Thread: Bye-bye Alias

RC Enthusiast

Bye-bye Alias

Thanks to a wind that was blowing in from the bay this afternoon, my Alias got lifted practically out of sight and lost in the haze. There goes my Alias and camera. Without some sort of tracking feature, I doubt I'll ever see it again. Chances are some fish is probably taking a selfie with it right now.

Can someone make me feel better and tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to? Please???

That's a tough pill to swallow, LuxD67. I've been pretty careful so far but still had a couple close calls. Good excuse to get an Aton, huh?

RC Enthusiast
    I actually bought one just days ago, which now I'm afraid to fly for fear of losing that one too!

Actually, a buddy had that happen to him twice. On the second time occurrence, he was told by his 9-y-o that is was probably time to stop flying due to wind. Famous last words, "Just one more..." Now that one is lost in the Meadowlands, i.e. "stuck in the mud, somewhere in the swamps of Jersey."
    Most pilots have no business flying downwind of their position. If you can't fly upwind, you should find another place to fly.
    Edit:
    Sorry for your loss.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Well, it STARTED as upwind...

Lol, sorry, I didn't mean to preach.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I feel for ya, I have two brand new Alias's sitting in the box with only two packs run trough them due to either monsoon like rain and the stupidly gusty wind we've had here in FL, way to windy to fly them outside.

I learned that lesson with my 5C quad, a large gust grabbed it, took it way up, and luckily dropped it at the far end of the field instead of taking it out into the marsh(another 200ft).

So no more flying on really windy days for us.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I lost mine twice. The first time I found it about a half mile away in a friend's neighbors yard. The second time, well.... Needless to say, I have a remote and two batteries that haven't seen any use for a while.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxD67 View Post
    Thanks to a wind that was blowing in from the bay this afternoon, my Alias got lifted practically out of sight and lost in the haze. There goes my Alias and camera. Without some sort of tracking feature, I doubt I'll ever see it again. Chances are some fish is probably taking a selfie with it right now.

Can someone make me feel better and tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to? Please???
    Hi luxD67, lost mine yesterday wind was ok at low altitude but at about 50ft up it caught an easterly strong wind and away it went. I immediately reduced throttle to zero, it just carried on rising and away till I could no longer see it. I have looked for over a mile in the general direction (grass fields) but to no avail. The battery was fully charged so tried the walk with transmitter and try to see if I got any responce by rearming etc, no responce. These models are very light and the updraft and wind just kept it flying away never saw it land for over 1/2mile in the air untill I lost track. Shame I liked the alias, but will get something heavier next time. Now what to do with all my spare parts!!!

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    Sorry for your loss,I've lost many helicopters that way.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

Quote Originally Posted by Rick79340 View Post
    Shame I liked the alias, but will get something heavier next time. Now what to do with all my spare parts!!!
    There's the MarketPlace here or eBay.

What parts do you have?

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    That bites. This little copter is way to light to be going high. More of a low flying learning copter to have fun with. Got this to help me learn the basics before buying my aton. Its a fun inexpensive copter and repairs are dirt cheap. Already replaced my frame.

RC Competitor
    I have an Alias as well as a Syma X8C.

Last week, I took the X8C out (I call it the quadfather) and while flying, had a brain fart, and didn't take it up high enough, as it was returning towards me, with trees in the way. Well, it hit the trees, disappearing from sight.

I thought it fell in the brush area, but my son insisted it landed near the golf course about 200 yards away.

Fortunately for me, I had put a label on the X8C with my FAA number, as well as with my phone number. Two days later, I find a text message on my phone letting me know the Balboa Park Golf course pro shop has my quad, that this gentleman found it and returned it to them!

(My son kept saying that someone might find it and return it, as I was cursing my stupidity, reminding me that I had put my phone number on it... he also said it landed by the golf course... don't you HATE it when your 17 year old kid is smarter then you???)

Moral of the story, regardless of if you need to register your quad with the FAA or not, PUT YOUR PHONE NUMBER ON IT!!!

Good advise to us all, thanks! And don't worry that your 17 yr old got an "I told ya so". Not only will it happen again with increasing frequency but at 17 he's still a rookie at making bad decisions!

RC poster
    everyone should consider a tracker: http://www.loc8tor.com/everyday/loc8tor-lite-rc.html/
    there is also the Marco Polo: more pricey: http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-t...-and-recovery/

the cheaper one is easy to justify for a quad worth $200 or so: there is the financial loss but also the frustration involved in losing one.......A phone number does not guarantee you will get it back from whoever found it.

RC poster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    There's the MarketPlace here or eBay.

What parts do you have?
    Well after thinking about it I was missing this great little flyer, so I ordered a second one to replace it.
    So now have plenty of spare props in different colours, motors bearings, etc which should keep my new one flying for some time.

That works, spares are alway good to have on hand.

Great to hear your getting another Alias.

I bought two,one for me & one for my wife, spare props, 8X batteries, Hitec X4 4port charger & adapter leads.

I would fly mine everyday if the wind & weather would cooperate.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 02-22-2016 at 11:59 PM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    I am also waiting for a Hitec duo port as I don't trust unseen charging values. Where I fly I am surrounded by fields for many miles, so I have taken up the suggestion from snowpro2000 by buying a loc8tor. My last flyaway is in a field or tree somewhere, and have tracked miles through field upon field looking, but trying to locate it has been impossible. It will eventually become victim to a farm tractor or combine shame!
    Anyway can't wait to get flying again, but this time with great regard to windy conditions.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for your loss, glad you're getting a new one. I live in Florida like Wildman4910 - and have to admit to flying my Aton in windy conditions too often lately. I want to fly so badly, given that it's new, that I'm risking the 10-15mpg gusts. However, I havent had a single mishap yet. Well, wind mishap that is. I've crashed a few times.

Thinking of getting an Alias as a backup quad, one to fly when I dont care about video ...

RC poster
    It's arrived!!
    Now if only the wind would cooperate (17-20mph at the moment) then I can give it it's maiden flight.
    Looked at the Aton looks a nice package, however lots of new stuff appearing all the time so we wait and see. The Hitec charger has also arrived, and I can say that once you have done battle with the instructions it seems to be well built, and doing a great job.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Rick? Did you get the red hi-Tec? And where did you order it from? I have been looking for the quad charger by hi-tec that someone else showed me on here. It was $50 but I can't seem to find it anywhere. At least not the red one. I've come across a black one that looks similar to the layout but I can't find the exact one he showed me in the picture.

RC Enthusiast
    I Have, well more like had, 2 Aliases. One had the camera mounted, and the other one didn't. That way I didn't have to keep taking the camera on and off because those tiny screws are a nightmare! Figures I'd lose the one with the camera. Anyway, no more high flying with my Alias. I'll leave that stuff to my Aton.

There needs to be a lost copter support group.

RC poster
    Hi Rtwizzler97, I got my Hitec prom power-hobbies, considering I'am not in the US they still gave me good service. I bought the two port multi charger which will charge different types of battery and with different cell counts, but there are many others. For charging Lipo's 1-6S it has many options and good data info on every stage of charge/discharge etc. The Alias only has a 1S battery so no balancing is required but it still needs looking after and if you have more than one cell you can keep an eye on the conditions of each battery.
    My First Alias was orange, the second green, I now have the light bar unit to fit and fly, hoping that when the weather is less windy it will enable me to see better orientation at distance. This little flyer is so fast, so anyone reading this and not flown one won't appreciate how quickly it can get out of sight!

Rtwizzler97, tower hobbies has the Hitec X4 micro charger and the needed leads(3) as it comes with one of them.
    I have been really happy with mine.

X4 micro Charger $46.99
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEBBX

Leads $3.99
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFPFM&P=M

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!