly worried about my motor/ esc temps, and the system needs to be waterproof.

Here's what I've considered:

Traxxas velineon VXL-3S /3500 combo - not sure if its worth more than the next options

Castle Sidewinder SV3 & 3800kv combo

Castle Sidewinder SV3 & 4600kv combo - this should be faster than the 3800 but am i going to worry about heat?

I appreciate any feedback!

RC Qualifier
    Go big man. You can go slower with a fast motor but you can't go fast with a slow motor. Gear down if you want and never have to think about heat.

I love my sidewinder 1/8 2200 combo.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

I am starting to look at brushless systems, and have a couple questions.

Are my differentials geared differently than the VXL? I imagine a shorter ratio for better acceleration?

I've been looking at a couple systems, I plan to run 2S lipo (that's what i have and i like the size). I am not looking for blistering top speeds over 40mph, I'd just like to be able to clear some doubles at the track, and maybe do some wheelies. I also don't want to be constantly worried about my motor/ esc temps, and the system needs to be waterproof.

Here's what I've considered:

Traxxas velineon VXL-3S /3500 combo - not sure if its worth more than the next options

Castle Sidewinder SV3 & 3800kv combo

Castle Sidewinder SV3 & 4600kv combo - this should be faster than the 3800 but am i going to worry about heat?

I appreciate any feedback!
    The lower the kv the bigger battery you can run. My SCT combo with 3800 can run 2s, 2200 & 2650 can run 6s. On the same voltage the 4600 is faster than than 3800 but the 3800 can run more battery power than the 4600 causing it to be the same if not faster. Clear as mud huh. Lol The higher kv will produce more heat as well.

The teeth the VXL part (#5379X) have a 37T ring gear and a 13T pinion (2.85 ratio) in diff, whereas the brushed version parts (#6778) have a 47T ring gear and a 12T pinion gear (3.92 ratio) I have switched over my ring and pinion gears in both of my diff's. There's nothing wrong with keeping brushed gearing. My 3800kv Castle motor was faster than my bro vxl 3500kv motor pede out of the box. Both trucks had their out of the box stock gearing in diff's. I ran stock brushed gearing in my P4de for 3 months before I switched out gears.
    Last edited by Briber; 02-09-2016 at 11:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the feedback! As previsouly mentioned I'll be sticking with 2S LiPo for the brushless system, so I'm currently leaning toward the 4600kv and a 14t pinion. If I was building a bigger beefier truck I think i'd go for 3S and a 2XXXkv motor, but I'm trying to keep this manageable for a 1/10.

I've been home from work the past couple of days, so in between healing I decided to dye the chassis. I used 1 box of black RIT dye, and added 1/4 of white distilled vinegar. I had it in hot water for about 1.5hrs, then turned off and went out for a bit. Total time about 3 hours, but I honestly believe it was done soaking up dye in the first 1-1.5 hours. It came out pretty fantastic.

All disassembled before:

After:

During disassembly I found the center slipper clutch carrier bearing was frozen, it wouldn't move at all, so while I had it apart I replaced the bearing, and upgraded the adapter to aluminum.

I added a set of "Body-Klip Retainers" too, and currently the body is drying from a treatment of shoe goo and drywall mesh tape. The chassis is much more "hidden" now that it's black

Check out that black chassis! (I really need the stainless steel screw kit)

Last edited by thetech; 02-11-2016 at 01:31 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    The black chassis is a great mod. Wish I had the patience to do it, maybe some day lkl

Don't forget about the antenna mod. Its important! The vxl comes with antenna under body already. If that antenna gets damaged in any way your range is greatly affected. When mine was I only got 10' before I lost signal.

Imo Trx should just do stub antenna on all vehicles that way you don't even have to worry about it.

Well I will turn 40 in May and Ive just started over with this again since my younger days when I and my brother owned a Kyosho Optima and a Tamiya Hotshot.

:-)

Stampede 4x4 VXL and X-Maxx and a BSD land ripper 1/8 buggy ;-)

RC Qualifier
    I just turned 61. I got back into this after my boys had them in the 80's & 90's. Right now there are five in our family.
    two Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    two Stampede 4x4 VXL
    one Skully
    I'm looking at an E-Revo Brushless now, looks like a solid machine.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Well I will turn 40 in May and Ive just started over with this again since my younger days when I and my brother owned a Kyosho Optima and a Tamiya Hotshot.

:-)

Stampede 4x4 VXL and X-Maxx and a BSD land ripper 1/8 buggy ;-)
    My uncle ended up back in the hobby when I got my pede the said he had a grasshopper and he wants to give it to me once he found it, no luck yet.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

I don't wanna grow up either, I'm 43. My 38yr old brother came in town from WA state and I talked him in to a vxl lol. All he had was a carry on, so he packed his truck in it first, then what ever clothes he could and left the rest. Priorities I tell ya lol.

RC Racer
    Wow, I wasn't sure what the age group would be on the forum, I'm glad I'm not the only big kid.

https://youtu.be/qO3OKFDMrZU

Welcome. How have you managed to get you lid to sit that low? (lid meaning your p4de body) I love it. I got my p4de the same a yours and upgraded a lot just haven't been able to get the lid to sit like yours? how do you have it and if you could can you show photo please..? thank you.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    Welcome. How have you managed to get you lid to sit that low? (lid meaning your p4de body) I love it. I got my p4de the same a yours and upgraded a lot just haven't been able to get the lid to sit like yours? how do you have it and if you could can you show photo please..? thank you.
    Thank you again for the warm greetings.

I got the body lower by cutting down the body posts. It was simple, I attached the picture for visual aid.

1. I drilled the screw hole deeper first, almost all the way through the post (green line). I had a tap for the thread size, but you probably can just thread using the screw, the plastic is soft.

2. Then cut off the extra post height (red lines), I trimmed quite a bit, only 5mm remains.

3. I used a small saw to notch the bottom and it meets up with the notch on the body post mount. I suppose you could also cut off the notch on the post mount.

Hope that helps.

I'll shorten the antenna soon, thanks Briber!

Oh, I just ordered a Castle Creations 3800kv & Sidewinder combo! I'll be keeping the brushed differential gearing for now, I was thinking a 14 tooth pinion, any suggestions?

Oh, I just ordered a Castle Creations 3800kv & Sidewinder combo! I'll be keeping the brushed differential gearing for now, I was thinking a 14 tooth pinion, any suggestions?
    12t is great for wheelie bashing fun, 18t and higher is great for speed, 15t is perfect in between!

If I remember correctly, for our motor, Castle only recommends15t max for our weight/scale vehicles. If you use above that the warranty wont cover motor if it shoots craps.

They do have flat rate non warranty replacement for $75 should something happen. Also they do not sell motor rebuild kits anymore. I found a website that does(don't know if there's more) it was $50 for 5mm shaft kit.
    Last edited by Briber; 02-13-2016 at 11:37 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    12t is great for wheelie bashing fun, 18t and higher is great for speed, 15t is perfect in between!

If I remember correctly, for our motor, Castle only recommends15t max for our weight/scale vehicles. If you use above that the warranty wont cover motor if it shoots craps.
    Ok, I'll see what the LHS has.

In other news.... "that escalated quickly!"

Ok, I'll see what the LHS has.

In other news.... "that escalated quickly!"

I've never messed with field programing card let me know what ya think and how it works.

That install kit works great!

Hey thanks for responding but theres no photo like you said with any green or red lines or any photo showing what your speaking of. Could you possible try again please? I have the castle 3800kv SCT sidewinder and I have mine at 16/52 and I use 2s/3s no problem. I do have castle link ( I recommend you get , things amazing what you can do). I do have a temp gun and run a pack or two at a time and don't have issues. One time I did manage to break my servo saver, how I'm still curious. I never hit anything just all a sudden my p4de all done. but yeah if you wouldn't mind retrying that for me id be thankfully and hope my input helps.

hey also when your running your XL-5 Brushed on 2s what did you have that geared at?? did you have temp problems? break anything?

RC Racer
    hey also when your running your XL-5 Brushed on 2s what did you have that geared at?? did you have temp problems? break anything?
    I broke stuff, but from bad driving, nothing to do with the battery. It's a 5000mah 20c 2s lipo, no heat issues, of course it hasn't been above 40*F. Stock gearing 9/54.

RC Racer
    Hey thanks for responding but theres no photo like you said with any green or red lines or any photo showing what your speaking of. Could you possible try again please?
    Hm, weird, it shows up fine for me, its just one photobucket photo of the body post/ mount. I pm'ed you the link, maybe it will work that way. Can you see the other pictures in this thread?

I got the photo to show on the thread, I had to reload the page and I also looked at in on what you sent. thanks agsin. since you live in CT do you go to Hobby ETC for you parts and supplies?

with 9/54 on a lipo with the brushed setup, on a scale one to ten is it impressive? I'm surprised that even with that setup and gearing you didn't fry that brushed motor. My wife and I each got a p4de and when we went to break the motors in on them hers fried. she never used reverse like they say and it had the stock gearing and battery that comes with it. once that happened I upgraded asap. anyways I'm shocked and want to try that with the brushed motor and esc that I pulled out of my setup. When she fried her motor the hobby store and traxxas backed up the product and gave her a whole new truck, lucky. I d love and respect traxxas.

RC Racer
    with 9/54 on a lipo with the brushed setup, on a scale one to ten is it impressive? I'm surprised that even with that setup and gearing you didn't fry that brushed motor. My wife and I each got a p4de and when we went to break the motors in on them hers fried. she never used reverse like they say and it had the stock gearing and battery that comes with it. once that happened I upgraded asap. anyways I'm shocked and want to try that with the brushed motor and esc that I pulled out of my setup. When she fried her motor the hobby store and traxxas backed up the product and gave her a whole new truck, lucky. I d love and respect traxxas.
    It's really not that impressive, its torquey, it will burnout and what not, but it tops out pretty quick. The battery really isn't that crazy, it's only supplying 8.4v max, same as the stock nimh, and with 5000mah and 20c, it can only supply a max of 100 amps.

As for Hobby ETC, I've never been. RC Madness is a short drive from my work, and I really like another LHS "The Time Machine".

RC Racer
    Picked up a clear stampede body, couldn't find an SUV type body I really wanted at the moment. Time to give it an expensive paint job! I also go the battery connector and a 14T pinion so I can put the brushless system in.

RC Racer
    I've been very busy with other projects, so finally had a chance to go bash around on Saturday. I didn't break anything and it took quite a few tumbles. Antenna is getting shortened next.

Also had a chance to finish the paint on the shell. I've never painted an RC shell before, but have plenty of spray can experience from other hobbies. I cleaned and masked the entire insides of the shell with Frog Tape, drew my pattern, then using a light box cut the pattern in, including window masks. The only pic I have at the moment is after spraying the black, and red then starting to remove some of the masking before the next color.

I will take some daylight pictures today and post finished pictures.

You have chosen.....wisely!
    "RED"

Looking forward to seeing it done..

I'm excited. Looks stellar so far.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the comments.

As promised, finished photos.

I looked to real Monster Jam trucks for some inspiration. I wanted the pattern to feel a little organic so didn't make it completely symmetric. I screwed up a few spots of masking and the windows are not quite even, every bit of masking hand cut on the inside. I'm pretty happy with it, learned a few things, and looking forward to my next shell. I will be reinforcing with shoe goo and drywall mesh before I drive it.

like spider man only spider p4de SPIDER P4DE SPIDER P4DE

RC Racer
    like spider man only spider p4de SPIDER P4DE SPIDER P4DE
    ha, yeah i guess it's a bit spider p4de like

RC Racer
    Also, the old photo link broke, I can't edit old posts, so here is a new link to the same "in process" photo of painting the shell.

RC Racer
    Not spiders, bees, that's honeycomb. Looks sharp, I like the fade.

RC Racer
    Looks good!!
    FWIW, I have no intention of growing up either. In my 40's now and having more fin than I did with this stuff back a couple of decades ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast