RC poster

Lightbulb Summit or something else???

Opinions needed!!!
    Ok so I was looking to get back into rc, mentioned a summit, and just recieved one as a gift from my gf. (Summit is stock with 2 5000 lipo batteries).
    ...anyway I'm not sure it's the best choice so I'm looking for some opinions. I've driven the summit twice, it really does go anywhere but the lack in speed is killing me.
    I want an rc truck mainly for offroad, backwoods trials, open fields, able to get over the low woods brush, have good speed hopeing for around 40 +mph, good for jumps. Not really looking for a crawler to go up steep rocks or anything, just need something for trails woods mud etc.
    Price $600 max.
    I was looking at the emaxx but then read about the stampede too....
    Or should I keep the summit and do u have upgrades that will give me some speed. Thanks.
    Any opions are greatly appreciated!!!

RC Champion
    Upgrade brushless motor and ESC, and gear it for speed? Since you already have the summit, not sure why you would spend another 600$...

RC poster
    Yea upgrading was what I was leaning towards...
    Was just looking for opinions if the summit, out of the assortment of traxxas trucks, was the best choice for what I'm looking to do with it. (If need be I could have sold the summit and bought a different one).

Any suggestions for upgrades for speed?
    Esc, motor, gears etc...
    *(I've read a ton but could be here for days reading.. plus alot of stuff is old forum posts, and most r guys looking to crawl).

"I'm the builder, not the architect"

RC Champion
    Mamba Max pro and castle 2200kv perhaps? It's pretty standard. Start with 18/54T and watch temps..

RC Enthusiast
    If you want 40+ mph and want to do good jumps, you will be breaking a lot of things on your Summit, your differentials will go quite often for example. I think you got the wrong truck, i'd trade it in for a Yeti XL or a Revo if it was me.
    Summit DeWalt 820 14.4v
    Aton

RC Competitor
    Best bashers I have researched (last 2 months non stop) with great speed are the E Revo, Savage Flux HP or Thunder tiger MT4. All can take a bashing but do your own research too since only you know what you really want. Hope this helps

RC poster
    Thanks everyone for the replys. Just wanted to say I stuck with the summit, the community for the summit is just over the top. Can't even tell you the amount of times I've read about people having a bunch of trucks yet almost always take out the summit. .. and yes it really can go anywhere.
    Btw figured out my real problem was the batteries, so I was only getting 50% power at about 13mph.
    Got a new set of spc lipo 8200mah 50c 2s 7.4v batteries and up to 25mph. Quick enough for now especially in the woods. (40mph now i think is too quick. Id be happy to get between 30 and 35mph and stick to that) Next upgrade will have to be some new tires, maybe trenchers... seems the route most people take, and then the motor/esc. Currently looking at the mmx combo new for 200$.... we will see.
    Again thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by NJWARRIOR89; 02-26-2016 at 06:24 AM.